Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Idiot's guide to using an iPhone with an R56?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 03:19 PM
iMike
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idiot's guide to using an iPhone with an R56?

Idiot here.

New to me 08 Scooper has Convenience and Premium packages which seems to mean, as far as the radio is concerned, that it's got Bluetooth and a USB input.

Have figured out how to connect an iPhone 5 running iOS 7 to the radio using bluetooth and can make and receive phone calls. All good there.

Now I'd like to play music from the phone to the radio. Can't do that via bluetooth that I can see. When I plug in the USB I get an error message on the radio.

Have read about a Y cable that BMW sells. Doesn't appear that it's available for the Lightning connector used on iPhone 5 and up? And it looks like nothing more than a USB charger paired with a two-ended patch cord to go from the headphone jack on the phone to the input next to the USB port.

Then there's some app called Mini Connection that I've downloaded and apparently need the Y cable (which isn't available) to connect to the car? Finally, there's some kind of sled inside the armrest that should be configured to fit my phone however the insert "doesn't work" according to a number of threads?

If I just want to make phone calls and listen to music from my phone, what do I need? Maybe just a set of headphones.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:38 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok, Bluetooth and music on the radio are two different things.

You most certainly need the BMW/Mini splitter cable (30 pin) and then you also need a factory Apple (not a copy) 30 pin to lightning adapter. (for music/radio)

As for Bluetooth, you should be able to pair it fine with the car as long as the car is equipped for it. - And correct you can't stream music from the phone.

That's where I would start.

As for the Mini connected app, don't worry about it, its for the later car with the Connected system.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:16 PM
iMike
1st Gear
Found a (claimed) authentic one on ebay for $25 or so. Already have a 30 pin adapter so we should be good to go.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Wrecks
2nd Gear
As long as you have the 30pin -> cable -> lighting adapter. Unless your iphone 5 doesn't sport a case.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:28 PM
iMike
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Wrecks
As long as you have the 30pin -> cable -> lighting adapter. Unless your iphone 5 doesn't sport a case.
Yeah, have a similar setup in my truck.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:53 PM
zrickety
4th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
A regular aux input cable?? That's the only way I know.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:25 PM
Kimbo80
4th Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
Ok, Bluetooth and music on the radio are two different things.

You most certainly need the BMW/Mini splitter cable (30 pin) and then you also need a factory Apple (not a copy) 30 pin to lightning adapter. (for music/radio)

As for Bluetooth, you should be able to pair it fine with the car as long as the car is equipped for it. - And correct you can't stream music from the phone.

That's where I would start.

As for the Mini connected app, don't worry about it, its for the later car with the Connected system.
I am able to stream Pandora from my iPhone 4s (iOS 7) using the BMW Y Cable. The artist name and song comes up on my radio display. The only issue is the cable is so short, that it easily unplugs from my iPhone. Does anyone know if a longer cable exists?

BTW I have a 2009 Clubman

Old 01-29-2014, 03:43 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 01-29-2014, 05:10 AM
Kimbo80
4th Gear
Old 02-05-2014, 03:21 AM
EffieDear
Neutral
Ok, I'm still confused. Though in truth I just had to google what a lightning adapter was. :/

I have a 2013 Hardtop S. Doesn't have the fancy in dash navigation/connected thing, but I do have that lovely speedometer that is bigger than my head.

1. I guess that means the Connected App is useless to me? ---- still looking for this answer
2. I have the y cable from my 08 BMW X5 that I sold. I've been using it with my iPod easy peasy. Are you saying now buy a lightning adapter and I can use it with my iPhone 5? ---- still looking for this answer
3. I also bought a y cable for an iPhone 5 but I get an error message when I hook it up. I just found a note on the sellers page that says to plug in the cable w/ the car off, then crank car, switch to Aux then plug in the iPhone. Anyone ever heard of this? ---- Found the answer. I can play music directly from my iPhone w/ this cable but there's no info on the screen like the iPod. I guess that's where the 30 pin adapter comes in.

Thanks in advance! Love my new little car.

Last edited by EffieDear; 02-05-2014 at 09:57 AM. Reason: found some answers
Old 02-07-2014, 05:12 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
Just watch out for surprises. A few weeks after I gritted my teeth and bought a used iPhone 4, and then stumbled through the Bluetooth integration, I was waiting at the starting line for the 3rd run of a regional SCCA Solo event - mentally focused, blipping the throttle, and minding the starter from my peripheral vision.

Then the CAR RANG!

The starter and I both cracked up - and I did not take the call (or flub the run).

What's better though are the stories about OnStar calling Corvette owners in the middle of a competition run to ask if they've been in an accident.

Luddite in Boston,

Charlie

Old 02-07-2014, 08:55 AM
EffieDear
Neutral
HA! I don't think that will be an issue, but thanks for the head's up. I had an 06 Corvette and I never raced it so I never got one of those calls... but too funny!!

Old 02-22-2014, 06:05 AM
sthayer
Neutral
I have a 2009 with the basic USB and AUX port. I was really afraid of moving from the 4S to the 5S a few months ago because of all the reports of non-compatibility using the lightning/8-pin adapter. I just want to report the 5S works perfectly. I have a the Mini adapter then an Apple 30-pin to 8-pin adapter and all works perfectly. I do get that pop-up message on my phone that "This is accessory is not compatible", but I just acknowledge it and all is good.

Here's all that works:
- Charges
- Calls
- Siri
- Pandora
- Podcasts (the Mini actually sees Podcasts as done historically, as audio files, so thye show up in your album list)
- Steering wheel controls to skip songs
- Google Map directions

One weird thing that happened was that the steering wheel controls didn't work and the song titles didn't seem to port to the dash when I first got the phone and tried to use Pandora. In the evening, I uploaded music files onto the phone, it was completely empty before. The next day, everything worked. I'm not exactly sure what happened there.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:23 AM
vetsvette
Received 452 Likes on 344 Posts
Sadly, I don't have a USB port on mine, so I don't have the option of the Y cable. I do have a dealer installed iPod cable in my "secret" compartment. Works okay with iPod classic, but I wish I had the option of using Pandora. Haven't tried the iPhone on this cable because I use Siri to dial numbers and that would be tough with the phone in the dash. The phone cradle in my arm rest is useless. Can't access numbers through the steering wheel control. I can scroll through my address book manually with the radio controls, but if I try to make a call using steering wheel controls it tells me my phone book is empty. Now I just use Siri for placing calls.Pretty disappointed with the whole setup.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:12 PM
EffieDear
Neutral
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Sadly, I don't have a USB port on mine, so I don't have the option of the Y cable. I do have a dealer installed iPod cable in my "secret" compartment. Works okay with iPod classic, but I wish I had the option of using Pandora. Haven't tried the iPhone on this cable because I use Siri to dial numbers and that would be tough with the phone in the dash. The phone cradle in my arm rest is useless. Can't access numbers through the steering wheel control. I can scroll through my address book manually with the radio controls, but if I try to make a call using steering wheel controls it tells me my phone book is empty. Now I just use Siri for placing calls.Pretty disappointed with the whole setup.

"Secret compartment"?? Do tell. I've probably not found it yet...

Old 02-22-2014, 03:20 PM
vetsvette
Not sure which years/models it is included in, but my '07 has it. Push in and release the panel above the glove box and it should open.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:14 AM
EffieDear
Neutral
Originally Posted by vetsvette
Not sure which years/models it is included in, but my '07 has it. Push in and release the panel above the glove box and it should open.
Oh muh goodness I feel dumb. Especially since I just sold an 08 BMW X5 w/ a very similar compartment ("secret" button popped it open). Thanks!

Old 02-23-2014, 06:30 AM
vetsvette
No problem. I forget it's there sometimes.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:18 PM
vince217
1st Gear
When i use google maps via Bluetooth, the volume is very low, I can barely hear it even when I'm not moving. Is there any way to increase the volume on the voice giving directions?

Old 02-24-2014, 02:55 PM
BazV
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I can stream music via bluetooth from my iPhone 5 to the stereo just fine. Ive never used the Y cable for anything.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:24 AM
paulsonm
Neutral
How do you stream music from 5S to stereo? Do you have NAV? I do not and cannot stream music in my 2014 Cooper S Convertible?