R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 I thought Mini owners were suppsed to wave!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:09 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An English automobile? Thats debatable.

Anyway, living in 'idontgiveacrapsville, USA, virtually nobody waves, probably for the many reasons listed above. People here are just too busy/preoccupied with their own selves to bother with anyone else they dont know. Maybe everyone is waiting for the other guy to wave first. I used to wave. Id get one back occasionally. Then less and less, to basically none a couple/few years ago. So now I dont bother. Who knows . . . maybe now I'm looked at as one of those self-absorbed folks who dont wave.

Theres a car exactly like mine just a few blocks from where I live. Ive followed her down our local road a couple of times already and watched her pull into her driveway. She wont attempt eye contact or even look up.

Its stuff like this that has changed my attitude. That seems to be the way of the world in general.

I love my car. I drive my car. I was a waver. I get virtually nothing back. Eventually it becomes 'why bother?' And I dont lose any sleep over it.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:41 AM
JustCarolynn
1st Gear
Its because a lot of the women are just driving the car because they are cute. They don't know what they really got on their hands. :p You will find a whole lot more men car heads then you will find women.

Originally Posted by DooBahDoo
I get more reply-waves from other men...women hardly ever wave. Not sure if they think I'm trying to pick them up or what? It's not like I'm going to flip a U and chase them down if they wave back at me. When I see another Pepper White I usually get the big ....same was true when I had my Chilli Red from fellow CR owners. I love 'em all. When I don't get a wave I want to yell, "Why didn't you buy a Corolla?".

Old 06-06-2010, 08:48 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thinking back at my driving life I have always been a waver. It started with the Honda wave, moved on to the Evo wave, than the off road bug struck and guess what they wave too, and even with my first MINI I did the wave. Now on my second MINI not as many people wave back but, that dont stop me, male female, or a mixture of both I will wave at you until I can no longer lift my arm.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:20 AM
signcarver
4th Gear
Not many MINIs in my area (South Jersey) but i always wave. I usually flash my lights first so they see me. Seems like men wave more.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:48 AM
rataczak
3rd Gear
My wife and I always wave!

Old 06-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Hankfrum
1st Gear
I'm a waver!.....I stopped for like a week because I thought the same thing, why bother when I wasn't getting a wave back. Then I figured why let some self absorbered a~hole ruin my day and started waving again. We all know why "we" bought our cars. Not to be cool or cute. So keep waving. And if they wave back you know they love their car like we do!

Old 06-06-2010, 12:58 PM
calicoop
1st Gear
We went to Santa Barbara yesterday with my friend who has a pretty blue Mini and saw a total of 5 Mini's, one on the way and the rest when we got there..we got 4 waves and a thumbs up! Awesome!!!

Old 06-06-2010, 01:22 PM
lotsie
Banned
I wave.

Mark

Old 06-06-2010, 02:15 PM
inimini2007
6th Gear
Signcarver...

Not many MINIs in your area of South Jersey...I beg to differ...please check with NEMINI.ORG and the Regionals of NAM (MONJ)

We are always waving and doing something...especially the 25 Jun 10.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:41 PM
signcarver
4th Gear
inimini2007 - thanks!
I don't see many around the Pitman area. Further north (Cherry Hill, Burlington, etc.) i've seen more.

Thanks for the links - i'll check them out.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CMD141
That's funny because It's for these reasons I migrated away from mustangs and over to MINI's ..V8, straightline speed culture was always too uptight and competitive for my taste. MINI culture struck me as being all about the experience and never taking yourself too seriously...proof that nothing is perfect
Well, I've always felt Mustang owners were cocky in their own sense. The competitiveness within the MINI community is always in looks for the most part. Everybody thinks their MINI is better looking and when there is competition lurking near by, then envy sets in. Now a days I get lots of thumbs ups from drivers of other types of cars and even bikers love my car. I think it's the fact that she's murdered.

Last edited by Fatherdeth; 06-06-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by champagne4amy
I agree with Fatherdeth. I think some Mini owners can just be down right snobby. I did an autocross event last weekend and 2 other Minis were there. I thought cool, I am around my own kind. I tried to make small talk with the other owners and they just snubbed me. Maybe they thought I was competition or something. It was my first time ever so I wasn't a threat. And I think the other comments are right about some thinking of it as just a car. I love it when people are passionate about their autos. My first day of driving my Mini I had a fellow female chase me down on the interstate just to wave. I thought it was great. Kudos to fellow wavers! Oh yeah, and thanks to all of you that have posted. I am surprised to get such a response.
It is a combination in all fairness. There are some that just look at the car as transportation, but around here, there's a lot of ego. Now I like thinking my car is good looking, but I will wave to fellow motorers. I had a feeling though, once the 1st gens started hitting the used car lots, the MINI lifestyle was going to go down.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:38 PM
urmaboyblur1000
1st Gear
ALWAYS WAVE!

i always wave! Red with Black strips and roof... North Jersey and Blacksburg VA!

Old 06-06-2010, 11:35 PM
CMD141
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
Well, I've always felt Mustang owners were cocky in their own sense. The competitiveness within the MINI community is always in looks for the most part. Everybody thinks their MINI is better looking and when there is competition lurking near by, then envy sets in. Now a days I get lots of thumbs ups from drivers of other types of cars and even bikers love my car. I think it's the fact that she's murdered.

That's an understatement but mustang owners are outdone in terms of cockiness by corvette owners. Im a young guy but IMO the younger crowd usually fits that description. Murdered is the way to go

Old 06-06-2010, 11:50 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
When I owned my Porsche I always waved or flashed my lights........

Now that I own a Mini S, I do the same but most of the time I get looks
like "do I know you" or "why are you flashing your lights"

I will keep trying, so all you "NAM" members remember to WAVE or FLASH the lights ! ! !

Old 06-07-2010, 09:09 AM
R53-BRG
3rd Gear
Got a wave from a guy in a JCW Yellow R56 last night. I gave a quick double beep to a mini I passed on a 2 lane and they honked back. I get about 50/50 in NW Illinois.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:12 PM
LittleRed228
Neutral
Originally Posted by Curbiecooper
I had the best wave that i have had in a long time yesturday the guy was on the other side of the road going the other way and put his whole arm out to wave at me made my day But i get the WHAAAAA! look most of the time or just no look at all makes me really sad It is even harder when you get back from the dragon and you have all those people waving at you there then get home and no one waves that it is dissapointing
WAVE ON MINI FRIENDS
My best wave was in this crazy tourist town I live in. I pulled up behind a mini (out of state plates) and everyone in the car turned around and started waving frantically with huge smiles on their faces. Most awesome!

Old 06-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't had my MINI long but I'm definately a waver. There aren't a lot of MINIs in this area but the few times I've been waved at made up for the birds I've been flipped.
When I drive my husbands 4X4 with tinted windows no one knows who or what's driving. In the MINI if I stick to the speed limit some 4X4 is always coming up on my bumper and zooming around me with his finger hanging out the window. Tinted windows might be in our future
I love my MINI !!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Bob4
2nd Gear
It does not matter if my wife or I have the mini we wave, we also send iphone waves to other mini's.

When I have the truck I start to wave at the mini's and have sometimes talk about strange looks.

What we have noticed is that most of the people that do not wave are the older ones in our area, I don't mean to say that no one that is older waves it is just something we have noticed.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:53 PM
JustCarolynn
1st Gear
What area are you in so I know not to come that way. Being flipped off leads to a bad temper and road rage. LOL I have an emblem on my car that says size matters. LOL. Its my own smart *** way of showing the big trucks they have nothing on me. :p

Originally Posted by Kathy1946
I haven't had my MINI long but I'm definately a waver. There aren't a lot of MINIs in this area but the few times I've been waved at made up for the birds I've been flipped.
When I drive my husbands 4X4 with tinted windows no one knows who or what's driving. In the MINI if I stick to the speed limit some 4X4 is always coming up on my bumper and zooming around me with his finger hanging out the window. Tinted windows might be in our future
I love my MINI !!

Attached Thumbnails I thought Mini owners were suppsed to wave!-30712_397683710325_744085325_4424874_7894703_n.jpg   I thought Mini owners were suppsed to wave!-018.jpg   I thought Mini owners were suppsed to wave!-30712_397679820325_744085325_4424783_320548_n.jpg  
Old 06-07-2010, 07:57 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I used to own another German car, a " P*****e " and it seemed everyone waved at eachother.

I try waving to the Mini's but I get looks like " do I know you " ? ? ? ?

Come on NAM people, lets pick up the pace and start waving; or even better
flash your lights !

(oops, forgot I already posted on this; oh what the heck WAVE ! )

Last edited by MiniKar; 06-07-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: forgot I already posted on this
Old 06-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Before I completely blacked out my MINI, I had the statement "You've Just Been MINI'D" across my back glass. I used to tick the idiots in Excursions etc. off when they felt the need to crawl in the left lane doing 10 mph under the speed limit. I can have serious road rage myself, and nothing gets me more heated than the middle finger.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Mat J Monk
4th Gear
Quite a generalization!

Well, I've always felt Mustang owners were cocky in their own sense.
Being a former owner of three Mustangs (63 six cyl coupe, 2000 six cyl coupe and 2002 GT coupe) I take a slight offense to that. I loved my 'stangs, especially the GT. There's nothing like punching the throttle and hitting 60 MPH in just over 5 seconds! If it wasn't for the price of gas, 45 mile (each way) commute and the 16 MPG, I'm not sure I would have gotten rid of the GT. But then again, I'm a bit older and I wasn't into the whole 'mod' scene, the most I did was install a K&N airfilter and a Diablo chip, I left everything else stock. Having said that, I really, really like my MINI. I love topless driving and I have yet to find a curve that I can't take at 8 to 10 mph over the posted speed and still stay in my lane!

Does anyone else think that "sport" mode should be the default and you should have to press the button to select "wimp" mode?

Oh and to get back on topic, I may not always wave, sometimes I'll just give a tip of the hat since I'm busy shifting (still used to the 5-speed), but I almost never get a return wave and I pass at least 3 other MINIs on my commute each day.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:46 AM
ChrisNJ
2nd Gear
No one waves in New Jersey. I wave anyway!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:50 AM
JustCarolynn
1st Gear
I am glad to hear I am not the only one out there with that road rage. LOL.

Before I completely blacked out my MINI, I had the statement "You've Just Been MINI'D" across my back glass. I used to tick the idiots in Excursions etc. off when they felt the need to crawl in the left lane doing 10 mph under the speed limit. I can have serious road rage myself, and nothing gets me more heated than the middle finger.

Quick Reply: R50/53 I thought Mini owners were suppsed to wave!