Navigation & Audio Is it possible to mirror iPhone display to mini connected?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone from the States ordered and received the Prochip from Germany
$129. plus shipping….Seems to be working on the european mini's….

Old 02-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
$182.00 complete with shipping…
Sent them an email inquiring about installation on the US mini's…….

Old 02-18-2013, 10:21 AM
wickywack
1st Gear
Hmm, my last reply seemed to disappear into the ether. Sorry if this comes out in duplication.

Regarding getting mirroring to work with IOS 6:

- I did not enable "Vehicle in Motion" or change anything else in the car itself. I only jailbroke my phone. I'm using PlugIn mode under Mini Connected.

- I don't know about iPhone 5. I only have an iPhone 4S.

- Regarding Pandora, if I start the Pandora app while the phone is mirroring, I only see the same screen that's on a iPhone (i.e., that the Pandora app has detected a Mini). It's not terribly useful that way. That said, I can exit PlugIn mode, and I do see and can run the Pandora app on the Mini itself. I.e., this works fine:
http://help.pandora.com/customer/portal/articles/83066-pandora-and-mini

- By "Apple TV like app", I meant this I no longer see this when I connect:
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/12/iphone-os-4-0-secrets-hidden-ipod-application-hints-at-automobi/

Just took the car for a spin with Google Maps on the Mini screen and Pandora playing in the background. Worked pretty well. It does take a little fiddling to get DisplayOut to show, but it's worked all ~8 times I've tried and once it displays it stays.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:37 AM
wickywack
1st Gear
Also, regarding Pandora, it's a little finicky to run in the background for me.

If I start it after I connect the phone to the Mini, it won't play in the background if I quit out.

If I start before I connect and quit out, it'll play in the background and continue in the background once I plug it into the Mini. After it's plugged into the Mini, I can skip songs from the steering wheel even though Pandora is in the background.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Received several emails confirming it will work with my VIN input via mini connected and my Iphone4s. Because of mini connected it will not work via the cd/dvd player.
Ordered it…..

Old 02-19-2013, 08:16 AM
ZaliZoe
2nd Gear
So now just be patient. In my case (I live in Italy) It took almost two weeks to arrive because they used the standard dhl.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
True, it did not even ship yet…Excited though
So you are having no issues with yours ?

Old 02-19-2013, 10:21 AM
ZaliZoe
2nd Gear
Everything works great.
It's even faster to mirror the iphone by external devices instead of using the plugin.
Also the navi works correctly after that.
Because with some mods (not pro chip) they had problems with the navi systems.
Btw the waiting is exciting.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Flyer53
5th Gear
Well this is my 3rd mini..so I've done my fair share of waiting…it is exciting...

Old 02-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Sliksunny
2nd Gear
i have and Iphone5 on 6.1 Jailbroken. I just renamed the ipodout like wickywacky stated. I don't have my 30pin to lighting connector on me that i put on the factory Y cable but when i get home i'll try it and report back...

Old 02-19-2013, 03:58 PM
pidge1114
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sliksunny
i have and Iphone5 on 6.1 Jailbroken. I just renamed the ipodout like wickywacky stated. I don't have my 30pin to lighting connector on me that i put on the factory Y cable but when i get home i'll try it and report back...
I just did this and it did NOT work for me. I am running a jailbroken 6.0.1 on an iPhone 5. I have DisplayOut running and it does not appear to work in the devices section or Mini Connected.

However after renaming this file, I still get my album artwork showing up on the Mini screen, which leads me to believe I changed the wrong file - as it was stated that the functionality ceased to work afterwards.

I changed the following folder - is this not the right one to change? See here:

Old 02-19-2013, 04:06 PM
wickywack
1st Gear
Good luck! A couple other notes:

- Under DisplayOut in Settings, it's useful to turn "Show" on under "Connection Alerts" - it's the last setting. This will show you a popup when the external display is enabled and disabled.

- When I connect my 4S to the Mini, I see in quick succession a display enabled message followed by a display disabled message and a blank screen. At this point, if I change the DisplayOut resolution (from anything to anything as far as I can tell), I get the mirroring back on. Haven't figured out a way around this.

- Once it's on, it stays on for me.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:09 PM
wickywack
1st Gear
Pidge, did you restart your phone?

Old 02-19-2013, 04:12 PM
pidge1114
Banned
Originally Posted by wickywack
Pidge, did you restart your phone?
Yep, I restarted twice

Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 PM
wickywack
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pidge1114
Yep, I restarted twice

Your screen shot looks like exactly what I did. FWIW, I'm on 6.1.1 with the evasi0n jailbreak and an iPhone 4S. I'm hooking up to a 2013 All4 CM S with Mini Connected and no Nav. I'm using PlugIn mode.

You might try turning on the "Show" setting under "Connection Alerts" under DisplayOut (in Settings). Does it change when you connect / disconnect your phone?

Old 02-19-2013, 04:57 PM
pidge1114
Banned

Your screen shot looks like exactly what I did. FWIW, I'm on 6.1.1 with the evasi0n jailbreak and an iPhone 4S. I'm hooking up to a 2013 All4 CM S with Mini Connected and no Nav. I'm using PlugIn mode.

You might try turning on the "Show" setting under "Connection Alerts" under DisplayOut (in Settings). Does it change when you connect / disconnect your phone?
I turned on the Show setting and I get no alerts when connecting my phone.

Not sure if 6.0.1 vs 6.1.1 would make the difference, but the 4s versus iPhone 5 might. I have to use the lightning adapter on top of the 30pin connector, so that might be the issue. There is an app on Cydia called Resupported that is supposed to help with non Apple cables, but it doesn't support iOS 6 yet, and can't tell if it would help or not.

I can't believe it's this hard.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Sliksunny
2nd Gear
Pidge your folder looks like mine except the .1FP3iw is different on mine. Anyway i haven't tried it yet but i have a feeling it has to do with the lightning adapter to 30pin connector on the y-cable. I read that this connector does not support video out functinality.

from apple site
Adapter supports analog and USB audio output. It does not support video output.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...30-pin-adapter

MINI/BMW just need to come out with a lightning Y-cable asap. I think it will work then.

Last edited by Sliksunny; 02-19-2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: forgot something.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:13 PM
wickywack
1st Gear
Not sure if 6.0.1 vs 6.1.1 would make the difference, but the 4s versus iPhone 5 might.
I think you are likely right on this. This page suggests that PlugIn mode won't work with an iPhone 5 (on BMW - assuming the same for Mini):

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758492

Though you seem to be able to see album covers ....

BTW, my post #100 finally showed up. It's got a video link to what iPodOut.app looks like. This was automatically launched as soon as I plugged my iPhone 4S into the Mini (until I renamed it).

Old 02-19-2013, 05:25 PM
pidge1114
Banned
I too think it's the adapter. I love it - you pay a $29 premium for an adapter that doesn't even allow for all the functionality of its predecessor.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 PM
Sliksunny
2nd Gear
Yep tried it with 6.1.1 and no luck. It has to be the adapter/iphone5 issue.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 PM
guitarte
Neutral
Thumbs up

I managed to get mirroring to work with DisplayOut 1.6.9, IOS 6.1.1, and an iPhone 4S.

Beyond Jailbreaking and installing DisplayOut, I had to do one other step to get it to work. When the iPhone is connected to the Mini, a hidden app called iPodOut.app is triggered. This app seems to take control of the TV-out and interfere with DisplayOut. By renaming it and rebooting, it's no longer launched when connected. Instead, DisplayOut mirroring works. :-)

To rename, I:

(1) Installed iFile from Cydia.
(2) Started iFile and navigated to /Applications
(3) Found iPodOut.app and clicked on the blue arrow to the right.
(4) The top line should read "Name iPodOut.app". Click on this and rename to "iPodOut.app$".
(5) Reboot.

Next time I connected to the Mini with DisplayOut enabled, my screen mirrored properly on the Mini Display. Note, the iPadOut.app is the one that shows the nice Apple TV like interface of your playlists, etc. That no longer works since I renamed it, but it was interfering with everything else.
This worked for me!! Thanks! I was wondering if we could disable iPodOut somehow... great work

Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 AM
joshknot
3rd Gear
Thanks a lot, WickyWack- based on your instructions I was able to finally get this working last night. Well, technically- there was still one issue I had to deal with on my own phone, but once I cleared that it worked like a charm.

For everyone else's benefit if you happen to have downloaded some of same tweaks as me; I had installed DisplayOut and the NoAccSplash tweak (among other things) that suppresses the "Accessory Connected" screen that appears when the iPhone is attached to a compatible accesory (thus allowing you to still manipulate the iPod interface from the phone). What I didn't realize was that within the settings for NoAccSplash, one of the default settings is to turn on a feature called Display Video on Device, which apparently overrides the standard video output feature as well as the DisplayOut functionality.

As soon as I turned that setting in NoAccSplash to 'off' my mirroring worked perfectly.

-Josh

Old 02-20-2013, 09:05 AM
pidge1114
Banned
Originally Posted by joshknot
Thanks a lot, WickyWack- based on your instructions I was able to finally get this working last night. Well, technically- there was still one issue I had to deal with on my own phone, but once I cleared that it worked like a charm.

For everyone else's benefit if you happen to have downloaded some of same tweaks as me; I had installed DisplayOut and the NoAccSplash tweak (among other things) that suppresses the "Accessory Connected" screen that appears when the iPhone is attached to a compatible accesory (thus allowing you to still manipulate the iPod interface from the phone). What I didn't realize was that within the settings for NoAccSplash, one of the default settings is to turn on a feature called Display Video on Device, which apparently overrides the standard video output feature as well as the DisplayOut functionality.

As soon as I turned that setting in NoAccSplash to 'off' my mirroring worked perfectly.

-Josh
which iPhone do you have? the 4 or 5?

Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 AM
joshknot
3rd Gear
which iPhone do you have? the 4 or 5?
I'm using the 4S.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:14 AM
pidge1114
Banned
Originally Posted by joshknot
I'm using the 4S.
Damn! Us 5'ers need help!

Coincidentally I got a call from Mini today regarding how I was doing with my newly purchased Countryman. I brought up that I wish there was better iPhone 5 support. He told me that while he couldn't confirm/deny and progress on the matter regarding a new Y cable with lightning connection, he said that he thinks Mini is waiting to see if this new connection sticks around for awhile before time and money is invested on development.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Is it possible to mirror iPhone display to mini connected?