R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 I thought Mini owners were suppsed to wave!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:25 PM
jasoncolorado
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had my first Mini wave this afternoon from a guy in a Clubman. He had a very unique wave and I was wondering if it a common wave or just something he made up. Either way, I got it.....he was holding down 3 fingers in the shape of an "M". I thought it was pretty cool...anyone else seen this?

Old 06-09-2010, 07:38 PM
JustCarolynn
1st Gear
I used to live in Reno and lived in Vegas for a year. I would have to say I agree with that statement. Anything to show you up they will do. If that means shooting you or the car then so be it. I used to tell my ex that when he would road rage with someone.

Originally Posted by MiniKar
Its always best for folks not to use that middle finger; if you are in
Nevada the one you may be giving the finger too may have a
weapon. Better to be safe and keep your thoughts to yourself . . . . . . .

Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 PM
JustCarolynn
1st Gear
I was cruising on the interstate this after noon and this car came flying up beside me then slowed down right next to me. Those kind of people make me nervous. I do not like it when people sit next to me on the highway. So I looked over to see what was going on. This little girl, probably no more then 7 or 8 was taking mad pictures of my car and just smiling away. It was so awesome.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:58 AM
minicoopergrl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by JustCarolynn
I was cruising on the interstate this after noon and this car came flying up beside me then slowed down right next to me. Those kind of people make me nervous. I do not like it when people sit next to me on the highway. So I looked over to see what was going on. This little girl, probably no more then 7 or 8 was taking mad pictures of my car and just smiling away. It was so awesome.
I love it! I was in the McD's parking lot trying to park and this SUV was next to me. She asks me to roll down my window, and she tells me she loves my car!!!

My other favorite story was I driving home from a event. I was stopped at a light near the event and guy next to me quotes my sticker on the back of the car. I say 'Yep, Ive been Xposed! They just had thier competition not too far from here'. So this other persons head from the passenger seat pops out, looks at me, looks at the car. Then she goes "OMG Its Lulu!" (my You Tube account is Minicoopergrl so she got the hint) Yep, when you use the same screen name for everything you do, you get spotted just by driving.

I always try to wave to fellow MINI owners when im driving. Even if they dont wave back, thier loss!

Old 06-11-2010, 03:01 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I have a bunch of old British Iron ( I had an original Mini, but sadly, sold it.) and a funky Soviet made motrcycle with a sidecar. I wave at all motorcycles, when I'm riding, and all classic cars, British or not. I almost always get a smile and a wave back.

I've only had my new MINI about three weeks, but I wave at other MINIs too, about half wave back.

Dave

Old 06-11-2010, 04:20 PM
jonasandezekiel
3rd Gear
I feel strange waving. I haven't had my MINI long, so I think I need to get "legit" before I wave. Even then, I still might feel silly. Unless of course its an attractive woman.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:45 PM
ItsNotTheSizeThatCounts
1st Gear
I'll wave at someone and they will give me an odd look... I usually go with the thumbs up rather than the wave... its just my thing

Old 06-14-2010, 09:03 PM
jonasandezekiel
3rd Gear
Flashing your headlights is much cooler.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Mat J Monk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
That's why my car is protected by Glock 19.
I use a Glock 22!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Grendl
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ItsNotTheSizeThatCounts
I'll wave at someone and they will give me an odd look... I usually go with the thumbs up rather than the wave... its just my thing
I give a double thumbs up with a crazy grin! I've only received one acknowledgment. :( Driving in L.A. sucks.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:58 PM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
I got the best wave in downtown Nashville today on my way home from work. I was at a redlight when a bright silver gen 1 pulled up at the opposing light. When we took off he threw his arm out and up and smiled like he just stole that car. Was awesome.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Glasschairs
Neutral
I just got my Mini a few weeks ago and I've waved at quite a few other Minis and I've literally never gotten a wave back. Maybe its 'cause they're jealous of my MC40

Old 06-17-2010, 02:23 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I live out in the boondocks, everybody waves at everyone else, mostly, but especially if you have a dog in the car, or if you drive something unusual.

If I'm on my bike, with the dog in the sidecar, I always get waves from everyone!

Dave

Attached Thumbnails I thought Mini owners were suppsed to wave!-ready-to-go.jpg  
Old 06-17-2010, 02:41 PM
franklinminty
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jasoncolorado
Had my first Mini wave this afternoon from a guy in a Clubman. He had a very unique wave and I was wondering if it a common wave or just something he made up. Either way, I got it.....he was holding down 3 fingers in the shape of an "M". I thought it was pretty cool...anyone else seen this?

I'm going to have to "borrow" this wave!

Back in Britland, it is pretty common to flash the lights. I rarely get a returned wave or eyelash flutter on this side of the pond.

That briefly wipes my driving grin on my face

Old 06-17-2010, 03:42 PM
BULLDO9
1st Gear
I have never waved. Where I drive, Lost Angleness, there's a lot of MINIs running around. Seems a little tiring to be waving indiscriminately at them all.

Also, since I'm such a good looking guy, if I waved at another guy he'd think I'm ghey. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's only in the internet posts that I outright lie about myself and my good looks, I wouldn't want someone to get the wrong impression in real life.

How about I compromise? I'll start waving, but only at the girls. If I see a guy, don't take any offense, I don't hate guys, I'm just don't care for their attention. Girls though...I like girls....and turtles!

Old 06-17-2010, 05:55 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Bull Do 9,
I'll still wave at you, hoping to get at least a manly nod.
R

Old 06-17-2010, 06:50 PM
slotrod65
1st Gear
I used to recognize all of the 6 or so MINIs that lived within a few miles of me. Now some are gone, and many new MINI owners just don't get it. Over the past few years, people have been buying minis so that they could have a "cool car" that also gets great gas milage.

My favorite waves came from when the local MINI dealer organized a caravan to a local drive in. We all drove from the dealer's lot: about 16 miles to the theater. Seeing peoples faces as 150 MINIs went flashing by was just great! We were like a swarm of ladybugs!

I wave to MINIs even when I am driving my Pontiac Solstice... but that just confuses people.

Fred

Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can always do the peace symbol as an alternative instead of waving.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:00 AM
DaveTinNY
6th Gear
Wolfee and I have waved at each other!
champagne4amy, come to NY... we wave more often than not. Keep the MINI faith!

Old 07-02-2010, 12:51 AM
meanmeanstride
1st Gear
I haven't been waved at in a while, even though I wave at everyone with a Mini. I just think everyone in Westchester County is a sour-pus.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:17 PM
WillM
2nd Gear
You think it could be a southern mini thing? I've had our mini a little over a week and everyone we've met has waved, probably a half dozen or so.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:27 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
Most folks in Alabama wave, if they notice me coming. I'm as guilty as anyone of not always seeing until it's too late.

Was in D.C. recently and no one waved unless I 'cornered' them, made eye contact, and was very obvious. Lots of work (and luck) to make it happen, but when it did, they smiled.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rrcaniglia
Most folks in Alabama wave, if they notice me coming. I'm as guilty as anyone of not always seeing until it's too late.

Was in D.C. recently and no one waved unless I 'cornered' them, made eye contact, and was very obvious. Lots of work (and luck) to make it happen, but when it did, they smiled.
I've always fallen over myself getting a good look, whenever I've seen a Mini but since I got mine, I have embarrassed myself.
They're not real common in this area so on my way to shop I spotted another Mini and passed it as it pulled over in a park. I doubled back, did a big wave and really expected a little wave back. Nope,,just a puzzled expression as if to say "wtf".
We just gathered our composure and went on our merry way.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:14 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
As Socrates (Plato) always held, a good education is everything. Our MAs are falling down somewhere.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:45 PM
EuroasianSychokitty
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniKar
I used to own another German car, a " P*****e " and it seemed everyone waved at eachother.

I try waving to the Mini's but I get looks like " do I know you " ? ? ? ?

Come on NAM people, lets pick up the pace and start waving; or even better
flash your lights !

(oops, forgot I already posted on this; oh what the heck WAVE ! )

I'm in Vegas and noticed nobody waves here. I took a trip to LA and tried it out there and noticed nobody looks away from the road...although you shouldn't but you should be aware of your surroundings! LOL MiniKar, if you're located in Vegas....I'll wave to you! AND I'll wave to anyone else, maybe I can start the wave up again if it even started!

Quick Reply: R50/53 I thought Mini owners were suppsed to wave!