Navigation & Audio Sat Radio operation

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 02:57 PM
FiremanMike
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Sat Radio operation

I have been fighting the Sat radio side of the system these last 10 days, advice is requested. Issue centers around 'searching for reception' being stated on the screen with no channels listed. Happens every few times the system is powered, either key fob, and can be an overnight time or a few minutes when fueling. We normally get the NANNY screen warning about driving while using the Nav/Sat system , that goes away or we click ACCEPT, doesn't matter, and either the channels display or the screen asks "channel or catagory" view along with 'searching'. Just went back out to the garage, Sat did not work when last driving home, Sat channels came right up. Totally confused.
Open to suggestions.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:52 AM
days-like-this
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't had satellite radio since my vw, and it was an add-on, so forgive my stupid question, but I sat in my garage for a while after install myself and couldn't figure out why mine wasn't working...turns out it was the fact I was actually IN the garage (so no reception). If this occurs in your garage only and when fueling, might it be the roof coverings affecting the reception? Hmm...though you say it did just work in your garage on last check.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:59 AM
FiremanMike
2nd Gear
They say everything old is new again, same here with the Sat radio. Seems the guys in the 2nd gen forums have discussed this and the issue is either an antenna or software issue. As my ESN will not display when 'aquiring signal' is diplayed, I am leaning to needing a software update, although why on a 2 week old car....

Old 12-20-2010, 12:29 PM
lhigham2317
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Satellite radio

Did you activate or see the Motoring Advisor activate radio?

Sirius sent a signal a few weeks ago to all cars to activate for a short period of time. If yours was activated that way, it may have expired and now is searching for a signal.

Were you given a username and password to control your accout online. If so, go back online and sent another signal to the car.
Have your MINI outside, running with the radio on 184 station.

If not, call your Motoring Advisor for your ESN # and ask them to resend the signal. Let me know if you have any problems and I will guide you through.

Liz

Old 12-20-2010, 01:36 PM
FiremanMike
2nd Gear
Liz,
I appreciate the reply but I am not certain it will work...
The fault appears to be at power up/down and not open air reception related. Upon delivery, I called and gave Sirrus the ESN, signal came on right away. The display, when showing 'aquiring signal', does not allow any channel selection and will not display the ESN information, only the radio basic diplays are shown, such as favorites or select channel.
The function is intermittent, it will work upon power up in the garage and on the trip to the store. Come back to the car, power up with the same key and nothing. It worked IN the garage yesterday while I installed new mud flaps. Powered down while cleaning up, opened the door and started the car, nothing. Same this morning, it worked when my wife went to work, I showed up a bit later and no signal. VERY INTERESTING
My service adviser is checking, I told him not to call until he has a solution as I do not want to drive 4hrs in and have the service techs say they need to order an update.
I do think that resending the signal to activate is a good idea, nothing to lose.
So far this is the only issue, only frustrating if it is an old issue.
Mike

Old 12-23-2010, 09:31 AM
jmdor
4th Gear
Could this be an effect of how many satellites are in the sky at a given time?

Old 01-24-2011, 03:18 PM
03mini-S
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I miss the different sound patterns (Mini h/k, Spatial, Electronic, Instrumental, Festival)that my '03 Harman Kardon has.
Does anyone know when they discontinued these patterns? Was it when they incorporated the head units into the speedo unit? I'm assuming the MINI Connected version doesn't have it either?

Last edited by 03mini-S; 02-10-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:02 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 03mini-S
I miss the different sound patterns (Mini h/k, Spatial, Electronic, Instrumental, Festival)that my '03 Harman Kardon has.
Does anyone know when they discontinued these patterns? Was it when they incorporated the head units into the speedo unit? I'm assuming the MINI Connected version doesn't have it either?
As this is off topic for the thread I will answer it quickly. It change when the 2nd gen cars came out in 07 (09 for verts)

Back to the regularly schedule thread.

This sounds like a bad antenna or connection. Either way the techs CAN NOT diagnose it with out the car being there so your 4 hour drive will be inevitable.

Now as to all the possible parts being available that is doubtful seeing as this is a new model and some could be on back order at the warehouse in Germany or England. Even if they had them there is would still take about three days to get them.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:50 PM
GI-Joe
1st Gear
I now this is an old thread but I didnt wanna start a new one and clutter up the search. I bought my 07 used a few months back and it has a lifetime sat subscription. How do I pop up the ESN number? When I went on a test drive for a 2011 the salesman showed me how to do it on screen but I forgot how.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:16 AM
DrPsyduck
Neutral
Esn #

I believe the number is shown when the radio is tuned to channel 1.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:48 AM
VTECPWR
Neutral
Finding ESN number

To find the ESN number on the Sirius radio, push and hold the SAT button until you see the Sirius phone number appear. Then use the selection/tuner control to scroll to your ESN number.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:01 PM
hearthand
2nd Gear
You either have a defective antenna or a bad connection to the module of the sat receiver...Take it in and have them check it.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting thread. My wife has had her Countryman for a week now and has been experiencing the "aquiring signal" message quite often. She is also having a problem with all of her radio/satellite preset buttons losing their memory settings. This is not a nav radio. Anyone have experience with this? Anyone know where to get gremlin repellant?

Old 06-06-2012, 04:53 PM
FiremanMike
2nd Gear
There is a cure for the 'acquiring signal' message...a new radio.
My apologies for not responding to my solution earlier, no excuse.
The radio is at fault, period. My experience was resolved at Willis in DSM under warranty. Make certain that your dealer is up to speed on your issue first. This is one of those not always verifiable problems, in that if no codes are thrown or the issue does not exist each time you start the MINI, how can they verify and repair? I was able to have the issue appear at start up one morning and drive 2 hrs into service. Do NOT shut the MINI off and the service folks can see and verify. At this point, a new unit was ordered, I went back, the new install was done and NO issue since.
There is a verifiable track record of the radio failing, check the CLUBMAN threads, and it is just one of those pain in MINI/BMW's butt but they will fix it. Be prepared for an all day stay at MINI, computer downloads and such are required after the replacement.
Mike

Old 06-07-2012, 05:01 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice! It's always nice to hear of an issue being resolved! I'll share this with my wife. Thanks for the update Mike!

Regarding the radio preset buttons, our SA pointed out an issue that folks with comfort access often experience. Evidently the key needs to be plugged into the dash for it to remember your programming choices! Makes sense. We are giving it a go to see what happens. I've also put different fobs on each of our keys so we can tell them apart.