R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 What's the trick?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 01:31 PM
minigran
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked DB up yesterday morning and have been alternating between driving him and looking at him . I'm having one little problem. Sometimes I can't start the car -- just no response when I turn the key. Seat belt on, clutch in, shift in neutral (belt + suspenders?) but nothing. This only happens when the car has been sitting long enough for the engine to get cold and eventually it gets tired of me poking and prodding and starts up. Is there another "secret" hoop to jump through? My MA's on vacation; her boss is on vacation and my service advisor went out to lunch and never came back.

Old 08-22-2003, 01:42 PM
gobsmaked
3rd Gear
minigran, looks like you are fairly new to the board. Welcome and congrats on your MINI.

There was a starting problem on the early MINI's. It was corrected by a program upgrade to you computer's chip. Your MINI should already have the upgrade. If it is happening only on cold starts the dealership may want to keep it overnight so they can test after it has sat long enough.

I know I can start mine in gear, without the seatbelt on and with the door open. As long as the clutch is in all the way, no problem starting it.

Good luck! Let us know what the outcome was.

Old 08-22-2003, 01:44 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

minigran,

Be sure to check the battery cable connections!! In my first Cooper, one was loose, and it was unable to start...total electric failure. Had to flatbed it to the dealership, worrying all the time about it needing some exotic unattainable part, only to find out that when it had gone in 2 days earlier on warranty work, they didn't tighten the positive battery cable properly, so it came loose! Just a thought....check it out!

Cheers!
Clover

Old 08-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Indy_Archy
3rd Gear
Check the steering wheel lock. If you happen to turn the wheel after you turn off the car, like as you get out, it will lock the steering wheel in place. When this is done, the car will not restart until you unlock the wheel. To do this put the key in the ignition, turn the key, then grasp the wheel and try to turn it. It will click and then the wheel will move a little. Then turn the key to start the car.

If this doesn't work, you may want to talk to the dealer. I know that the steering lock prevents the car from starting, as does not having the clutch depressed.

Old 08-22-2003, 02:27 PM
minigran
1st Gear
I can't try now because the engine's still warm from my ride home (it takes a lot longer in the MINI because there are no curves in the direct route), but I'm optimistic about the steering wheel lock being the culprit. When it won't start I get frustrated and grab the wheel really hard and growl Thank you everybody.

Old 08-22-2003, 09:55 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi/welcome...

Sometimes there's a delay before cranking commences. Sometimes there isn't but it conks out after first ignition. Sometimes everything's ok.

If, at any point, someone determines that you have the infamous cold start/hard cranking problem DO NOT LET THEM TOUCH YOUR SOFTWARE!!!!! At least, not until they release a fix that doesn't break anything else.

Are you scared yet...?

Old 08-22-2003, 10:27 PM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah. It's the steering wheel. I've seen my wife do the same thing in COOP.

"Honey, it's not starting. I don't understand! I'm holding the clutch in!!!"

You just have to turn the wheel like a quarter inch and it'll start right up. I think my Volvo must have been the same way, because I always turn the wheel when I'm starting it up naturally, so I must've picked it up somewhere.

Uhh. Oh yeah. Welcome to MCO, and congratulations on your new baby!

Old 08-23-2003, 11:12 AM
minigran
1st Gear
Yup. It's definitely the steering wheel lock. I deliberately locked it after I turned off the car and when I tried to start again I couldn't. Thanks again.

If I ever hear from my MA or SA I'll fill them in.