Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 08:47 PM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Received 309 Likes on 225 Posts
Also....

What are the most recent releases of the Speedo Replacement type of Replacement stereos shown above?
Android 8.1?

Links to these units for sale?

Thank you in advance.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:43 PM
sandroatg
1st Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi,
Spedometer holds no data. All the settings are saved on the rev counter and on CAS.
On this thread we are talking about OEM sat nav. If you would install an Android device, in my opinion, it's better the big analogic tachometer that you already have 😉

Old 04-01-2019, 12:01 AM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Received 309 Likes on 225 Posts
That moment you realize you posted in the wrong thread!

ARGH...

Thank you !

Old 04-02-2019, 01:53 AM
Botschafter
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally got all Units working outside my R56 . Next Step is to insert everything for Visual Boost into my R56. Thank you very much so far for all your help!
Do i have to add a MOST Loop to Visual Boost Unit? Because i will not connect a Combox Unit.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:00 AM
Davers
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I thought a combox was need for Bluetooth? Because the Bluetooth module connects via the box to the radio if I remember rightly.

Originally Posted by Botschafter
Finally got all Units working outside my R56 . Next Step is to insert everything for Visual Boost into my R56. Thank you very much so far for all your help!
Do i have to add a MOST Loop to Visual Boost Unit? Because i will not connect a Combox Unit.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:59 PM
Botschafter
1st Gear
I can definately confirm after fitting alltogether in the car on next weekend.
But like on CD Boost, Bluetooth is provided with the Radio Unit in Visual Boost too.
So if only Bluetooth handsfree is needed, there is no need for additional Combox. My Mini allready has USB, Aux and Handsfree Options.
Bluetooth Streaming or Mini Connected Apps will need such Combox.

So if sandroatg is right:
"The big beige connector is for USB. The small one is for Bluetooth. So you don't need a Combox. You will have all Bluetooth functions exept for streaming audio, that requires combox".

Old 04-05-2019, 10:45 AM
Botschafter
1st Gear
Did my Retrofit to Visual Boost today in about 4 Hours .
I can confirm working Bluetooth telephone functions without Combox in my R56. But no Bluettoth Streaming and no Mini Connect Features like mentioned from sandroatg . I do not need these functions.
But i'm also missing USB Support. During my work i found a USB Hub under the place of Radio. This hub has white Connector. On Visual Boost Radio USB Connector is beige. I removed the plug coding with a knife so the plug can take place on radio connector.
But no USB functions. Anybody knows about what to do to get USB work? Perhaps a option for that has to be coded in car configuration?
On Champ 2 Docs i found in the internet, the beige Connectors are used für Map Updates with usb. But a Visual Boost has no navigation functions. So why does my Visual Boost have this connector? What to do, to have usb connection to usb hub again?

And last, the second beige connector for Bluetooth antenna. Bluetooth is allreready working well. Do i need to add a bluetooth antenna there?

Thank you very much so far to all of you helping me.
My last step will be to get the USB Hub working again.

Last edited by Botschafter; 04-05-2019 at 01:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Botschafter:
bratling (04-14-2019), Melissa Pitcock (12-16-2020)
Old 04-05-2019, 12:36 PM
MastaFlash
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m so lost with the OEM Navi and my 2011 with Harmon Kardon system. I’m I able to run the oem navi with my H/K? Is there any other parts I need? I’ve tried searching and this is my first Mini

Old 04-05-2019, 11:11 PM
sandroatg
1st Gear
Did my Retrofit to Visual Boost today in about 4 Hours .
I can confirm working Bluetooth telephone functions without Combox in my R56. But no Bluettoth Streaming and no Mini Connect Features like mentioned from sandroatg . I do not need these functions.
But i'm also missing USB Support. During my work i found a USB Hub under the place of Radio. This hub has white Connector. On Visual Boost Radio USB Connector is beige. I removed the plug coding with a knife so the plug can take place on radio connector.
But no USB functions. Anybody knows about what to do to get USB work? Perhaps a option for that has to be coded in car configuration?
On Champ 2 Docs i found in the internet, the beige Connectors are used für Map Updates with usb. But a Visual Boost has no navigation functions. So why does my Visual Boost have this connector? What to do, to have usb connection to usb hub again?

And last, the second beige connector for Bluetooth antenna. Bluetooth is allreready working well. Do i need to add a bluetooth antenna there?

Thank you very much so far to all of you helping me.
My last step will be to get the USB Hub working again.

White plug cable has a different pinout. You have to search USB CABLE FOR MAPS UPDATE on ebay, then link directly to the usb port.
Your snap in will be unusable unfortunately.
I don't know where to find a longer version. You could cut the cable and modify the pinout if you want(so your usb hub will work) , but it is not a good idea in my opinion

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273708483896

The following users liked this post:
Botschafter (04-06-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 11:15 PM
sandroatg
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MastaFlash
I’m so lost with the OEM Navi and my 2011 with Harmon Kardon system. I’m I able to run the oem navi with my H/K? Is there any other parts I need? I’ve tried searching and this is my first Mini
There are no differences on the wiring. You must code the headunit for Harman Kardon selecting "hifi" instead of "stereo" using ncsexpert

bratling (04-14-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 11:33 PM
Botschafter
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sandroatg
White plug cable has a different pinout. You have to search USB CABLE FOR MAPS UPDATE on ebay, then link directly to the usb port.
I don't know where to find a longer version. You could cut the cable and modify the pinout if you want(so your usb hub will work) , but it is not a good idea in my opinion

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273708483896
Thank you sandroatg! I will follow this advise. Do you think it is possible to find a way to continue usage of usb hub and snap in? Perhaps when connecting the cable you suggested to the Hub instead of direct connection to the USB Port?
Do yopu think i should attach a Bluetooth Antenna to the BT Antenna Port of the Visual Boost?

Last edited by Botschafter; 04-06-2019 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:25 PM
Botschafter
1st Gear
Originally Posted by sandroatg
Hello sandroatg i'm not able to find pinout information of white and beige Fakra Plugs in my car.
Spending last 3 hours with no success.
Can you help me with that? I would like to connect my USB hub to beige USB of Visual Boost. So i can continue to use the usb hub.

Beige Plug is on my Visual Boost Unit,
White Plug on my usb hub.
I've got a White Cable here and would like to change it to suite my needs.

Can you please help me with that information?
Can you confirm this Pinout for White Fakra Plug:
4 = GND
3 = Data +
2 = Data -
1 = +5V
Then I will need Pinout of beige Plug too for rewire.
Another Idea because i allready cut the Coding of my Fagra Plug. Perhaps rotating it instead of rewiring can help. But i think i need the correct Pinout to confirm that.

Last edited by Botschafter; 04-07-2019 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Botschafter
1st Gear
Ok, i found information about turning Connector on beige Plug to 180° for some Exx BMW cars. So I did the same.
But no working usb hub or usb connector after the hub. When connection usb port direcly to the cable before hub usb sticks for testing lights up (led on usb sticks) but cannot be selected on Visual Boost Device Menu. This let me think about two problems:

1. My Visual boost perhaps to be coded for use of usb devices?
2. Why the USB Hub seems not working? Perhaps it is damaged? It worked fine before the change to Visual Boost.

Usage of USB Devices for Music is what i habe to do in my last step of my retrofit. So any ideas and suggestions are very welcome.

Old 04-07-2019, 12:09 PM
Davers
2nd Gear
Looking at at the back of your radio it uses “Most “ which is the fiber connection for a combox which will control the power and connection for the USB and Bluetooth which is not installed directly to your radio if you look at the earlier threads about visual boost radios.

Ok, i found information about turning Connector on beige Plug to 180° for some Exx BMW cars. So I did the same.
But no working usb hub or usb connector after the hub. When connection usb port direcly to the cable before hub usb sticks for testing lights up (led on usb sticks) but cannot be selected on Visual Boost Device Menu. This let me think about two problems:

1. My Visual boost perhaps to be coded for use of usb devices?
2. Why the USB Hub seems not working? Perhaps it is damaged? It worked fine before the change to Visual Boost.

Usage of USB Devices for Music is what i habe to do in my last step of my retrofit. So any ideas and suggestions are very welcome.

Old 04-07-2019, 12:15 PM
Botschafter
1st Gear
Thank you Davers but i thought my beige connector is a usb plug?
If not what it's purpose?

Old 04-07-2019, 12:19 PM
Davers
2nd Gear
Its the usb connection that comes in from the combox which is the brains, the radio is just the controller of the information that is processed via the media box, there is also a separate Bluetooth module that sits under the emergency brake.

Thank you Davers but i thought my beige connector is a usb plug?
If not what it's purpose?

Old 04-07-2019, 12:28 PM
Botschafter
1st Gear
So CD Boost Radio has USB functionality and Visual Boost needs a seperate combox?
Combox is also needed for bluetooth functions? Because i allready have bluetooth functions (handfree only) without having a combox.

We have two different opinions:
sandroatg saying no combox needed for bluetooth and usb.
Davers saying we need a combox for that.
Hard to find out for me whats true in my R56

Old 04-07-2019, 12:40 PM
Davers
2nd Gear
If you look at post #79 you’ll see he installed a visual boost with combox in the wiring diagram, the old boost cd it was all built in as you can see on my old radio

So CD Boost Radio has USB functionality and Visual Boost needs a seperate combox?
Combox is also needed for bluetooth functions? Because i allready have bluetooth functions (handfree only) without having a combox.

We have two different opinions:
sandroatg saying no combox needed for bluetooth and usb.
Davers saying we need a combox for that.
Hard to find out for me whats true in my R56

Last edited by Davers; 04-07-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:36 PM
Davers
2nd Gear
When you had the radio set up on your workbench did you have a red light shining from the back of the radio for the fiber connection? If so you need a combox media
I can definately confirm after fitting alltogether in the car on next weekend.
But like on CD Boost, Bluetooth is provided with the Radio Unit in Visual Boost too.
So if only Bluetooth handsfree is needed, there is no need for additional Combox. My Mini allready has USB, Aux and Handsfree Options.
Bluetooth Streaming or Mini Connected Apps will need such Combox.

So if sandroatg is right:
"The big beige connector is for USB. The small one is for Bluetooth. So you don't need a Combox. You will have all Bluetooth functions exept for streaming audio, that requires combox".

Botschafter (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 09:11 PM
Botschafter
1st Gear
So i missunderstood the option of using my usb ports for usb support without combox.
You are right i have the Most fibre cable plugs on the backside. So i understand now, i will need to add the combox too.
I think i will do that i litte bit later to complete my in car puzzle . I'm allready satisfied with current status without usb and streaming support.
I will get the visual boost get coded right for my car with hifi soundsystem first. Then take some time to collect the combox parts and wiring for a second step.

Thank you very much again! I could not get so far without this thread and held of you people!

Old 04-11-2019, 11:09 AM
Botschafter
1st Gear
Today coding with icom was done. A new Menu Option with Power Information (in German language Sportanzeigen) is Displayed in Menu with Bordcomputer.
Can someone here tell me how to get this work? It should Display torque and power. It seems this is only available in BMW M Models equiped with a torque sensor wich is not available in the R56.

Last edited by Botschafter; 04-11-2019 at 08:22 PM. Reason: More Information
frozenwaffles (06-06-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 09:22 AM
sandroatg
1st Gear

As I said, if you have this plug (see picture) you don't need a combox. You have to link to this connector a Bluetooth aerial for handsfree functions.
If you link a combox to the Visual Boost it won't work until you code the HU.
If you don't care about streaming Bluetooth, you don't need a Combox.

USB plug require a different cable: you need a MAPS UPDATE CABLE.
Because of this, if you add and code a Combox, this plug becomes a map update port in the sat nav. It becomes useless on visual boost.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F173841653768

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F253193770485

This is all you need.

Maybe USB HUB requires coding. In any case, I suggest to link the cable directly to USB port, because snap-in uses analog signal to transmitt music (it's linked to the aux circuit).

The following 2 users liked this post by sandroatg:
bratling (04-14-2019), Melissa Pitcock (12-16-2020)
Old 04-13-2019, 09:43 AM
Botschafter
1st Gear
I have no plans to add a combox. Bluettoth Handsfree is working allready but i have to add the Bluetooth Antenna. Allready ordered.
So can you confirm USB is useable when using a cable you habe mentioned and linked? USB Ports in Visual Boost allredy has been coded.

Last edited by Botschafter; 04-13-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:09 AM
sandroatg
1st Gear
The cable linked above is correct for your Visual Boost.
I'm pretty sure that it is suitable for usb HUB too, but I guess you have to activate it on the .trc of your Visual Boost

Botschafter (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 10:21 AM
Botschafter
1st Gear
Because i allready gave a try with this cable:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-1-3-4-Re...72.m2749.l2649
There was no USB connection when inserting an usb drive. Anyway connected with hub or directly.
Only charging with usb is possible.

I will get this cable if it is not the same and give a try. Thank you again sandroatg!

Last edited by Botschafter; 04-13-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio OEM navigation upgrade-Hopefully a how-to guide.