R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 2 or 3 button keys?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 02:08 PM
philwarner
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2 or 3 button keys?

How can you tell if your Mini should have a 2 button or 3 button key fob? A local fellow with a 2005 Mini Cooper with no key needs one and Dave the key guy needs to know which one it should have.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:42 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
2005-2008 Gen 1 MINI has three button. 2002-2004 has two button. Most have to be programmed by MINI if its a new key.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
The following users liked this post:
philwarner (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 05:42 PM
philwarner
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
2005-2008 Gen 1 MINI has three button. 2002-2004 has two button. Most have to be programmed by MINI if its a new key.
Thanks, I passed the info to Dave. Just curious - What does the third button do?

Old 02-08-2018, 06:56 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by philwarner
What does the third button do?
Unlocks only the hatch (automatically relocks when you close it).

philwarner (02-09-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 08:17 AM
philwarner
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Unlocks only the hatch (automatically relocks when you close it).
Thanks for the info.

I am guessing the hatch unlock feature has to be programmed? Or would a 2005 three button key work on a 2004 hatch once the immobilizer is programmed for the key? And is the 3 button fob shape compatible with the recessed door lock? I ask because the 3 button fob looks a little cooler than the 2 button.

Dave had ordered an aftermarket Mini flip key fob, but it was bulky and would not fit into the door lock.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:26 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I am guessing the hatch unlock feature has to be programmed? Or would a 2005 three button key work on a 2004 hatch once the immobilizer is programmed for the key? And is the 3 button fob shape compatible with the recessed door lock? I ask because the 3 button fob looks a little cooler than the 2 button.

Dave had ordered an aftermarket Mini flip key fob, but it was bulky and would not fit into the door lock.
Dave the key guy should probably be somebody who works at the parts counter at a MINI dealer. It will be very tough for most others to get a working key made for a MINI. I could be wrong, perhaps Dave is a very smart guy with all the various tools needed.

Here's the breakdown on the various keys:

For 2001-2004 model year MINIs (produced through 7/2004) the key is the two button, clamshell style remote key and the very similar looking non remote ("general") key. This key and its associated components on the car are of a Rover design and were also used on some Range Rover models and on the Rover 75 (in the U.K.). The Rover clamshell cases and blades were slightly different in design, but the remote circuit board inside is nearly identical. These keys have a user replaceable, CR2032 battery inside of the shell.

The MINI remote key consists of three components- a properly cut blade, a remote board and an EWS/Immobilizer chip which allows the car to start. The non-remote key has the cut blade and the EWS/Immobilizer chip, just not a remote board. The EWS/Immobilizer in the car has 10 available slots for EWS chips in the keys. If you order a key from MINI (ordered for your car via the VIN), they build you one with the EWS chip programmed for the next available slot. An EWS chip can be created aftermarket by reading the EWS on the car and then programming the EWS with a special tool. However, this disrupts the EWS sequence and if a key is ordered from MINI it will also use this next slot but the key from MINI will not work to start the car. This is why aftermarket keys are not a good idea.

As far as the remote board goes for these keys, the car must be hooked to a BMW/MINI coding computer and the car must be coded to accept commands from a new remote. This is true even with a key that is ordered from MINI. There is no series of button pushes that will allow a new two-button remote to work with a MINI without the coding. Remember, cars are coded/programmed not remotes. There is a re-pairing procedure in the event a remote becomes "out of step" with the car. Changing the battery should not cause this to happen, however.

New keys ordered from MINI have the blades properly cut (probably via some sort of computer controlled milling machine for the absolute best cut). Aftermarket side mill key duplicating machines exist (I have one in my shop) and do an adequate job of duplicating these keys.

For the 2005-2006 MINIs (and 2005-2008 R52 models) a three button key of a BMW design was used. This is very similar to the BMW diamond shaped key of that era. Again, a nearly identical non-remote key is available for these models.

These keys also contain three separate components, although the EWS/Immobilizer chip is physically mounted to the board and wrapped with fine wire. It does not otherwise connect to the remote board's circuitry, including the battery. The battery in these keys is a VL-2020 rechargeable battery soldered to the circuit board. There is an inductive charging ring around the ignition switch. These keys are sealed and this battery is not meant to be replaced. For the non remote key the EWS/Immobilizer chip is identical to the one used in the earlier keys (an ID44 chip).

These keys do differ in that new remotes can be paired to the car with a series of button pushes. EWS/Immobilizer chips can be created but with some difficulty as the remote ones are mounted to the circuit board. The same caveat about creating aftermarket EWS chips applies to these keys as well.

The two types of keys are not interchangeable. Three button keys will not work on a 2001-2004 car for example.

The aftermarket flip key shells (for two button keys) I have actually do fit in the door lock quite well, as long as you put them in "wings" up. Perhaps "Dave" ordered something different.

Good luck to "Dave" but the owner with the 2005 would probably be best off just getting a key from MINI. MINI of Peabody sells all their parts, including keys, at a discount. Remote keys will run around $175 or so, non-remote ones around $80 with the discount. MINI keys are ordered via the VIN, I would suggest that the owner call MINI of Peabody (minipartsmass.com) to get the correct part(s) numbers of the two types of keys for his car and then order on the website to get the discount. He will have to provide a copy of his license and registration/title as proof of ownership. He can submit them electronically after the purchase.

Ask here or PM me if you have any more questions. I can also be contacted at "minikeyhospital (at) outlook (dot) com.

Val

philwarner (02-12-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 02:37 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
would a 2005 three button key work on a 2004 hatch once the immobilizer is programmed for the key?
No. Three button keys are completely incompatible with 2002-2004. The car electronics were updated in 2005.

philwarner (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 09:31 AM
philwarner
3rd Gear
Thanks for the updates, guys, and especially the tip about the Land Rover/BMW key origin change in mid 2004 ( my car was built 12/1/2003)

And Val,
Dave had been making BMW keys for some time using the necessary programming equipment and computer controlled key milling machine, but he had not made Mini keys until recently. He did know to program my keys in the 9th and 10th slots (his equipment showed the first three slots were previously programmed, although it came to me with just one remote entry key) and he is a pretty smart guy. He is also branching out into making other exotic keys (like for my 06 Jaguar SV8).

I was surprised at how involved the milling and programming process was and how much knowledge is required, so I understand your warning that not just any locksmith can do it.

BTW, looking on eBay for 2 button flip keys I didn't see any that appeared to be rounded enough at the base of the blade to fit into my door lock; the original is a pretty close fit. I did see some 3 button flip key fobs that claim to fit 2002 to 2005 Minis but were also too rectangular to work in my doors. Perhaps 2005 had a change of door handles too? Or do these flip fobs have an extra long blade?

Found one here, but can't tell if it would fit without a photo of the blade extended.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-...808997763.html

Last edited by philwarner; 02-12-2018 at 09:56 AM.