Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio MINI Branded nuvi 360 Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 05:09 PM
Super Coop
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
MINI Branded nuvi 360 Installation

Hello,

I recently purchased a MINI branded Garmin nuvi 360 from ECS Tuning for my R53 and have nothing but frustration with the installation. What should have been a simple one hour installation is into its second day.

First frustration: no installation instructions came with the unit.
Second frustration: no R53 installations found after a lengthy internet search. Closest I could find were for an R56.

The device is physically very easy to mount and only takes a few minutes, it's the wiring that has me crossed up. The harness has two positive and two negative leads with two different connector blocks to plug into two different places under the dash.

That was a mystery because there is one power and one ground wire running up the harness. Why is this? So I took off the tape where all the wires connect to see what was hiding underneath. Nothing is, they're simply connected together. MINI must have a reason for hooking the device to two power sources, perhaps one with the key on and one with the key off, but I cannot figure out where they are. A little time with a test light found an always on source and a key on source, but I have not yet wired it up. It would not have mattered.

Third frustration: I decided to register the device using Garmin Express. Easy enough since I already have a Garmin account. I found the paper with the serial number, map unlock code, and plugged the unit into my laptop. The Garmin won't power on. I tried a different cable. Dead. Plugged it into a household USB charger. Dead.

So I have a dead GPS and no idea how to properly install it. Exchanging the unit is easy enough, but does anybody have any insight as to where the connectors are to wire this thing up?

Thanks,

Dave