R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 I thought Mini owners were suppsed to wave!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 05:20 AM
champagne4amy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought Mini owners were suppsed to wave!

I have owned my Mini for over 2 years now and I have noticed that only the female Mini owners will wave when passing by. What's up with all of you men? OK, I'm sure some of you men wave but it is just something that I have noticed in my area. My husband owns a Subaru STI and all subie people wave at him. Come on Mini owners, wave at your fellow men and women!!!

Old 06-05-2010, 05:25 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always wave! That is part of the fun! If you could see me now I would be waving at you!

Oh and WELCOME to the craziness!

Old 06-05-2010, 05:35 AM
champagne4amy
1st Gear
THANKS!! I would be waving back at you too! I agree, it is part of the fun of owning a Mini.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:36 AM
Wolfeee
6th Gear
I ALWAYS wave...sometimes I get a Whaaa? look from people.. I had a guy drive past me same clubman stripes etc.. and he didn't so much even glance.. WEIRD.. AND.. I was admiring another clubman who was parked 2 spots from me..the guy was standing outside (didn't know it) and SAW me looking at his clubman, then saw me get into mine.. NOT EVEN A WORD! ODD.. I couldn't get over that one..

ENJOY YOUR MINI.. and Always wave, you may just get once back!

Old 06-05-2010, 06:52 AM
minigma
2nd Gear
Some people just don't get it.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No offense, but MINI owners can be some of the most egotistical, self centered bunch of people. Nothing like Jeep Wrangler owners whovonout of their way to wave to each other. Sometimes the looks people give while they're driving there MINIs is more or less "Hmmmph, I'M the only one around here that can drive a MINI. What is that person thinking?" Regardless, I still flash my lights as my tint is so dark nobody could see me waving anyway.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:39 AM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Locally we find that there are just alot of MINI owners that it's just a car to them, so they don't wave. Most of us forum members actually wave.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 06-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There are no other MINIs in my town.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:17 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep I agree with Way on this one.

Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Locally we find that there are just alot of MINI owners that it's just a car to them, so they don't wave. Most of us forum members actually wave.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:31 AM
dosomething
3rd Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
I always wave to other MINI but only a few times get the wave back. Funny thing is only the male driver wave back, no too many female driver in LA into the wave thing . but I still wave to them anyway.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Kimbo80
4th Gear
Originally Posted by champagne4amy
I have owned my Mini for over 2 years now and I have noticed that only the female Mini owners will wave when passing by. What's up with all of you men? OK, I'm sure some of you men wave but it is just something that I have noticed in my area. My husband owns a Subaru STI and all subie people wave at him. Come on Mini owners, wave at your fellow men and women!!!

In the Chicagoland area (specifically Northern Suburbs), I find the opposite is true. The men wave and the women look at me like I'm crazy.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:03 AM
wrh3
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, those of us that wave are usually enthusiasts but there are a lot of people that view cars (Minis included) as an appliance and nothing to be passionate or excited about.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:20 AM
JustCarolynn
1st Gear
I am in Alaska and I think only one person has ever waved. I was one of the ones that looked like "Whaaa" LOL. I didn't know we were supposed to wave (I always thought that was a truck driver/motor cycle thing). But I have been pointed at a lot by other non mini drivers. (Usually when I have my speakers cranked.) Now that I know I will start to wave.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Curbiecooper
2nd Gear
I had the best wave that i have had in a long time yesturday the guy was on the other side of the road going the other way and put his whole arm out to wave at me made my day But i get the WHAAAAA! look most of the time or just no look at all makes me really sad It is even harder when you get back from the dragon and you have all those people waving at you there then get home and no one waves that it is dissapointing
WAVE ON MINI FRIENDS

Old 06-05-2010, 01:05 PM
zeus7625
3rd Gear
Location: So far south in AL, one more step and I'm swimming (in oil)
The tint is a problem. My tint is dark so I wave and flash the lights to every MINI driver I can.

I usually get a way back but I don't give it much thought if I don't.

I'm in control of my happiness

Old 06-05-2010, 03:09 PM
jasoncolorado
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Agarwaen
There are no other MINIs in my town.
Thats funny..but I am sure true. I am originally from Van Buren...so I know there are no Mini's there either.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:52 PM
champagne4amy
1st Gear
I agree with Fatherdeth. I think some Mini owners can just be down right snobby. I did an autocross event last weekend and 2 other Minis were there. I thought cool, I am around my own kind. I tried to make small talk with the other owners and they just snubbed me. Maybe they thought I was competition or something. It was my first time ever so I wasn't a threat. And I think the other comments are right about some thinking of it as just a car. I love it when people are passionate about their autos. My first day of driving my Mini I had a fellow female chase me down on the interstate just to wave. I thought it was great. Kudos to fellow wavers! Oh yeah, and thanks to all of you that have posted. I am surprised to get such a response.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:51 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Waving is optional, but I always get a buzz when someone does wave back and an even bigger grin when they wave first.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:08 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Sometimes I am focused elsewhere and don't see the other MINI until it is nearly gone.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:18 AM
CMD141
1st Gear
Nail on the head.
I'm finding that MINIs are starting to saturate Orlando, Florida to the point where I've only encountered 2 actual enthusiasts, and they waved at me

Old 06-06-2010, 02:39 AM
CMD141
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
No offense, but MINI owners can be some of the most egotistical, self centered bunch of people. Nothing like Jeep Wrangler owners whovonout of their way to wave to each other. Sometimes the looks people give while they're driving there MINIs is more or less "Hmmmph, I'M the only one around here that can drive a MINI. What is that person thinking?" Regardless, I still flash my lights as my tint is so dark nobody could see me waving anyway.
That's funny because It's for these reasons I migrated away from mustangs and over to MINI's ..V8, straightline speed culture was always too uptight and competitive for my taste. MINI culture struck me as being all about the experience and never taking yourself too seriously...proof that nothing is perfect

Old 06-06-2010, 04:41 AM
emmazdad
Neutral
I've had a MINI since 2004 and there were more wavers then, at least around here. Of course, there were a lot less MINI drivers back then, too. As the number of MINIs has grown, the less waving I've seen.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:25 AM
howardholton
1st Gear
For sure - as the MINI became more and more popular and less and less of an enthusiast car people became less interested in the "ownership experience" and stopped getting excited about their cars and the wave died.

Though - I cannot understand how someone who does not really care about cars would ever dream of owning an English automobile......

Old 06-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Barrettrw11
4th Gear
I sometimes get a wave and sometimes I don't. Most of the MINI owners around here only have a MINI because its the new "trend".

Old 06-06-2010, 07:07 AM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
I get more reply-waves from other men...women hardly ever wave. Not sure if they think I'm trying to pick them up or what? It's not like I'm going to flip a U and chase them down if they wave back at me. When I see another Pepper White I usually get the big ....same was true when I had my Chilli Red from fellow CR owners. I love 'em all. When I don't get a wave I want to yell, "Why didn't you buy a Corolla?".

Quick Reply: R50/53 I thought Mini owners were suppsed to wave!