Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Is there a trick to using Aux-in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 08:08 PM
konijay
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a trick to using Aux-in?

I just bought an MP3 player and I hooked it up to Aux In. All I hear is "kkkkkkkkkkkk......" I did play with the both Mini and MP3's volume. Also set the Aux-volume. I have the base stereo. I'd hate to visit the dealership and have them disassemble my 2 months old Mini....

Old 06-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Sketch
5th Gear
Try a diffeent song? A different M3 player? A different audio cable?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:54 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It would be hlepful if you told us what Make/Model MP3 Player and what type or cabel you are using and exactly how you have it hooked up

Something like

Zune

3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo audio cable

cable goes from headphone jack to aux in

Etc. etc.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:14 PM
konijay
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
It would be hlepful if you told us what Make/Model MP3 Player and what type or cabel you are using and exactly how you have it hooked up

Something like

Zune

3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo audio cable

cable goes from headphone jack to aux in

Etc. etc.
It's a Philips GoGear 4Gb MP3 player.

I bought a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable seperately.

Yes, headphone jack to Mini Aux In hole.

It came with Free 30 day trial Rhapsody. I've downloaded songs to MP3 player but it's not really downloaded(I can't see the files when I hooked it up to my computer. I can only download to the MP3 player and listen to them fine with the headphone. I guess they don't want you downloading for free to your computer during the 30 day trial?)

So I tried different songs that were downloaded from my computer, not Rhapsody's and since this MP3 has FM capability I tried that too. Still "kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk......."

When I unplugged the cable slightly at the Aux In hole, I can hear the music little better but very quite, sounded like it's coming out of 1 speaker.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:01 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Bad cable maybe? Or cable can't plug in all the way because of how the jack is made on the MP3 player?

Old 06-08-2009, 01:32 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Sounds as if the cable is not stereo or is shorted internally. This would cause the no sound issue and may at time cause the KKKKKKKKK issue if the mp3 player output is being shorted.

Can you post a picture of the cable you are using.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:36 PM
pxtech
2nd Gear
did you select AUX from the audio on the headunit?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:25 PM
konijay
2nd Gear
Really really weird....

1. I hooked up my computer(headphone jack) to my Mini(Aux In) using the same cable. It played GREAT....

2. I hooked MP3(headphone) to my computer(microphone jack) using the same cable and i used Sound Recorder program to record what MP3 was playing. It recorded fine too...

Why when I connect this MP3 player to Aux In doesn't work...? How does Mini Aux-In know which device I am using to play?

This the cable I am using
http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID...productID/1517

Old 06-09-2009, 03:01 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Okay that is a good cable to be using and if it works with your computer tehre should be no problem in using it with the MINI.

As pxtech asked are you selecting the AUX input on the radio. It will NOT automatically switch to AUX, YOU MUST select it from the radio screen

1. Press the "AUDIO" button
2. Turn the dial until AUX is highlighted.
3. Press the dial in to select.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:08 AM
konijay
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Okay that is a good cable to be using and if it works with your computer tehre should be no problem in using it with the MINI.

As pxtech asked are you selecting the AUX input on the radio. It will NOT automatically switch to AUX, YOU MUST select it from the radio screen

1. Press the "AUDIO" button
2. Turn the dial until AUX is highlighted.
3. Press the dial in to select.
I have chose the Aux. I've played my laptop and my phone through it and it played fine.

It seems like my MP3 player isn't "compatible" with Mini Aux In?... If I can hear it fine through the headphone, how does the MP3 know what it's hooked up to?

Does the frequency(?) or something like from the output(MP3) has to match with the input devices(Aux-In, headphone...etc)?

Old 06-09-2009, 07:49 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Hmmm... maybe this MP3 player only works right if it sees the right impedance from a set of earbuds? And the impedance of the aux input is different? Grasping at straws here... definitely weird.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:46 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Hmmm... maybe this MP3 player only works right if it sees the right impedance from a set of earbuds? And the impedance of the aux input is different? Grasping at straws here... definitely weird.
I was thinking along those lines as well.

It works to the Microphone input on the computer so it is a very very low level signal.

konijay can you try to connect it to the "Line In" (not Microphone) jack on your computer (if it has one) or someone elses and see if that works. If it does not then the problem is witht he output of the MP3 palyer.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:56 AM
konijay
2nd Gear
Thanks guys for looking at this post

My laptop doesn't have line in...just microphone and headset jacks. Headset that came with the player works fine with my laptop too.

Here are the specs for this MP3. Maybe you guys can compare to your MP3s?... I know it's not the fanciest player but I just have never seen anything like this...

http://www.consumer.philips.com/cons...r+SA1VBE04K-17

Or could there be something in the firmware that only sends the output to the headphone?

Old 06-09-2009, 10:07 AM
problematyk
1st Gear
i just got my 09 MCS this weekend and when my MA was going through the features he hooked my iphone and my ipod into the ipod adapter thing and it will not play the sound. the data comes up on the stereo face but no sound. so maybe there is a problem with the aux ports only? he even got a cable from a different mini to see if it was the cable. i have to take it in and see if they can fix it! i hope they can as that is a factory installed option!

Old 06-09-2009, 11:02 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by problematyk
i just got my 09 MCS this weekend and when my MA was going through the features he hooked my iphone and my ipod into the ipod adapter thing and it will not play the sound. the data comes up on the stereo face but no sound. so maybe there is a problem with the aux ports only? he even got a cable from a different mini to see if it was the cable. i have to take it in and see if they can fix it! i hope they can as that is a factory installed option!
They need to check the AUX input with some other device so to check to see if the AUX is working first. Then if it is then it is a problem with your iPhone.