R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 I thought Mini owners were suppsed to wave!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:28 AM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone else think that "sport" mode should be the default and you should have to press the button to select "wimp" mode?

You get a big AMEN from me!!! I don't know why there has to be a button at all. Can anyone shed light or at least a reasonable opposing opinion? I can't imagine. I think it should be "mock-corvette" vs. "mock chevette".

Old 06-08-2010, 09:30 AM
amberback
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wrh3
Yes, those of us that wave are usually enthusiasts but there are a lot of people that view cars (Minis included) as an appliance and nothing to be passionate or excited about.
And these people should buy VW Bugs.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:33 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JustCarolynn
I am glad to hear I am not the only one out there with that road rage. LOL.
Yeah, I used to get excited over stuff like that, but now Im just like wtf and keep on keepin on.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:35 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DooBahDoo
Does anyone else think that "sport" mode should be the default and you should have to press the button to select "wimp" mode?

You get a big AMEN from me!!! I don't know why there has to be a button at all. Can anyone shed light or at least a reasonable opposing opinion? I can't imagine. I think it should be "mock-corvette" vs. "mock chevette".
"'Mode button?' We don need no steenkin mode button!"

Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 AM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
I know there are people to whom a car is a car is a car but why in the world would they buy a MINI? It makes no sense to me. And even if you are one of those people - how can you be one of those people after driving a MINI? I don't get it. We've had four MINIs and I still smile when I walk into the parking garage after work every day and see my little guy sitting there ready to motor.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mat J Monk
sometimes I'll just give a tip of the hat since I'm busy shifting (still used to the 5-speed), but I almost never get a return wave and I pass at least 3 other MINIs on my commute each day.
Thanks for reminding me. Yes, somethimes, if I happen to make eye contact, I'll give a head nod and a smile. I find that people appreciate subtly more than a waving arm out the window.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 AM
reelsmith.
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I always wave ...even when I'm not driving my MINI.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Agarwaen
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DooBahDoo
Psh, ditch that R56 for a proper R53 and you won't have the "Wimp" mode problem.

Last edited by Agarwaen; 06-08-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Agarwaen
Psh, ditch that R56 for a proper R53 and you won't have the "Wimp" mode problem.

AMEN brother!!!!!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:49 AM
DooBahDoo
6th Gear
....just goes to show...not all "improvements" are improvements at all.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mat J Monk
Being a former owner of three Mustangs (63 six cyl coupe, 2000 six cyl coupe and 2002 GT coupe) I take a slight offense to that. I loved my 'stangs, especially the GT. There's nothing like punching the throttle and hitting 60 MPH in just over 5 seconds! If it wasn't for the price of gas, 45 mile (each way) commute and the 16 MPG, I'm not sure I would have gotten rid of the GT. But then again, I'm a bit older and I wasn't into the whole 'mod' scene, the most I did was install a K&N airfilter and a Diablo chip, I left everything else stock. Having said that, I really, really like my MINI. I love topless driving and I have yet to find a curve that I can't take at 8 to 10 mph over the posted speed and still stay in my lane!

Oh and to get back on topic, I may not always wave, sometimes I'll just give a tip of the hat since I'm busy shifting (still used to the 5-speed), but I almost never get a return wave and I pass at least 3 other MINIs on my commute each day.
Nah, don't take too much offense. Down here it just seems that the Mustang boys AND girls don't play nice on the roads. In example, the other day I was coming down the highway and there was a white GT in the right lane. I guess he couldn't have the itty bitty wittle MINI Tooper pass him. He romps on it and tries to pass. Mind you both of us were under the speed limit anyway. I just couldn't believe that with a V8, he still felt like he has to be the boss. I guess he didn't realize that an R53 pushing 17 psi can move either. But yeah, on topic, I used to feel like I belonged to an exclusive bunch, but I get more waves when driving my Suzuki Sidekick from other Suzuki or Geo owners than I do while driving the Cooper. And now I just found out I probably have to keep my Cooper a little bit longer as the Regal GS isn't coming out until mid 2011!!!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:17 PM
blonda
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
No offense, but MINI owners can be some of the most egotistical, self centered bunch of people. Nothing like Jeep Wrangler owners whovonout of their way to wave to each other. Sometimes the looks people give while they're driving there MINIs is more or less "Hmmmph, I'M the only one around here that can drive a MINI. What is that person thinking?" Regardless, I still flash my lights as my tint is so dark nobody could see me waving anyway.
We have one of each, a Wrangler and a MINI. Both great wavers and snobs on both sides. Maybe because there are more Wranglers around, but I actually feel there are more snobs there than the MINI community in my neck of the woods (and we have a very built up rock crawler).

I agree that mostly women wave at me in the MINI (I'm a woman) and I have to admit I dont' always wave, because you sort of get tired of people not waving back or giving you odd looks. I pretty much wave only if I see they are looking. I've also been caught many times with people waving at me and I was not paying attention and didn't get the return wave back in time .

Old 06-08-2010, 05:19 PM
phillycx
1st Gear
When I originally purchased my beloved MINI I waved and received waves in return for the most part. Lately, however, NO ONE waves back. It doesn't seem to matter the drivers age, race or gender. lt's as if there's a group of newer MINI owners that didn't buy the car b/c of the heritage or passion for the vehicle itself. It's as if they just bought the car to say to others, "Hey, I have a MINI Cooper check me out!". It's kind of sad, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying my car every time I start the engine.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Fatherdeth
Before I completely blacked out my MINI, I had the statement "You've Just Been MINI'D" across my back glass. I used to tick the idiots in Excursions etc. off when they felt the need to crawl in the left lane doing 10 mph under the speed limit. I can have serious road rage myself, and nothing gets me more heated than the middle finger.

Around here I think it's a sign of IQ

Old 06-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JustCarolynn
What area are you in so I know not to come that way. Being flipped off leads to a bad temper and road rage. LOL I have an emblem on my car that says size matters. LOL. Its my own smart *** way of showing the big trucks they have nothing on me. :p

Like your emblem. I think that the big trucks already know they don't have anything on me.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:09 PM
jasoncolorado
3rd Gear
Well....I have to say the middle finger in the Denver area is very common. I suppose I am getting used to it. I absolutely love Colorado, but I am originally from the South..and when you did that in South...well...its just time to find a squaring off place.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jasoncolorado
Well....I have to say the middle finger in the Denver area is very common. I suppose I am getting used to it. I absolutely love Colorado, but I am originally from the South..and when you did that in South...well...its just time to find a squaring off place.

Forget the "squaring off". This is Aurora

Old 06-08-2010, 08:59 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Its always best for folks not to use that middle finger; if you are in
Nevada the one you may be giving the finger too may have a
weapon. Better to be safe and keep your thoughts to yourself . . . . . . .

Old 06-09-2010, 04:17 AM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniKar
That's why my car is protected by Glock 19.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:57 AM
signcarver
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow - this thread has taken a nasty turn.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:49 AM
jasoncolorado
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kathy1946
Forget the "squaring off". This is Aurora
Howdy neighbor! Castle Rock here!

Jason

Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jasoncolorado
Howdy neighbor! Castle Rock here!

Jason
Howdy back, neighbor.
Castle Rock is a great area. Lots of wide open spaces.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniKar

Maybe things came across differently than I intended.
No middle finger here.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:16 AM
MaxMCS
2nd Gear
I always wave. ALWAYS. I don't discriminate, R53, R56, Classic Mini, whatever it is, if we share the same badge on the bonnet, I wave. I'm a part of the "MINI Fraternity" so to speak, and I've loved every minute of it! It's pretty depressing when I stick my hand out the sunroof with a big wave, only to be completely ignored. Then, I look like the idiot... but whatever. I still wave.

When we got our first MINI at MINI Peabody, they educated us on the wave. We were told that it's a "MINI thing", and that we were sort of expected to do it. Then again, that was back when you had to sign the "Always Open" contract when you bought a Cabrio... it seems the MINI culture had more of a sense of humor back then, no?

Old 06-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Fatherdeth
6th Gear
Originally Posted by signcarver
Wow - this thread has taken a nasty turn.
Not really, some of us are just stating the truth about life.

Quick Reply: R50/53 I thought Mini owners were suppsed to wave!