R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 shouldn't there be a secret wave or something?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 10:34 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
shouldn't there be a secret wave or something?

When I am in my MINI, much to the chagrin of my daughter, I do tend to wave at other passing MINIs....but what to do when you are not in your MINI....today, I was riding my bike and a MINI was passing me so I started to wave and then realized that that driver would have no idea why I was waving.

Shouldn't there be (or mayber there is) a sort of secret or special wave where a person who is not in their MINI can wave to another MINI and that driver would know that the person waving at them owns a MINI and just isn't driving it at the moment? Any ideas for a secret wave?

Old 05-30-2006, 10:53 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem. I wave at MINIs all the time, even if I am driving our Minivan. I do get strange looks when in the Minivan!

Old 05-30-2006, 11:31 AM
ThomB
5th Gear
Riding my bike to lunch I pulled up on a MINI and was thinking the same thing. As I went by, I was going to wave, but then realized I'd look foolish. Was planning a , but the lady was pre-occupied with a burger and fries anyway.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:34 AM
nethack
3rd Gear
Usually I'm so ashamed to be driving anything other than my mini I just don't want anyone to see me..... so waving is out of the question

Old 05-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Crusoe
4th Gear
Hmmm, maybe swinging your first three fingers down to represent a M. Though you may scare folks not in the know thinking you're throwing up gang signs /|\

Old 05-30-2006, 11:38 AM
shankrabbit
6th Gear
I always have my keys on me whether I'm in my MINI or not. So usually if I see another MINI and I'm not in mine, I whip my keys out, holding it high with one hand, and wave with the other.

I think I caught an Illi-nois-er off gaurd the other day near the lake front in Milwaukee when I did that. He gave me the weirdest stare, then he finally figured out what I was holding and waved back excitedly.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:41 AM
acitydweller
6th Gear
how about vulcan peace sign :D

Old 05-30-2006, 01:12 PM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
That makes two of us...

Hmmm, maybe swinging your first three fingers down to represent a M. Though you may scare folks not in the know thinking you're throwing up gang signs /|\
I just recently suggested this very same gesture on another thread https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...561#post964561

Perhaps some training sessions could be arranged at MINI functions and dealerships for proper technique!

Keep in mind that there are MINI owners out there who aren't in cult-mode, don't know that NAM exists, and will look at us like we are a danger to society if we do more than wave in the usual way!

Old 05-30-2006, 02:03 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great idea, but I fear it's all too late... I have finally given up waving at other MINIs even when I'm *in* my MINI! I think it was the 2006 model that placed the final nail in the coffin--there's just too many ordinary people, pre-occupied and self-important, driving MINIs these days to even see me, let alone figure out I'm doing the MINI light-flip or wave. It's a pity, but the MINI is passe when people who drive them don't even realize what they have...
Geez, I'm burnt on this.
cheers,

Old 05-30-2006, 02:09 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
^^ gandini, come to chicago. I'll give you a secret wave signatured just for you... a birdie. jk

Old 05-30-2006, 02:25 PM
06MCSa
2nd Gear
Sticker!

Why not place a sticker on the windscreen at the upper corner of the driverside, like the NAM or Mini Logo or something. Sometimes there are Mini owners that look at me like, "WHO THE HECK ARE YOU!"

Having a sticker at the upper corner of the drivers side windscreen will be visible to other drivers. This way, we know when to flash our lights or wave.

If you not in your MIni, get a baseball cap that has the NAM or Mini logo in front! And stick your head out the window while you wave. Or have the same sticker on your "other" vehicle.

Just my .02

Old 05-30-2006, 02:37 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
^^ people will think i am part of a funeral or something. jk

that's a good idea. we should put a special "wave" NAM sticker on the driver side on the winshield.

Mark, can you make a "wave" sticker?

Old 05-30-2006, 03:56 PM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
perhaps next time I am walking down the street and a MINI is coming towards me, I will jump up and down and do the 'M' sign from the song 'YMCA' from the 70's (that way they won't think I am a wierdo waving at them)

Old 05-30-2006, 05:58 PM
jdmarino
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as did I

Originally Posted by ProfessorDave
I just recently suggested this very same gesture on another thread https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...561#post964561
Me too, but with the manual alphabet M:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=69685

Old 05-30-2006, 06:19 PM
addamaniac
4th Gear
correct you are when you say that return wavers are fewer and further between. But that's no reason to stop wavin'...never know when someone's gonna wave back and make your day...or at least your hour

wear some MINI apperal like a hat or something...then they'll know what your about

Old 05-30-2006, 07:31 PM
KC MCS
3rd Gear
I remember something in the corvette circle referred to as 'CCC', which stands for Common Corvette Courtesy.

Maybe we should steal that, swap the Corvette for Cooper, and have Common Cooper Courtesy!

You know, it makes me feel stupid when I wave and the other MINI driver doesn't, so it's at the point now where I drive with my left arm/hand sticking out the window in a 'wave' position. I'm always watching for MINI's in oncoming traffic and when I see one coming, I start gradually moving my hand to see if they're watching and will respond. If they don't, I play it off as I'm just moving my hand to the wind and/or music and hope that the people behind me don't think I'm weird.

Oh well...maybe I worry too much about what the others think!

But Common Cooper Courtesy, I like that!

Old 05-30-2006, 08:11 PM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
If I see em, I always signal. If I don't get a response, I assume they either didn't see me or they're an arrogant ********* not deserving of further thought. When I'm driving, I usually keep one finger on the high beam stalk and fire off a quick flash. Then if it looks like I got eye contact, I throw a thumbs up hoping its a NAM'er and will associate it with the t.u. smiley we are so familiar with.
I say, spread the word! A quick double (same hand) THUMBS UP!!!; the universal NAM salute .

Old 05-30-2006, 08:22 PM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
Ohhh....didn't know about the auto edit function...not even the right number of a$$terick$

Old 05-30-2006, 08:35 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Originally Posted by kenchan
^^ gandini, come to chicago. I'll give you a secret wave signatured just for you... a birdie. jk
But Ken, if you give me the bird, won't that offend me? I understand that the bird is an American hand gesture with the middle finger raised vertically while the other fingers are clenched out of the way. In Australia, the country of my origin, we have a gesture called the "finger" which I believe is equivalent to the bird. Perhaps we can just do what all the other MINI owners do, and ignore each other?

cheers,

Old 05-30-2006, 08:40 PM
namwob
5th Gear
Actually there is a secret wave.
The reason you don't know about it is.. "ITS A SECRET!!

Old 05-31-2006, 10:52 AM
DrDiff
Originally Posted by KC MCS
I remember something in the corvette circle referred to as 'CCC', which stands for Common Corvette Courtesy.

Maybe we should steal that, swap the Corvette for Cooper, and have Common Cooper Courtesy!

You know, it makes me feel stupid when I wave and the other MINI driver doesn't, so it's at the point now where I drive with my left arm/hand sticking out the window in a 'wave' position. I'm always watching for MINI's in oncoming traffic and when I see one coming, I start gradually moving my hand to see if they're watching and will respond. If they don't, I play it off as I'm just moving my hand to the wind and/or music and hope that the people behind me don't think I'm weird.

Oh well...maybe I worry too much about what the others think!

But Common Cooper Courtesy, I like that!
Works fine here but in the rest of the world where the MINI ONE is sold....

Old 05-31-2006, 11:00 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
nope, i still want to be your friend.

in Japan, the country of my origin, "birdie" usually gets attention of golfers.

Originally Posted by gandini
But Ken, if you give me the bird, won't that offend me? I understand that the bird is an American hand gesture with the middle finger raised vertically while the other fingers are clenched out of the way. In Australia, the country of my origin, we have a gesture called the "finger" which I believe is equivalent to the bird. Perhaps we can just do what all the other MINI owners do, and ignore each other?

cheers,

Old 05-31-2006, 11:15 AM
illegalprelude
4th Gear
I still wave to every MINI I see. Wave back or no wave. Cause that feeling of getting a wave back when it does happen is awesome!

Old 06-01-2006, 12:00 PM
DrDiff
Originally Posted by illegalprelude
I still wave to every MINI I see. Wave back or no wave. Cause that feeling of getting a wave back when it does happen is awesome!
How true. And I have found that if they do wave, 99.9% of the time They will smile and even point!

Old 06-01-2006, 12:18 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Here in Alabama it is rare (like maybe 1 or 2 times ever) that I don't get a waveback. Maybe it's just Southern Friendly thing dunno or maybe it's that if they don't wave on my first wave I keep waving at em like an idiot til they wave back