F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Bluetooth connection & autoplay issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 06:45 AM
tippin
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth connection & autoplay issues

I'm having the some silly issues with the bluetooth and entertainment system on my 2014 F56s - has anyone else experienced this, and if so, how'd you resolve it?

I can connect via bluetooth to my iPhone 6 (nothing special, factory OS, up to date), but every time I hit the "mode" button on the Mini to actually listen to something on the phone, it automatically plays the very first song in my music library, in alphabetical order. If I go to my phone and try to play a podcast instead, it plays the 1st second of the podcast, stops, and if I hit play again, the audio is silent even though the podcast shows as playing. The audio won't play it until I hit the mode button a couple more times, flipping back and forth between the radio and phone. This happens every time I try to switch between listening to music and podcasts - I have to repeatedly hit the mode button until the car starts playing the selected item.

If I plug in via the USB input and lightning cord, I have to go into the menu system, scroll down, then select my phone - it doesn't automatically connect. Then if I remove the phone from the cord, the car won't automatically switch to bluetooth again even if I hit the Mode button, I have to go back into the menu system, scroll down the list, then select my phone.

My husband has a Ford and the same iPhone, and has not experienced anything remotely similar to this.

It sounds petty, but I use this feature every day, and I am so tired of hearing the first 10 seconds of a song that previously I had not listened to in 10 years, just because it's the first song in alphabetical order in my music library on my phone. Is there a way to disable autoplay of music by the car?

I've had it into the dealer 4 times for this issue. The last time they told me there wasn't anything they could do, they didn't know why it was behaving this way. Anyone out there have suggestions?

Old 08-05-2015, 07:02 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Just out of curiosity, which radio do you have? Base, 6.5", or 8" screen?

For perspective, a friend of mine with a MyFordTouch has the exact same thing happen to him with his iPhone, but only occasionally.

I don't have my F56 yet, but I can say that pairing my iPhone when I jump from car to car, different head units react differently. Some just pick up where the phone left off, some freak out and need a reconnect in Settings.

Can you have your husband try to connect to your MINI and cycle power a few times to see if his works the same? That might help to identify if the MINI is the culprit side of the equation.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:32 AM
tippin
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the XL package with navigation & the big 8" screen. I've tried my phone on his 2014 Ford, and no issues - it waits for me to tell it what I want to play, and doesn't hesitate when I select a podcast vs. music, and has no issue flipping between the options. I have to say, the interface on the Ford is way better than the Mini - no scrolling around, no clicking into lists of menus 3-deep to find what you're looking for...

I had an issue with my center console "crashing" and rebooting, but they updated the software and that seems to have resolved itself. But the bluetooth / phone connection options still feel like a pre-release version that isn't ready for primetime.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:43 AM
sal1k
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same issues you're having, but not all the time. Generally, the MINI won't remember where I was on the iPhone after I have sync'd with iTunes, and it starts playing the first song in alphabetical order in my music list.

Though, if I switch apps, I generally like to listen to podcasts through Overcast, the mini does remember where I was in the podcast and the audio source.

Since I know that switching modes does the trick I've gotten used to it. In fact, I had more problems with an actual USB connection than I've had with Bluetooth, so I'm willing to live with it.