Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Storing a phone entry with Voice Command

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:16 PM
kymber88
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Storing a phone entry with Voice Command

I just picked up my new car today!!!! Yippee!!

I got the bluetooth to work but now I am trying to enter the names and phone numbers so that I can use the voice command system. I want to be able to say "dial name" and then "George" and be able to have the car automatically call my friend George.

I went through the manual and the way I have interpreted it is that it tells me to do the following:

Press the voice command number
Say "Store Name" wait for the prompt
Say the name you want then wait for the prompt for the number
Say the phone number
Say "Store number"

I have tried this again and again and it just isn't working. I get as far as saying the number and having the computer read back the number to me but when I say "store number" the computer doesn't recognize the command. Is there a different command that I should be using? Am I doing it all wrong? Help!

Old 03-30-2008, 09:33 PM
ipeverywhere
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe when you are done with the number, after it is read back, you say "done" or "save".

Can't remember exactly which one but it was a single word. Also, say "help" a few times. The voice help menu was more accurate then the book.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What kind of phone is it? Some work to voice dial with no setup. My car will voice dial any number in my Razr's phone book without any setup. The phone doesn't have any voice dialing setup on it either. It some how reads my names and compares it to what I say. It works amazingly well.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
I had this same problem, I think I had to say "save number" or "save name" I'm not sure which.

You can always say "help" and it will list the available commands.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:53 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
What kind of phone is it? Some work to voice dial with no setup. My car will voice dial any number in my Razr's phone book without any setup. The phone doesn't have any voice dialing setup on it either. It some how reads my names and compares it to what I say. It works amazingly well.
+1 here... As long as your Mini can read the address book on the phone, you should be able to press the voice command button and say "Call name-listed-in-phone's-address book"

But, saying "Save" instead of "Store Number" should work too:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=113353

Old 03-31-2008, 04:07 PM
kymber88
Neutral
Thank you

Thank you all for your help. My phone was not one of the ones that spoke directly with the car to allow me to use the phone's call list so I had to enter the numbers again with the car.

I followed the advice to use the words "Save Name" and "Save" at the end to save the number and IT WORKED. I now have a fully functional bluetooth!

Old 04-04-2008, 01:17 PM
RR Hounds
2nd Gear
Thanks for posting this thread. I've been trying to find the link that nicknbecka posted. I'd read it when mine was on order but didn't save it. I'd searched (not well enough obviously) but never found it.

I've not tried using the voice dial yet because I figured I'd have to program it and remembered the post which made me think it was going to be a bear to program. I guess I'll try it without programming first to see what happens, then try this.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:38 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RR Hounds
Thanks for posting this thread. I've been trying to find the link that nicknbecka posted. I'd read it when mine was on order but didn't save it. I'd searched (not well enough obviously) but never found it.
Yeah, search is less "search" and more "narrow it down and start a'clickin"