Navigation & Audio Is it possible to mirror iPhone display to mini connected?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 05:37 AM
kelmac
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Great Thread

Fantastic....Great Work!

Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I knew it was just a matter of time. There is way too much brain power buying MINIs(yes we have a higher average IQ, I'm sure there is a study somewhere!) for this to not have been cracked! Way to go and thanks for sharing it!!

Old 08-20-2012, 06:52 AM
threar
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The nice part about this is that VIM hacking is not required, since this is a plugin interface via the phone. I'm struggling to find a good method for allowing video to remain on while the phone is locked, but otherwise its looking good.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:10 AM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Only comment I will add is when you are downloading DisplayOut from Cydia, you probably want the "official" app from "BigBoss" instead of the cracked app. It will cost you $2.99 but at least you will be supporting the developer (Ryan Petrich) who is a long-time jailbreak community app developer.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:50 AM
haDJi13
Neutral
Originally Posted by coopers111
mct, I am using the cable that came with the car, since the mirrored screen shows up when you select the plug-in feature I can only assume that somehow the Cydia app is fooling the car into thinking that it is showing the ipod-out feature of IOS when its actually showing the iPhone's screen. I noticed that when I don't activate the "display out" on the iPhone and select the plug-in feature on the Connected I get the ipod-like menu. If you think of it this way there's no reason the car should block the video in motion because the car thinks its showing the ipod-like menu and not a video file.
Hi Coopers111, thanks a lot for your super review, I followed exactly your instructions but after jailbreak and installed all the cydia apps, I still can't mirror anything. I didn't received any cable with the car so I used the white apple cable but it says "Connect external device using video enabled Y cable. Then connect both ends (usb and audio jack) to front aux" . So I bought and Y cable and still nothing :-( Am I missing the right cable? Please help

Old 08-24-2012, 07:15 AM
mct
5th Gear
Did you buy the MINI y cable or after-market? The MINI y cable apparently has 3 rings on the 1/8" plug, where more after-market ones only have 2 rings, which will not work from what I understand.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:20 AM
haDJi13
Neutral
I bought it from after-market on ebay, I tought the Y cable is standard :-( Is it possible to buy the real Y Mini Cable online somewhere or is it easier to find it at a MINI representative? Agghh I am so close...

Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Mojito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by haDJi13
I bought it from after-market on ebay, I tought the Y cable is standard :-( Is it possible to buy the real Y Mini Cable online somewhere or is it easier to find it at a MINI representative? Agghh I am so close...
its a very specific cable, but its also a very expensive cable.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Mojito
5th Gear
it should have come with the car if you have connected.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:21 AM
haDJi13
Neutral
I have connected but I didn't received this cable :-( Hmm I should ask my MINI dealer, thanks.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:26 AM
nfo
6th Gear
i always resisted jailbreaking my phone, but this is just too damn good!!

Old 08-24-2012, 10:26 AM
coopers111
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mct
Did you buy the MINI y cable or after-market? The MINI y cable apparently has 3 rings on the 1/8" plug, where more after-market ones only have 2 rings, which will not work from what I understand.
This is correct. The MINI Y cable has 3 rings on the aux plug, you need to use that cable (which should have come with the car) in order to see video. In my case if I disconnect the 1/8" plug and leave the usb plugged in I only get sound and charging, the video seems to come from the aux part of the cable.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:03 PM
absoluteczech
4th Gear
just an fyi if you install 3G Unrestrictor.

at&t has been known to detect this and add the hotspot feature to your phone plan. if that happens and you're currently grandfathered into unlimited 3g (iphone 3g/4 users) not 4s you can also lose that if they add the hotspot plan to your account.

something to keep in mind. i would install it like shown, sans 3G Unrestrictor.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:39 AM
DARK CHILI
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by absoluteczech
just an fyi if you install 3G Unrestrictor.

at&t has been known to detect this and add the hotspot feature to your phone plan. if that happens and you're currently grandfathered into unlimited 3g (iphone 3g/4 users) not 4s you can also lose that if they add the hotspot plan to your account.

something to keep in mind. i would install it like shown, sans 3G Unrestrictor.
I have been using My3G for years without an issue. The only issue I had was with MYWI which makes you a hotspot and got warned by at&t.
And BTW this works awesome!!!!!!!!! Also download mobilevids on cydia and you will get it all

Old 08-29-2012, 08:55 AM
BeauB
Neutral
3G Unrestrictor provides the ability to use 3G/cellular data when Wifi would normally be required. This has nothing to do with Hotspot/Tethering of data. As Dark Chili referenced, it is My3G/MYWI/etc, which allows the setup of a wifi/bluetooth hotspot and/or USB data tethering to an external device, that AT&T may "spot" and penalize you.

3G Unrestrictor only impacts your ability to use increased quantities 3G data, AT&T would have no reason to add tethering charges to your account. If you are on a grandfathered unlimited plan, this feature could allow you to use enough data that would bring attention to you and threaten your "unlimited" data plan. If you aren't on the unlimited plan, then you'd just eat through your monthly allotment and if you went over, AT&T would be happy to charge you more.

BTW - excellent thread! I'm glad I hadn't upgraded my iPhone to IOS6. I can still do an untethered Jailbreak and get my Navigon up on my screen - will be so much nicer than the factory Nav!

Last edited by BeauB; 08-29-2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 09-23-2012, 08:26 PM
jbat66
4th Gear
@CooperS111

Thanks, works great. I have jail-broken my phone in the past, but mainly for hotspot usage. Since Verizon added that, I had no need to jailbreak.. Until now. I had updated to 5.1.1. a while back just in-case I wanted to jail break, knowing that 5.x had problems.

My jail breaking was a pita, I got it done, and installed the cydia apps. Works great!.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:33 PM
jbat66
4th Gear
Originally Posted by coopers111
This is correct. The MINI Y cable has 3 rings on the aux plug, you need to use that cable (which should have come with the car) in order to see video. In my case if I disconnect the 1/8" plug and leave the usb plugged in I only get sound and charging, the video seems to come from the aux part of the cable.
I have an iphone extension cable, and it doesn't pass through the video signal, it makes the screen black, when I plug directly in with the mini Y cable it works like a charm.

I have found out from my Harley-Davidson, I have purchased the same cheep part, two or three times because it broke, and then purchased the real-deal, never to have to purchase that part again. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

My extension cable was a cheap china cable. So there ya go. :-)

Old 09-24-2012, 08:54 AM
mct
5th Gear
FYI - This is the extender cable I purchased to be able to reach our ProClip Iphone mount:

Amazon Amazon

Works perfectly with video, etc.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 AM
jbat66
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mct
FYI - This is the extender cable I purchased to be able to reach our ProClip Iphone mount:

http://www.amazon.com/CableJive-dock...dp/B003N3GRCQ/

Works perfectly with video, etc.

I ordered three different ones from Amazon last night, so I'm hoping one of them works. I figured if they didn't work, I would give them to my family as normal data and battery charging extenders.

Thanks for the info, I may need it if mine doesn't work out.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:11 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
WOW, i just now found this thread! This is GREAT. i cannot wait to try this out tomarrow when i get home. finally, mini connected has been jailbroken to go with my jailbroken iphone THANKS EVERYONE FOR SHARING!!!

Last edited by countryman-s; 09-24-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: additions
Old 09-26-2012, 06:35 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
YEP!! it works almost perfect. great, now i need a iphone dock extension and a way to mount my phone. you can adjust the way the phone looks on the screen with the dispay out settings. its alittle blurry on the home screen but you tube videos are very clear. i cannot wait to get a mount and take advantage of all the possibilities. connected should have come this way originally!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Sliksunny
2nd Gear
Amazing worked for me! I am playing playlist from the Vevo app so all the music videos are coming on! Might delay the purchase if iPhone 5 until a jailbreak is out to keep this going thanks for sharing

Old 09-27-2012, 09:43 AM
jbat66
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Sliksunny
Amazing worked for me! I am playing playlist from the Vevo app so all the music videos are coming on! Might delay the purchase if iPhone 5 until a jailbreak is out to keep this going thanks for sharing
You will not be able to view video in your mini with an iPhone 5, while parked or not, with it hacked or not.

iPhone 5 did away with "iPod out" and "Analog Video"

"Analog Video" is used to view videos while parked.

"iPod out" AND "Analog Video" is used by the hack to mirror the display.

All other Mini connect functions should work with the correct converters or cables.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Fesljummet
1st Gear
Do i need the Y cable or can i use the dock in the armrest?

Old 09-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Mojito
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Fesljummet
Do i need the Y cable or can i use the dock in the armrest?
the dock is a plastic covering, you have to buy the actual dock for ~$250. And it doesn't support the Plugin feature, which you need for this application

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Is it possible to mirror iPhone display to mini connected?