R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 2004 MCS not starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 11:33 AM
bansasn
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 MCS not starting

Hi Mini world,
First time here. Bought my 04 MCS 5 months ago. Great fun car! Today while driving to work my ABS light came on two minutes later Battery light pop up, another couple minutes later Airbag light, and traction light. I than start to feel my steering wheel turn hard! It's like no power steering. Had to use my muscle to turn. Got to work and turn the car off. Tried to start and the car did not start. Just a ticks, ticks, ticks. Any clue? Could it be battery or alternator? or both? Thanks for your comments.

Best

Old 08-25-2015, 11:40 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Did the car die on you while you were driving? It does make me think the battery could be an issue as the battery is perhaps the most important electrical component on the car, and due to its design and nature, is perhaps one of the most troublesome. I'd begin by checking the voltage on the battery posts using a voltmeter. A normal battery should read a voltage slightly above 12 volts with the car sitting still, and no electrical devices on. A typical reading would be in the 12.6-volt range when the battery is fully charged. If the reading is 12 volts or less, then the battery needs charging or needs to be replaced with a new one. We do have a DIY battery replacement here if needed with more information. The alternator provides your car with a constant source of electricity while the engine is running. Over time, the alternator can begin to fail and start causing trouble with the various electrical systems in the car, which you described. Sometimes bizarre electrical problems can be caused by a number of faults other than the alternator. It's important to troubleshoot the system prior to replacing your alternator. We have a great DIY alternator replacement here with more information in regards to testing it as well. Start there and see what you find.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-25-2015, 11:46 AM
bansasn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Did the car die on you while you were driving? It does make me think the battery could be an issue as the battery is perhaps the most important electrical component on the car, and due to its design and nature, is perhaps one of the most troublesome. I'd begin by checking the voltage on the battery posts using a voltmeter. A normal battery should read a voltage slightly above 12 volts with the car sitting still, and no electrical devices on. A typical reading would be in the 12.6-volt range when the battery is fully charged. If the reading is 12 volts or less, then the battery needs charging or needs to be replaced with a new one. We do have a DIY battery replacement here if needed with more information. The alternator provides your car with a constant source of electricity while the engine is running. Over time, the alternator can begin to fail and start causing trouble with the various electrical systems in the car, which you described. Sometimes bizarre electrical problems can be caused by a number of faults other than the alternator. It's important to troubleshoot the system prior to replacing your alternator. We have a great DIY alternator replacement here with more information in regards to testing it as well. Start there and see what you find.
Thank you for your response. The car did not die while driving. It's parked in the parking lot and when I tried to restarted it just tick, tick, tick, tick.... Also thank you for the DIY links.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:02 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
You're welcome. Let us know what you find out. Maybe someone will have another idea as well.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:09 PM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your belt as well
Might have ran the car down because your alternator isn't working.

Not saying it's your problem
But I had a car sputter out in a similar manner and my accessory belt broke

Old 08-25-2015, 12:14 PM
bansasn
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Spencer Roper
Check your belt as well
Might have ran the car down because your alternator isn't working.

Not saying it's your problem
But I had a car sputter out in a similar manner and my accessory belt broke
Ok, will do. Thank you for the heads up.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:17 PM
bansasn
2nd Gear
You're welcome. Let us know what you find out. Maybe someone will have another idea as well.
This one of the reasons I buy parts from you guys for my Mini and Porsche Cayenne turbo. Great friendly service when needed. Again thank you.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:20 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by bansasn
This one of the reasons I buy parts from you guys for my Mini and Porsche Cayenne turbo. Great friendly service when needed. Again thank you.
This is great to hear. It's my pleasure and let me know if there is ever anything I can help you out with.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:17 PM
batrugger
5th Gear
Mine wouldn't start with the battery reading 12.3 volts. Check your crank pulley too.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:46 PM
bansasn
2nd Gear
Thank you everyone for your comments. Just bought new batter from the dealer. stock battery and it started right up! The only gripes now the battery light is still lit. Also the steering is still hard when turn. Although, when driving on the fwy for 40 minutes it got better and back to normal. Battery light still lit.

Stop at a gas station with the car turned off and restarted the car. The steering wheels become hard again when turned. What is going on? Is my power steering need replaced? Battery light still lit. Anyone experience this?

Old 08-26-2015, 07:26 AM
batrugger
5th Gear
Battery light on means that the battery isn't charging. Could be a bad belt, crank pulley, tensioner, fuse, but more than likely the alternator. Eventually your battery will die and the car won't start again. Did you have the battery checked before you bought a new one, because it was probably okay. Have the alternator checked before you replace it.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:22 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
I'd link the thread, but I believe links to this certain forum are blocked so I am going to copy and paste some suggestions from it below that also lead me to believe the alternator may still be your culprit.

The OP had a similar complaint as you, battery light and p/s issues. Some advice given was:

"The electric power steering pump will shut down when the system voltage drops too low. The same exact symptoms happened to a friend at MOTD this year, a new alternator was the fix."

The OP replaced the alternator and issue was fixed. Have you tested the alternator yet? I'd start there so that you don't possibly kill your new battery and keep having issues. Let us know!

Old 08-26-2015, 10:15 AM
bansasn
2nd Gear
I'd link the thread, but I believe links to this certain forum are blocked so I am going to copy and paste some suggestions from it below that also lead me to believe the alternator may still be your culprit.

The OP had a similar complaint as you, battery light and p/s issues. Some advice given was:

"The electric power steering pump will shut down when the system voltage drops too low. The same exact symptoms happened to a friend at MOTD this year, a new alternator was the fix."

The OP replaced the alternator and issue was fixed. Have you tested the alternator yet? I'd start there so that you don't possibly kill your new battery and keep having issues. Let us know!
I have the same gut feeling its the Alternator. Just ordered a few parts from Pelican. Should be here soon and hopefully I can replace it this weekend. I have not test the alternator, do to the age of the car it looks like it needs a new alternator. 165K miles. The previous owner didn't changed the battery as well. Still original. I also checked belt, tensioner, crank pulley all are ok.
I will keep you all posted on the outcome. Thank you everyone for all of your replies.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:23 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by bansasn
I have the same gut feeling its the Alternator. Just ordered a few parts from Pelican. Should be here soon and hopefully I can replace it this weekend. I have not test the alternator, do to the age of the car it looks like it needs a new alternator. 165K miles. The previous owner didn't changed the battery as well. Still original. I also checked belt, tensioner, crank pulley all are ok.
I will keep you all posted on the outcome. Thank you everyone for all of your replies.
Ya, that's some pretty good mileage on the alternator and battery. Let us know if that resolves the issue!

Old 09-04-2015, 12:29 PM
bansasn
2nd Gear
Ya, that's some pretty good mileage on the alternator and battery. Let us know if that resolves the issue!
Yes it was the alternator. Everything is back to normal. Thank you for your help and parts from Pelican.

I have one on going issue, but it doesn't effect my Mini performance what so ever. I always get the "Service Engine" light on. new coil pack, spark plugs, and no hose air leak that I couldn't. I do hear a hissing sound at my brake pedal. If I slightly applied the break it goes away. Let it go the hissing comes back. Can it be the O2 sensor be another factor why the "Service Engine" come on? Much appreciated.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:24 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Great! You're very welcome and I'm glad that resolved your issue. As for the service light, these cars use a computer system called Condition Based Service (CBS) which needs to be reset after changing the oil and performing other services to the car. Have you been resetting it after services are performed? We have directions on how to reset these in this tech article here. Believe it starts around the 4th to last paragraph. As for the hissing, I found a few threads about the issue. Take a look here, here, and some good info at post #3 here. Common problem points to the noise you're hearing as possibly a brake booster hiss. Maybe someone will be able to chime in with more information on this. Let me know what you find out.