Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Tying Garmin Nuvi audio directly into audio system

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:15 AM
pdoyle
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tying Garmin Nuvi audio directly into audio system

OK here is what I am wanting to do. I have a Garmin Nuvi 680 and I have trouble hearing the voice (traffic alerts) over the audio system. The Garmin audio can use it's internal FM transmitter to produce audio through the sound system but the quality would suck and render my audio system useless. I could also hookup to the Aux In but that too would mean I could not be listening to a CD, radio, iPod, etc. I would like to tie the audio of the Garmin directly into the audio path just like the BlueTooth system was done. This means that the Garmin audio would ride on top of whatever else might be playing. This diagram shows the point at which I would like to tie into the system:

So - does anyone know where (physically) the Bluetooth audio connects into the audio system?

Old 02-05-2008, 07:27 AM
z3bum
5th Gear
Not quite sure why you would use an Ipod or CD for music vs. the NUVI built-in MP3 player? I have a NUVI 360, and part of its usefulness is that is replaces a bluetooth headset, MP3 player and cd changer in the car. It just does everything!

To do what you really want, I think, is possible. You don't want to use Bluetooth though. I would do a hardwire with a relay that can mute the audio on the radio (there should be a mute port you can tap on the harness in the back, my old MINI radio had this for an external phone system) and then send the Garmin audio through the system. With these new MINI radios, there might even be a spot at the back that will let you connect the audio. I haven't taken mine apart yet...

Old 02-05-2008, 08:59 AM
pdoyle
2nd Gear
Z3bum, the purpose of the iPod is my entire audio collection is in AAC format (iTunes) and even my 80GB iPod cannot come close to holding all of it. The Garmin is tiny by comparison even if it could play the AAC audio which it will not.
The reason I mention the Bluetooth is just that it does exactly what you describe. When a call comes in it mutes the audio and then takes over the audio system.
The only issue I have with Bluetooth is that since upgrading my audio system the computer voice is VERY LOUD! I would like to add a resistor or two to that to tone the computer voice down a bit.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:43 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pdoyle
Z3bum, the purpose of the iPod is my entire audio collection is in AAC format (iTunes) and even my 80GB iPod cannot come close to holding all of it. The Garmin is tiny by comparison even if it could play the AAC audio which it will not.
The reason I mention the Bluetooth is just that it does exactly what you describe. When a call comes in it mutes the audio and then takes over the audio system.
The only issue I have with Bluetooth is that since upgrading my audio system the computer voice is VERY LOUD! I would like to add a resistor or two to that to tone the computer voice down a bit.
The volume **** is context sensitive, you may have been turning up the volume as a call came in, or something. If you adjust the volume while the computer voice is speaking, it should remember it for the next time.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:13 PM
n1tr0
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's not the ultimate mp3 player, but we did a 600+ mile roadtrip this weekend using our nuvi 360, we loaded up one of our sdcards with a couple gigs worth of suitable tunes and jacked it into the aux & set it on shuffle.
I'm sure the audiophile purists wouldn't approve, but it was way better then the radio and it pauses the music to give directions. I'll probably order up a few more sdcards.

anyone know what the max capacity/card-size the nuvi's can handle ? Newegg's got 8gig cards for $30...

Old 02-06-2008, 12:05 PM
pdoyle
2nd Gear
Thanks for the suggestion nicknbecka - I'll give that a try. I am hoping someone here can address the central question as to where the Bluetooth module ties into the main audio system. I would prefer this thread not jump the rails and head into a discussion on the pros/cons of the Nuvi's mp3 capabilities.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:21 AM
BoomerMCS
2nd Gear
pdoyle, any luck with your installation.

I want to accomplish the same but my car doesn't have bluetooth.

I would think you could wire the garmin to the stereo, just need to know the correct connections. Have you done this or any thought on how to do it?

Old 02-15-2008, 09:25 AM
pdoyle
2nd Gear
BoomerMCS,
I have not done this yet for the same reasons as you - I am not sure where to tie into the existing system. :-(

Old 02-15-2008, 05:35 PM
BoomerMCS
2nd Gear
Pdoyle:

Somewhere on here is a thread about the Mini Garmin Kit. (Dealer option).
The installation kit has a harness but there is a question as to the accuracy of the installation instructions.

Someone on here has to be a Audio geek that knows how this could be done. He/she just has to see the post and be gracious enough to help.

Cheers!

Old 02-15-2008, 06:13 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BoomerMCS
Pdoyle:

Somewhere on here is a thread about the Mini Garmin Kit. (Dealer option).
The installation kit has a harness but there is a question as to the accuracy of the installation instructions.

Someone on here has to be a Audio geek that knows how this could be done. He/she just has to see the post and be gracious enough to help.

Cheers!
Don't think the Mini Garmin Kit wires into audio, just power.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:03 AM
TUDOR II
1st Gear
I know this is WAY simple and maybe not the level of "hidden" integration you're after, but what about a headphone Y splitter.... just use it the other way around in the AUX in port.
that would allow you to plug the ipod Y/USB/AUX adapter and the GPS into the same AUX input... though you may notice a loss in signal from the ipod. (you can increase the AUX gain in the Hi Fi menu though, or -i think- on the ipod when plugged in)
If you just want to hear driving instructions.... you'd be fine with this setup as I see it. "IPOD" selected in the Hi Fi would give you both iPod and voice instructions from the GPS. You can then tweak your audio output levels on the GPS and iPod to keep each at a relative level you think will work best for your music listening habits.
Am I nuts or would this work???

Old 06-10-2008, 06:38 PM
crump500
2nd Gear
Try newministuff.com I think Mikey just released a new wiring loom just for this purpose. When the NAV unit speaks it over rides what ever is playing thru the speakers then goes back to playing the radio sirius or what ever you are listening to after the NAV is done talking. He is in England and a little expensive due to the weak dollar (ask for the NAM discount about 10%) it takes about 10 days for delivery but his stuff is top notch with great instructions I bought a Parrot wiring loom and it is awesome I can use my MFSW to answer and hang up calls and it automatically mutes my radio when I use my bluetooth phone.

Last edited by crump500; 06-10-2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: spelling