R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Just ordered the Cooper S today... have a couple of question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 11:18 AM
autox4life
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys i just ordered my Mini from the BMW dealership down here in nashville. I have a couple months to change specifics on my order, because the car's coming in sometime in December. The color is indi blue with white roof and mirrors, along with the sports package. I was wondering if the sunroof, auto ac and onboard computer is worth the 1250 for the premium package? How does the black sunroof look with a white roof? I ordered the leatherette, and it says in the sports package that I get sport seats... what does that mean? Is there a sport seat upgrade for cloth, leatherette, and leather? That kinda confused me... anywho... feel free to chime in

Old 08-08-2002, 11:22 AM
skain
1st Gear
I think the sunroof is worth it, but I like sunroofs.

The sport seats are constructed differently from the standard seats with the main difference being more supportive side bolsters I believe. I know that car & driver highly recommended getting these seats as they thought the standard seats were a bit unsupportive.

I think the material used on the seat is the same regardless of the seat type.

Old 08-08-2002, 11:36 AM
Pebble
4th Gear
Personally I went for the sports package rather than the sun roof. I think the sports package will make motoring all the more fun!

This is because I live in FL and have a shaved head though, a sunroof would cook my brains!

Pebble
:smile:

Old 08-08-2002, 11:43 AM
wessieball
2nd Gear
a

Last edited by wessieball; 05-17-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-08-2002, 11:51 AM
Karol
1st Gear
I also live in Florida, and I love my sunroof. It is a very cool feature, and the net actually very cool and unique. Since the sunroof has a nice dark tint on it it does not get that hot at all. I would be finitely recommend it.

Old 08-08-2002, 11:59 AM
MCS-MAX
Neutral
>>Hey guys i just ordered my Mini from the BMW dealership down here in nashville.

How was your experience with the Nashville dealership? I also live in Nashville and am considering taking the plunge sometime in the not-too-distant future. Just wondering how the guys over at BMW of Nashville treat their MINI customers. Any unwanted dealer add-ons, price-inflation, hassle about test-drives, etc.? Thanks.

Old 08-08-2002, 12:17 PM
RJSquirrel
3rd Gear
To answer your questions, with my 2cents, I think the auto a/c and computer are needless toys. I don't like sunroofs and even with cars I've owned that have 'em, I never use 'em. At any kind of speed you get too much noise. If you like sunroofs, you can get it without it being part of a package. As far as the color, my wife has a white BMW with a sunroof (black) and I've never even considered it an issue but, you definitely see it's there, where you wouldn't with a black top. The color combo you picked is very nice, better than a black roof and I personally think the car would look fine w/ or w/o the sunroof. The other issue for me was I wanted to put a flag (Union Jack) on the roof and so the white top and no sunroof. Stick with the white top either way. I also have leatherette and it holds up very nicely. I wouldn't know it wasn't leather if they didn't tell me. As far as the sport seats, they sorta/kinda wrap around you a little where the "regular" seats have more of a flat back.Hope this helps you.

Old 08-08-2002, 12:45 PM
gobsmaked
3rd Gear
I have the white roof and sunroof, I think it looks great but my car is dark silver. I have sent a note off to CarVogue in the UK asking about the flags to put on top. They have them for the MINI's with Sunroofs as well as those without. Perforated when it is over the glass. Trying to see if the ship to the US. They also have the decals that will have the union jack like they used in the Austin Powers movie. If I had the indie blue car I would consider this.

As for the auto Ac, computer etc, go with what you can afford, I wanted the extra toys so I paid for them. I do like how the sport seats feel so I went for it too.

Anything you do with your MINI is yours to do, so have fun with it. I don't think you will see anybody here who has regretted buying this car or making any of the modifications they have done to make it persoanlized. You can see my car in the Member MINI's, pages 31 & 32, the bw and color pictures.

Old 08-08-2002, 12:56 PM
autox4life
1st Gear
>>>>Hey guys i just ordered my Mini from the BMW dealership down here in nashville.
>>
>>How was your experience with the Nashville dealership? I also live in Nashville and am considering taking the plunge sometime in the not-too-distant future. Just wondering how the guys over at BMW of Nashville treat their MINI customers. Any unwanted dealer add-ons, price-inflation, hassle about test-drives, etc.? Thanks.

Well if you haven't been over there yet, this is how the operation works. There's a BMW building and a smaller Mini building to the right of it. When we told the people at Mini that we wanted a test drive, we were driving the cars less than 5 minutes later, without any hassle at all. We test drove the minis twice, once with this lady with blonde hair... she was very nervous when we were driving because we wanted to see how the cars handled, so we took some hard turns through a parking lot, and we could tell she didn't like it too much. She was knowledgable about the Coopers though. The second time we drove the mini we drove with a dirty blonde haired guy (sorry I'm really bad with names), and we liked him alot. He knew what he was doing, and he was happy to see us hitting the turns and telling us why the Mini loves hitting the turns. Both of them were very professional though, no unwanted addons or inflation. They both said that they recommend we just go to Mini.com and print out the exact car we want, with the price that it shows on mini.com and there wouldn't be any deviation from that price. Overall the dealership knew what they were doing and our trips their were basically hassle-free, so I recommend you go on over there for a test drive/purchase.

Old 08-08-2002, 01:03 PM
MCS-MAX
Neutral
Outstanding! I might just go over with my print-off from miniusa.com and $500 check later this week... Now I just have to decide on a color. Thanks for your prompt response!!

Old 08-10-2002, 08:49 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm getting a DS/white combo with sunroof. Unlike some others around here, I think the sunroof looks best with a white roof. Why have the world's largest sunroof (for such a small car) and not let everyone know it?! I first only ordered the sunroof, then later opted for the whole premium package. SInce the sunroof costs most of the package ($800 of $1250), I spend the extra couple of bucks. I figured although the extra toys (auto air, MFSW, and trip computer) certainly weren't a necessity (as I've never owned a car with these features before), when you consider the price of the car, an extra $450 gives the car a much more expensive look and feel with those extra options...It looks like, well, sort of a more "premium" car - pardon the pun.

Old 08-12-2002, 07:44 PM
DavidG
3rd Gear
"...To answer your questions, with my 2cents, I think the auto a/c and computer are needless toys."

I actually felt the exact same way... until those two options came with my Golf GTI VR6. Being able to set the A/C at 68 degrees and forget about it (year round) made me a believer. The computer was a similar experience; it was nice to be able to have the computer develop metrics on your driving style (mph, mpg, etc), whether you were on your commute to work, or on a quest for your "personal best" on a nice twisty road.

Another item that falls in the same category is the "auto-dimming" mirror. Again, although I didn't WANT it on my Golf, after living with it for two years I'll definitely order it on my MINI. When you've been driving for hours at night, it is annoying to fiddle with dimming the mirror. The auto-dim mirror (at least on the Golf) works perfectly from sunset to sunrise; whether you're the only car on the road, or you're passing cars like crazy. It feels (from the driver's seat) like someone is seamlessly dimming all of the lights hitting the interior mirror, and then giving you maximum visibility as soon as the headlight glare is no problem. Difficult to describe, but wonderful to use!

Just a note from someone who changed their mind about certain of the toys!

-DavidG

Old 08-12-2002, 08:27 PM
acetonic
4th Gear
I am very happy with the premium package. I probably would not have ordered any of the options other than cruise control but I had the chance to get a MINI with no wait so I took what it had. I now love the sunroof, it's not too hot and the screen combined with the dark tinting pretty much block out the sun. The climate control is great. Just set it to where you like and forget about it. The trip computer is nice to have as well. The mutlifunction steering wheel is marvelous. I love the radio controls on the back.

I like all the premium options so much I'm suprised they 'only' cost $1250!

Old 08-12-2002, 08:33 PM
wdfoto
1st Gear
check out what I did after having the car one week.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arkansasminicooper/

Old 08-12-2002, 09:36 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
>>check out what I did after having the car one week.
>>
>>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/arkansasminicooper/

Tell me all about it!

Cheers!
Clover

Old 08-13-2002, 03:32 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has black mirrors so the roof couldn't have been white. :smile:

Old 08-13-2002, 03:55 PM
gosharks
4th Gear
Here is my 2 cents. I was able to get a pre-spec MCS in the color I wanted (Electric blue with w/white roof)but it did not have any packages. I jumped on the opportunity. For me, I wanted the Sport Package but I really didn't want the 17" rims because of ride quality (per several car mags), and I like the 16" rim look (maybe I'm the only one).

I also initially wanted the Premium Package for the trip computer, multi-function steering wheel, auto-air, and sunroof.

After driving this amazing car for almost 3 weeks, I don't really miss either package. And the leatherette seats are not bad at all. I also thought that I would miss the outside temperature feature of the premium package but found out it is standard readout in the tach. In other cars that I have, a 323i and an E320, I rarely use the sunroof, and for auto-air, I am constantly adjusting it in these cars anyway. By the way, the E320 just sits in the garage except for long drives with the wife and kids. My two kids always want to go everwhere in the Mini.

Old 08-13-2002, 04:10 PM
acetonic
4th Gear
You are right. MINIs are great even with zero options. All the fancy stuff is just icing on the cake. Luckily we get to cusomize the cake to our own tastes.