Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio HK audio system different? (05, 06, etc) [pins/amp placement/etc]

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:18 PM
rogo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HK audio system different? (05, 06, etc) [pins/amp placement/etc]

This is a question about adding an amp and sub box

Yes I have searched, this forum, google, links in the threads, but that just makes me more confused. Sorry that it has been asked again

brief run-through:
The first guide was the most detailed step-by-step I have found (about 10 links in different threads in this forum) is for an 05, with the HK system. Looks way to complicated, almost gave up. Then realised the entire thing was for a rewire of all 6 speakers and a sub in the back.

another guide was much easier to follow, and was just what i was looking to do, a sub and amp. All he did was access the amp from the opening in the side panel of the boot, and open a two half connector thing for the amp (grey and black halves) the image for the connector itself was taken from guide one. it was linked so i knew it was from that guide. but he did something different/easier that guide one.

in the simple guide, it mentions wiring the blue remote line into the lighter socket in the other back panel. yet another guide (#3 i guess) spliced the wire into the white remote wire of the HK amp. Sounds like thats the most logical way to go, since thats the wires sole purpose, why not share it with another amp.

My question i guess is how different will it actually be for doing this on a 2010 Cooper? when those guides were for an 05?

- Is the amp still in the same spot for the '10, accessible from the passenger side panel in the boot?

- Is the black/grey connector pin layout the same for the 05 ones. I found a link explaining every wire, then the guide linking to that same layout says that he found it to be wrong. guide two mentioned 1-4, which on the layout charts are woofer left/right. Is pins 1 - 4 the same on all the model years? The chart says it is for Connector X10266, is this the same on all mini's with the HK system?

i've been looking thru countless guides for the past four hours almost, and my rambling accounts for that. I bought the amp/subs/capacitor thinking anyone who knew how to do car audio could help me out. then i read that the speakers dont hook up the the radio, that you cant do the line converter in one spot, it has to be the other. one guide says its there, the other says cut here. one says take off the panel in the front by the pedals, two others say access from the boot. and the front is never touched. So now i dont know if i should try it myself or not. And i dont trust a shop to know the differences and how-to of the diff systems.

Edit: I just realised that the title has 05 06 in it when this is a 2nd gen section. i was going to put 05 06 10 etc but then i didnt have room for everything and had to cut some letters

Last edited by rogo; 07-30-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:35 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by rogo
My question i guess is how different will it actually be for doing this on a 2010 Cooper? when those guides were for an 05?
100% different. 1st and 2nd gen stereos have nothing in common.

Look for threads on adding a sub to 2nd gen HK or HiFi (they have the same configuration, HK has better amp and speakers). Do not use any information for the 1st gen.

Last edited by rkw; 07-31-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:01 AM
rogo
1st Gear
I've been trying to keep my searches aimed more at the 2nd gen forum, but I just cannot find any information.

I know that I need to find the output wires from the HK amp to do the line in converter, but I don't know where that its. And I haven't found a how-to for the 2nd gen.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:44 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Well, I did a simple search and found the connector info here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...questions.html (post #7)

You should use HK amp input, not output because the amp applies filter, crossover, and other processing. Note that the amp input is speaker level signals from the headunit and you'll still need line converters if that's what your sub requires.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:54 AM
rogo
1st Gear
Thank you, I saw that too, but wasnt sure if that was same connector that were in the guides. But since you say they're different systems, I probly should just forget the guides. Waste of time there. Hah.

If I'm reading it correctly, the X9331connector will allow me to tap into the wires -without- any cutting, right? Also, does it matter which side of the white connect I tap into?

and for disconnecting the battery. How do i go about doing that. I sound stupid, but I have never ever done anything with a car. I'm scared as heck of getting shocked. Haha. In the thread it says a 10mm wrench. Do I just loosen the nut over the blue wire? Is there any shock hazard in doing that.

When I do the X9331 tap for the line converter, is there more room in that panel area? the converter I have is kinda bulky, and it looks like that panel is small and stuffed pretty good.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:33 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If I'm reading it correctly, the X9331connector will allow me to tap into the wires -without- any cutting, right? Also, does it matter which side of the white connect I tap into?
Of course it matters which side as one connects to the head unit and one connects to the amp.

and for disconnecting the battery. How do i go about doing that. I sound stupid, but I have never ever done anything with a car. I'm scared as heck of getting shocked. Haha. In the thread it says a 10mm wrench. Do I just loosen the nut over the blue wire? Is there any shock hazard in doing that.
This is going to sound mean BUT if you do not know how to disconnect the battery then you probably should not be working on the electrical in your car.

When I do the X9331 tap for the line converter, is there more room in that panel area? the converter I have is kinda bulky, and it looks like that panel is small and stuffed pretty good.
there is very little room there. your best bet is to make a "tap/passthru" set of connectors and then run down to under teh seat or some other area of the car for the line converter.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:08 AM
rogo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Of course it matters which side as one connects to the head unit and one connects to the amp.
Well i was assuming the same signal traveled thru the wire thru the connector: Signal goes thru the head unit wire, hits the connecter, then carries the same signal to the amp. Is this not the case?

This is going to sound mean BUT if you do not know how to disconnect the battery then you probably should not be working on the electrical in your car.
I completely expected that, but i know you remove the nut and the negative terminal.. thats a start right. haha. i was just wondering if theres a special way to do this

there is very little room there. your best bet is to make a "tap/passthru" set of connectors and then run down to under teh seat or some other area of the car for the line converter.
I was thinking that after I posted. Would removing the plastic molding near where the door opens, and take that back down the side of the car to the boot? is that the easiest way to run wires thru the car?

Old 07-31-2010, 11:50 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Where are you planning to install your new amp? If in the rear of the car, then it would be easier to connect your wiring at the HK amp instead of X9331.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:34 PM
rogo
1st Gear
Yes, in the back.. I had the x9331 apart and was trying to get the pins out so i could do this without cutting/splicing any wires, but i was unable to get the pins out. I was expecting a single blade that locked them all in.. but its got some type of triangle shape and i cant see any room for them to come together.

I saw the amp in the back, and its on the left side, oppostie of all the guides i've found (of course), but saw no connector harness. Is is possible to do this, rkw, without removing the backseat panels (where the rear speakers are, that whole plastic piece) and just remove the carpeted panel in the boot?

Old 07-31-2010, 06:35 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
I have not done it myself. The service manual says to remove the panel in the boot (not the rear seat panel).

Old 08-01-2010, 03:48 PM
rogo
1st Gear
that was a hundred times easier.. now i just gotta find out how to hide the 12v cable to the battery