R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 I thought Mini owners were suppsed to wave!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:34 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm Waving back

I'll look for you on the road once the snow stops falling !

Keep up the good work...... Someone will wave, I can feel it !

Old 11-29-2010, 04:32 AM
Jazzop
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm usually too busy to wave, what with one hand on the horn and the other giving the finger. It's a jungle out there, man.

I would consider waving back to other R53 owners, but not any of those obese variants that make me sadder to be a MINI owner with each new model year.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:08 AM
the matey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wave at every single mini I see and only half of them wave back. But most of the ones I see are older people driving and they either don't care or there to caught up in driving. There is this one older guy I see a lot in a r53 Cooper s that always waves.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:46 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't get many waves in city traffic. Sometimes I don't wave because my hands are busy, sometimes they don't see me, etc. When I see them out on or near the twisties though, I usually get a wave.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 PM
jasoncolorado
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love the car....Love the wave...love the culture....its one of the reasons I drive a MINI. Some dont get the culture...but I think most do. Was getting on the ramp the other day in Castle Rock and Red/White Stripe MINI give me a honk. You gotta love it!

Old 11-30-2010, 07:48 AM
rallymaniac
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jazzop
I'm usually too busy to wave, what with one hand on the horn and the other giving the finger. It's a jungle out there, man.

I would consider waving back to other R53 owners, but not any of those obese variants that make me sadder to be a MINI owner with each new model year.
I'm with you

Old 11-30-2010, 08:06 AM
johnnydisco
3rd Gear
Yes i wave and it feels kinda nice when others wave back "WITH A SMILE". Though i am getting a little tired of not getting any response from most. It seems the MINI is just another car to some fellow owners. Funny how i get waves from non-MINI owners with big *** smiles too.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:14 AM
johnnydisco
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Jazzop

BOO! I wonder if you owned your MINI long enough to know that BMW owners had looked down on our cars. R53, give me a break! Obese only if tacked on all options. I wonder if you're driving a stripdown version. I had an R53 and it was bare.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:07 PM
ATL Clubman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Locally we find that there are just alot of MINI owners that it's just a car to them, so they don't wave. Most of us forum members actually wave.
I agree, in a little over a year of driving my Clubman waves from other MINI owners in the ATL have declined to near zip. And the city is thick with them now (not a bad thing) We have 4 on our block, OK only at two houses, but still...

Originally Posted by wrh3
Yes, those of us that wave are usually enthusiasts but there are a lot of people that view cars (Minis included) as an appliance and nothing to be passionate or excited about.
@wrh3 - I didn't know there WAS a MINI in Loganville. I get some odd looks from all the pickup drivers on 78 on my way through to Athens sometimes. That area has the most P/Us and SUVs of any area I can think of.

I used to wave more. Need to start again. I do, about 73% of the time, say "red MINI", "black MINI", "silver MINI" etc when one approaches. Drives my wife crazy. I can't stop. Sometimes I feel compelled to announce parked ones too...even ones we pass all the time. This could cause problems down the road.

TH

Old 11-30-2010, 06:26 PM
jasoncolorado
3rd Gear
I used to wave more. Need to start again. I do, about 73% of the time, say "red MINI", "black MINI", "silver MINI" etc when one approaches. Drives my wife crazy. I can't stop. Sometimes I feel compelled to announce parked ones too...even ones we pass all the time. This could cause problems down the road.

TH[/quote]

Now that is funny! Funny...because I do the same thing and now my wife is doing it also.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:19 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
i wave at the ones i think knows abt the wave... i try to avoid the housewife type

Old 12-01-2010, 10:31 AM
johnnydisco
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jasoncolorado

TH
Now that is funny! Funny...because I do the same thing and now my wife is doing it also.[/QUOTE]

Looks like a common problem .

WTH! No ROFL

Old 12-01-2010, 10:54 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 203 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally Posted by champagne4amy
I thought Mini owners were suppsed to wave!
Yes.
Yes they are.
I do.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:11 PM
TinyRed1
2nd Gear
I was passing a transport truck in the left lane today on the highway & got a honk & wave! Put a smile on my face

Old 12-24-2010, 03:57 AM
*Ghost*
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After owning my new MINI for about two weeks, I finally got a wave and a big smile.

Odds for me so far are one in ten.

Keep waving!

Old 08-11-2011, 12:50 PM
5minutes
1st Gear
Yeah, I've had about 3 women wave in my 3 years of MINI ownership. And all three were because they were driving their boyfriend's/ husbands car with them in the car telling them to wave. oh and if the person looks older than 60 chances arent good either.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Ntobis
1st Gear
This makes the 3rd (enthusiast) vehicle Ive owned...Ive owned the Wrangler, STI, and now the Mini. I'm accustom to looking for whatever vehicle I'm driving. Its a game for me, kind of like wheres waldo, except on the road. Ive also practiced the wave since the days of the wrangler but the Mini is the most fun. I yell mini every time i spot one. If i drive past one parked i slow down and examine it. If i pass one i flash every light, and wave. Even with all of this i mostly get no response...I find that most of my fellow Cincinnati Mini owners are not enthusiast. They are infact just drivers of enthusiast cars. I want to thank a Yellow R53, and Black Modded R53, for waving consistently every time i pass you on the AA. To everyoe else, show some support....

Old 08-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Eddyboi77
4th Gear
it's sad, because I don't get waves often either. I see a handful of MINI's on a daily basis during my commute, and most don't wave back. Just yesterday morning I was alongside a Countryman on the highway, looked at the guy driving it, and nothing. Come to think of it, I haven't gotten a wave from any Countryman driver that I've seen out on the road. I did however get a wave from a lady in cooper s convertible in front of me. She saw me in her rear view mirror and gave me a wave.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Number Six
4th Gear
I wave - so far only a few have waved back. But the very first day I was driving our new Pepper White another Pepper White, complete with the same stripes, was on the opposite side of the road coming towards me.

The driver was obviously thrilled to see a matching MINI and waved enthusiastically, along with her passenger - both waved heartily (we don't have many MINIs in VT yet)

Unfortunately I was busy shifting gears and barely got a wave off. I hoped she didn't think I was ignoring her. After that encounter, I try to be ready to give a friendly wave back.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:31 PM
1ncmini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 5minutes
Yeah, I've had about 3 women wave in my 3 years of MINI ownership. And all three were because they were driving their boyfriend's/ husbands car with them in the car telling them to wave.
Haha! I'm a girl (ok, 35) and I ALWAYS wave, but seldom get waves back. I'm only a 3 month owner, but I'm gonna try to continue to save the wave.... It's sad really because there aren't an abundance of MINIs where I live.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:06 PM
mini_blur
1st Gear
I'd wave at you young lady! :P

I wave now, but the whole waving took me aback a bit at first. I always wave now, BECAUSE the girls wave.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:10 PM
minimejames
1st Gear
I live in GA, and I wave at every Mini I see. A guy in my neighbor hood looked at me funny the first time, but now its a compitition to see who can wave first. I also see the same red MCS 3-4 times a week. He only waves 50% of the time. Maybe he's to manly to wave at another dude. I don't know. I will continue to wave anyway.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Number Six
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minimejames
I live in GA, and I wave at every Mini I see. A guy in my neighbor hood looked at me funny the first time, but now its a compitition to see who can wave first. I also see the same red MCS 3-4 times a week. He only waves 50% of the time. Maybe he's to manly to wave at another dude. I don't know. I will continue to wave anyway.
That could be it. We passed 5 MINIs on our drive today, waved at each one, and not one waved back.

Oh well.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:15 PM
SSSSSSSS
Coordinator :: M2C2
We've got a woman in a convertible in our neighborhood who looks at us when we wave as though we'd whizzed in her corn flakes. Most others wave back.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
I was driving around my Austin Mini today and two other Minis completely gave me the cold shoulder! The first one was stopped at a light as I passed by I waved, the lady looked and me and didn't do anything. Oh well.

Quick Reply: R50/53 I thought Mini owners were suppsed to wave!