R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 I thought Mini owners were suppsed to wave!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 03:32 PM
signcarver
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i rarely get waves in the northeast. i doubt that most MINI owners even know about the wave or visit bulletin boards such as this.

It was similar with Porsches when i had my Boxster. I once had a discussion with my dentist about an upcoming Porsche event at Lime Rock and he had no clue.

Some people buy enthusiasts cars that aren't enthusiasts.

However, i still wave and will continue to do so.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Originally Posted by signcarver
i rarely get waves in the northeast. i doubt that most MINI owners even know about the wave or visit bulletin boards such as this.

It was similar with Porsches when i had my Boxster. I once had a discussion with my dentist about an upcoming Porsche event at Lime Rock and he had no clue.

Some people buy enthusiasts cars that aren't enthusiasts.

However, i still wave and will continue to do so.

Some people buy enthusiasts cars that aren't enthusiasts

The MAJORITY of the people (that) buy . . .

Old 01-11-2012, 03:56 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boosted_Mini
I dont wave, I think its weird and awkward. I will throw deuces to a MINI that is lowered, stanced, modified. But a stock mini i wont.
Ahhh, Big Bear Lake. That says it.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Out of 5 Minis that I saw today, I got 2 waves, which I feel is very good considering. What I hate is when you come up behind another Mini and pull up along side it, the driver doesn't even glance over. I can spot any Mini in front of me, behind me, moving in the opposite direction or parked in a driveway. I have a Corvette too, and before the C5 Corvette came out, most Corvette owners would wave. When the C5 Corvette came out, people who were not car people started buying them because they were becoming practical. That is when the waves began to diminish and now its rare to get a wave from another Vette. I imagine many of these Mini drivers, are less in awe of the cool car they drive, and feel more that they have a cute car for transporation.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:45 PM
d@g
3rd Gear
In the Northeast, drivers are conditioned to ignore each other unless they need to cut you off, tailgate, pass on the right or drive 5 miles under the limit in the passing lane.

I don't wave unless I see something on the other MINI that indicates they bought it for anything other than economical transportation. Anything - a ball on the antenna, grill badge, Mini-related bumper sticker, after-market wheels, tint, driving lights, etc.. Even so, 99% of the time, all I get back is the stare straight ahead.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:45 PM
rum4
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife and I are both Mini owners and we wave at all Minis but get few waves back. On the interestate we flash brights but get few back. We are doing our part to "save the wave"!

Old 01-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Autobot_Lazi
1st Gear
Drivers in SOCAL like to wave.. But for some reason just with 1 finger

Originally Posted by d@g
In the Northeast, drivers are conditioned to ignore each other unless they need to cut you off, tailgate, pass on the right or drive 5 miles under the limit in the passing lane.

I don't wave unless I see something on the other MINI that indicates they bought it for anything other than economical transportation. Anything - a ball on the antenna, grill badge, Mini-related bumper sticker, after-market wheels, tint, driving lights, etc.. Even so, 99% of the time, all I get back is the stare straight ahead.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Autobot_Lazi
1st Gear
Everybody has to agree with me on this. This enthusist deserves a hug..

Originally Posted by jacquesew
Hey...no fair....I just go Oliver and I probably won't modify him other than some basic, easy things cuz I just don't have the skills. I still love to get a wave so don't diss me just because I'm a stocker! I'm still enthusiastic and koo koo over the MINI's and I get very disappointed when you don't wave back at me.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Boosted_Mini
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jacquesew
Hey...no fair....I just go Oliver and I probably won't modify him other than some basic, easy things cuz I just don't have the skills. I still love to get a wave so don't diss me just because I'm a stocker! I'm still enthusiastic and koo koo over the MINI's and I get very disappointed when you don't wave back at me.
Lucky my windows are so dark you cant even see if to see if I am waving or not. Which is part of why I did it so people cant see in.

Originally Posted by rrcaniglia
Ahhh, Big Bear Lake. That says it.
Actually I live in Long Beach, but I dont know how Big bear makes any indication of anything being even when I lived there I saw maybe 1 other mini a day and I knew the girl.

Originally Posted by Autobot_Lazi
This is what my sunroof was made for.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:05 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Autobot_Lazi

hahaha so true, or you just get mad stares...(Los Angeles area)

Old 01-26-2012, 05:24 PM
slowjetta
1st Gear
Nearly 90% wave factor male/female on Cape Cod MA
Must be beach mentale

Our life is your vacation....
Cept for winter, snowless and grey...but at least minis wave.