MINI5280 The Motoring Society of the Rocky Mountain Region. Visit the club site at www.mini5280.org and Event Calendar.

New Colorado NAM members, please post HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 04:48 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to welcome all new NAM members to MINI5280 and Rocky Mountain Motoring. We would like to know who you are and a little bit about you, so please post in this Forum. Please only share information your are comfortable sharing, but the things we like to know are:
  • WHEN did you get your MINI (or Mini)?
  • WHAT is your MINI or Mini's name?
  • WHAT color or colors is your MINI?
  • What options did you get on your MINI?
  • WILL you be doing modifications to your MINI or Mini?
  • WHERE did you get your MINI or Mini? New? Used?
  • WHY did you get a MINI or Mini?
  • WHAT part of town will you be seen in?
  • WHAT types of events would you likely be involved in? (choices are things like weeknight events, food rides, mountain rides, autocross, track days, weekend events, food only, tech talks, etc. Feel free to make up your own.)
  • WHAT can MINI5280 do for you?
  • and more.
Please give us the opportunity to welcome you to the MINI5280 and Colorado Motoring Community. Also, please be sure to find our Events Calendar right here in NAM. Click on Calendar in the left margin, then scroll down and JUMP to the MINI5280 Calendar. You are there.

Thanks, and Welcome to MINI Motoring!!

Jonathan Souza, President@MINI5280.org
Rick Gonzales, Membership@MINI5280.org
Nick Ko, Treasurer@MINI5280.org
Kendall Gelner, Secretary@MINI5280.org

JPS

Old 08-17-2005, 04:51 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Stella Mini, a new MINI

is out there somewhere. Tell us about yourself!!

JPS

Old 08-26-2005, 06:49 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
New Nebraska MINI

Ordered Einstein on Aug 1 2005 From Ralph Schomp ( the wait is killing me )
Einstein is PS/B MCS 6spd all packages. Rear fog lamp, HK, did not get the park assist. I also got the limited slip diff.
Have not decided if Einstein will need mods. Have to see, down the road maybe.
Saw my first MINI in Road & Track in 2002 love at first sight. To bad I had just purchased a 2001 Tundra.
You can find me cruising the road in South Central Nebraska (if the Einstein gets here on the boat soon).
Making plans to attend the Dragon in 2006. Looks like loads of fun.
Jon would like to make arrangements meet and travel with your group in KS if possible.

Now that you know about my MINI. This is me.
39 Retired after 20 years in the National Guard. Single no kids. .
Now I can finally relax.

Look foreward to doing some things with 5280.

Old 08-27-2005, 05:10 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Thank you for posting, and welcome

to MINI5280, Rocky Mountain Motoring, et al.

Indeed we are planning our return to the Dragon in '06, I have made my reservations already. The great " Denver to St. Louis to The Dragon " caravan will live to Motor again.

Feel free to keep an eye on our MINI5280 Calendar right here in NAM....we have some very big events coming up such as the Conclave in Denver (all Brit cars, about 500 or so) next month, our own Yalla Yalla next month, and the Run 4 the Corners (UT, AZ, NM, CO) in October. Long trips for you but...MINI fun times.

Please stay in touch, post often, add your comments.

Jonathan

Old 08-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Zyamfier
Thanks, will do

Plan on trying to make some of the events in the Denver area. I have relatives in Broomfield and the Springs so I make my way down there often.

Thanks for the invite and hope to see the group soon.

Old 08-27-2005, 02:45 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Very Good

Our next event up North leaves from Ft. Collins on Saturday, Sept 3rd....up to the mtns then dinner at the Mishawaka....join us if you can.

Find the details in our NAM calendar right here...feel free to indicate there if you can join.

JPS

Old 08-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Zyamfier
Will probably be carless still

I will still be carless at that time. However, I would like to come and meet everyone if possible. Any chance someone would want a navigator? Somehow following in my Tundra would not seem right.

Old 08-27-2005, 05:32 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Glad to hear that

Your best bet (not knowing when your car arrives) is to come the weekend of Sept 17 and 18. We have the Colorado Conclave up in Arvada. See

www.coloradoconclave.com

It is a 2 day event (Brit cars) and that includes MINIs and Minis. Saturday is the drive (leaves early AM) and Sunday is the Concours (show). You are welcome with me (and any number of others) on the drive - navigators are recommended. On Sunday, you can easily hang with the MINI and Mini folks as we will have shade, beverages, and fun. I expect we will have 40+ new MINIs plus 15 or so more classics. That would be a full weekend but still leave time for family in town, etc.

There is no cost to you to show up so pls consider that. Otherwise, our MINI5280 anniversary event (Yalla Yalla) is Sept 25th...about 4 hours of fun, too.

Do let us know....you can this or any other Forum.

JPS

Old 09-12-2005, 03:03 PM
micahbones
3rd Gear
Hi. Just made my first post on NAM, but thought I should hit the 5280 forum too. Here are my answers to your questions above:

On 9/3 I placed an order at Schomp for an '06 MCS (SB/S, cloth, cold weather, LSD, xenons, anthracite headliner, front and rear fogs) -- and just found out it has been scheduled for production week 40! That means with luck it (no name yet) will be here in early December. As for mods, over time as my budget permits, I plan to do some basic upgrades through WMS (in approximate order): plugs, wires, rear sway, springs, catch can, short shift, pullies (supercharger and crank), intake, exhaust, chip.

I finally purchased a Mini because I fell in love at first site (I have always driven hatchbacks -- currently a '98 GTI VR6), and particularly like the styling, handling, quick steering ratio (makes my GTI seem like a truck!), and performance upgrade possibilities of the Mini.

Come December you can look for me and my Mini in and around Boulder during the week, and out and about in Colorado on the weekends -- I ride and race bikes (mountain, road, cyclocross) so am often cruising to various locales in the state. You can also look for me on any twisty canyon or road that can be found in the state. I learned to drive on the narrow, hilly, tail-of-the-dragon-like roads of West Virginia (and in many ways miss what that state has to offer for driving)...and am often trying to seek out the untrafficked "canyon carving" experience (always within the bounds of safety I should mention...as a bicyclist/motorcyclist there is nothing worse than some idiot cutting corners across the center yellow line, taking a "racing" line on public roads).

BTW can someone help me to find a good home for my GTI? It would make an excellent affordable alternative or intermediate step for a friend/spouse/son/daughter looking to graduate to an Mini at a later date. Here's the post: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2174767

I will look forward to meeting many of you in the community here, and am getting a head start by attending the monthly meeting tomorrow at WMS! (but be aware I will be pulling up in a VW -- no cat calls please

Old 09-12-2005, 07:16 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Welcome Bones!

Glad to have you as part of the community. We anticipate your MINI....and many Motoring events. Let us know when it arrives, feel free to join any of our events prior to that including the Conclave this weekend, our Yalla Yalla next, and more.

As for the VW, please check into the RMCB5 club locally at www.rmcb5.org and post there. They have a marketplace and they are all VW / Audi folks. They can also suggest, better than I - where you also might go to post for sale.

Thanks, and welcome again.

Jonathan
President@MINI5280.org

JPS

Old 09-12-2005, 08:21 PM
masongregg
Neutral
Pleased with my new MINI

"Dash" is his name. This '05 Cooper was assembled on 5/17 & picked up from the Ralph Schomp delivery room on July 8. He's HM-Blue and sports a black top and black bonnet stripes. Other options include:
  • Premium+Sport Package
  • Xenon
  • Chrome Interior & Anthracite
  • HK Sound (but where's speakers 7 & 8??)
  • no mods planned - why mess w perfection?)
Dash and I can be found around Littleton proper as that's where we live and work. Our first break-in ride was to Glenwood Springs - 2 kids+1 wife --it took a bit of work nursing Dash through the Rockies with a full load.

Why MINI? Love the look!

Interests include mountain rides, fun+food, some weeknight events - just about anything with fellow MINI enthusiasts [or people who appreciate Monty Python.]

Trying to work my schedule to visit the Concourse and YY this month. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Old 09-12-2005, 08:51 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Welcome Gregg

Please do continue to post and keep us informed. We hope you can join some of our events. I am sure you have found our Forums here and also www.MINI5280.org.

Be sure to let us - the MINI community - know what we can do to welcome you.

Thanks,

Jonathan President@MINI5280.org

PS: We have our monthly meeting tomorrow at WEBB Motorsports, 7 pm. 3911 Norwood, Highlands Ranch, CO. just S of C470 and S Santa Fe.

JPS

Old 09-12-2005, 09:49 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
  • WHEN did you get your MINI (or Mini)?
Friday Sept 9th at 10PM
  • WHAT is your MINI or Mini's name?
Smirnoff Vanilla
  • WHAT color or colors is your MINI?
Black/Black
  • What options did you get on your MINI?
MINI S Convertible, Premium package, Sport Package, Mini-Lite 17", Chrome in/out, Full Leather one color, Chrono and on-board computer, wind deflector, fancy MINI mats, MINI Logo valve stem caps, Climate control, cold weather package, Harman Kardon 8 spkrs.
  • WILL you be doing modifications to your MINI or Mini?
I changed the wheels and tires (F1 GS-D3) the next day, I ordered the PSS9 suspension a week prior to getting the car, I'm planning on doing the Cosworth Stage 2, I have a new OBX header and searching for an exhaust system right now, I will replace the rear stabilizer bar and most bushings, and a few other items.
  • WHERE did you get your MINI or Mini? New? Used?
This is a bit odd, the car is brand new, had 61 miles when I picked it up, I bought it on eBay, it was won in the Smirnoff Vanilla contest and special ordered in and had been titled in Minnesota, so I'm the second owner of a brand new car, I flew in Friday and drove it home 1250 miles in 22 hours, no sleep stop, straight through, I was home 36 hours after I had left for the airport.
  • WHY did you get a MINI or Mini?
I always wanted one but thought they were overpriced here in Canada and I like fast cars that handles, I own a 95 ZR1 with 22k miles on but I wanted a daily driver that would be a blast to drive to and from work that can easily be covered, I was driving an Envoy, lowered with 22" wheels but found it to be too much work to wash and I work in a gravel and concrete supply yard, too dusty and the Envoy is too big for a car cover, too much work, the Mini will be easy to cover up.
  • WHAT part of town will you be seen in?
I'm not sure about that question, I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada, so I won't be seen by too many of you I'm sure.
  • WHAT types of events would you likely be involved in? (choices are things like weeknight events, food rides, mountain rides, autocross, track days, weekend events, food only, tech talks, etc. Feel free to make up your own.)
Tech Talks and track days maybe twice a year.
  • WHAT can MINI5280 do for you?
Teach me what works and what doesn't, I guess?
  • and more.
That's it for now, my name is in my signature.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:53 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
What's the break-in? I haven't had a chance to read the manual but I kept it under 3500 rpm for the first 1250 miles in 22 hours, average speed was around 80 mph I think.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:15 PM
BBoy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by masongregg
HK Sound (but where's speakers 7 & 8??)
On the rear lip in the back of the boot (Gotta stick your head in to see it. I stumbled accross them while installing my iceLink Plus) Sounds great, doesn't it!

Old 09-13-2005, 01:55 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Zrwon, you are there man

FAPP, you have met the breakin period. Some dealers will tell you it is not necessary, anyway (see posts here in NAM). In any case, it takes some guts to stay under 3500 with that kind of new toy....nice work.

Have fun up there with Smirnoff, eh? Sometime you get a wild hair, Drive the Rockies and head on down this way.

BTW, I saw a sign the other day that said "Drink Canada Dry". Thought I might come up and try it...

JPS

Old 09-13-2005, 08:16 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jsouz
FAPP, you have met the breakin period. Some dealers will tell you it is not necessary, anyway (see posts here in NAM). In any case, it takes some guts to stay under 3500 with that kind of new toy....nice work.

Have fun up there with Smirnoff, eh? Sometime you get a wild hair, Drive the Rockies and head on down this way.

BTW, I saw a sign the other day that said "Drink Canada Dry". Thought I might come up and try it...

JPS
It was easy to keep it under 3500, the first half of the drive was with the wildlife, animals all over the roads for almost 8 hours, then the other half was in rain and hail for about 13 hours and at times I couldn't see more than a couple feet in front of the car, eh!
Canada Dry, I have some right here, I can send you some, you guys have Schweppes or something like that, it's basically the same thing.
Dry drink? for some reason that just doesn't sound right, I'm thirty, and since you reminded me, I'll go have one with a shot of Smirnoff Vanilla Twist.

Old 09-14-2005, 09:01 AM
micahbones
3rd Gear
clear bra in boulder/denver?

I attended my first 5280 meeting last night (and was welcomed even though pulled up in a VW) -- it was a great time, and I learned a lot from Randy about the internal workings of the MCS. It was also good to meet everyone else at the meeting.

This could be a question for a new thread, but can anyone recommend a person/place that does quality clear bra installations for Minis? I will be taking delivery of my '06 MCS in the heart of winter, and don't want it to get all chipped up by the copious amounts of gravel and sand that get dumped on our roads that time of year. Schomp wants over $600 (typically dealers "warehouse" those jobs out, pay about $200 per car, and charge the customer $600) -- I figure I can probably get a better install for equal or less price. Thanks for your help!

Old 09-14-2005, 12:42 PM
CoopLex
2nd Gear
If you are North of Denver I just had one put on by.... left their card in the car. I will get back with you with their name. They are east of I25 on 120th in Thornton.

Old 09-14-2005, 12:47 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I had my clearbra installed by IDS (integrated dealer systems is what it stands for, I think ). They are on South Broadway a few blocks north of C470. For a full wrap (first 24" of the hood, grille slats, headlights, bumper cover, and mirror caps) it ran me $450. Schomp MINI put me in contact with them since at the time IDS was doing the clearbra for Schomp (may still be) and I had purchased my car from out of state.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:06 AM
frenchloaf
1st Gear

• Got my MINI July 8, 2005 (Have wanted one since seeing a Mini in '68 in San Francisco - given the time/place/carryings-on, I'm surprised I remembered).
  • Does it have to have a name? If so, I'll come up with something spiffy.
  • Black with checkerboard top, white stripes on bonnet, white wheels & mirrors.
  • OEM roof rack (With two Thule bike carriers), driving lights, heated seats (It was difficult finding a MINI with few options).
  • No mods. It's already pretty cool!? Well, maybe an "S" hood (I like the scoop), if I come into some money.
  • Purchased my MINI, used, at Motorwerks BMW/MINI in Bloomington, MN. It's an '02. Rode the AMTRAK from Sandpoint, Idaho to St. Paul, signed the papers, drove it back to Idaho.
  • Loveland, CO (High Plains Village), after October 1, '05.
  • I eat, like to drive in the mountains, can spectate, am talkative, can spell technical - so it's likely I'll be an irregular participant at a variety of events until a niche is found.
  • Provide opportunities to spend time with other MINI nuts and helping me locate a good service garage.
  • Are any of you bicyclists?

Old 09-16-2005, 03:03 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Hello Loaf! Welcome to NAM, nighttime posting, and MNI5280!

Glad to have you in a MINI and in the area. Here are a few events that you will want to check out ASAP. Our big events of the year are all coming up, and we would love to have you join:
  • September 17 and 18 - Colorado Conclave and Ride the Rockies - This event is actually 2 days. Saturday is the Ride the Rockies event with hundreds of Brit Cars all smokin up the mountains. Leaves about 10 am Saturday from Oak Park in Arvada (65th and Oak). Sunday is the Conclave show, over 500 Brit bikes, cars and trucks physically IN Oak Park. For info go to www.coloradoconclave.com and you can register at the door Saturday or Sunday, but go early, there are lines.
  • September 25th - MINI5280 3rd Annual Yalla Yalla - Our anniversary event, YY is a Ride, scavenger hunt, motoring quiz and musical interlude all rolled into one. We recommend a navigator too as you will be busy. Meets at and leaves from Ralph Schomp MINI in Littleton ( S Broadway at Littleton Blvd) at 11 am and arrives in Golden, CO (via the foothills) at about 3:00 pm. Event concludes at 5 pm after all the prizes and giveaways. Our sponsors providing bling for all of you include NAM, WEBB Motorsports, Ralph Schomp MINI, Detailers Paradise, MINI-stuff, Paragon Motorcars Denver, and CarPartsCoupons. Lots and lots of giveaways....see www.MINI5280.org and our MINI5280 and Rocky Mountain Forums for details. MINI5280 members have no fee, you can pay your MINI5280 dues at the door, or a modest $5 for guests. All vehicles are welcome.
  • October 15 and 16 - R4tC - Run for the Corners - An annual event with New Mexico MINIs, this year we meet on Saturday AM in Taos, Motor New Mexico all day, then end up at the 4 Corners Navajo Monument SW of Cortez, CO. where we meet AZ and UT Minis. Expecting over 30 vehicles, please see our Forums for details. You can go to www.MINI5280.org
Also coming up, more SCCA and BMWCCA Autocross event, our Halloween Ride, Driver's School, and more. See the MINI5280 Calendar here in NAM.

Thanks, we hope you can join us for these events!!

Jonathan
President@MINI5280.org
303-807-9483

Old 09-18-2005, 12:39 PM
usna92
1st Gear
New MINI Soon

Jim Rowland (usna92)

WHEN did you get your MINI (or Mini)?
MINI is at the distro center as week speak. Ordered on July 1st from Schomp and the wait (as well as the gas mileage on my JEEP) is killing me.

WHAT is your MINI or Mini's name?
"Blue Max" for now. It is possible it might change...

WHAT color or colors is your MINI?
Hyper Blue and White, with White Bonnet Stripes

What options did you get on your MINI?
Just about everything you can get on a MINI Cooper S short of JCW. Sport, Premium, Convience, and Winter Packages, as well as the LSD.

WILL you be doing modifications to your MINI or Mini?
Mostly cosmetic I suppose, thought the JCW Air Box is calling me right now...

WHERE did you get your MINI or Mini? New? Used?
Schomp, new, and hopefully this week.

WHY did you get a MINI or Mini?
My wife said I needed a commuter car, that got great gas mileage, and had a good maintenance package. For me it was chance to get back into something sporty and fun to drive. MINI is both and I can't wait.

WHAT part of town will you be seen in?
Most SOUTH Denver/Aurora and Littleton. I am in the Navy stationed at Buckley and commute occasionally to Littleton.

WHAT types of events would you likely be involved in? (choices are things like weeknight events, food rides, mountain rides, autocross, track days, weekend events, food only, tech talks, etc. Feel free to make up your own.)
Haven't really been involved in many car events. Looking forward to the 5280 events to get a real taste.

WHAT can MINI5280 do for you?
Just looking for FUN!

Thanks,
Jim Rowland (usna92)

Old 09-18-2005, 07:29 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Welcome, Jim

We are happy to have you in the Motoring community and we hope you will join MINI5280 and join us often for events.

We had a big weekend this weekend with the Conclave events Saturday and Sunday. Next week: Our anniversary event, Yalla Yalla. Please join us if your car is in and if not, join us anyway. We accept any vehicles including MINIvans.

We have a few other smaller events coming up, then a big weekend R4tC Run for the Corners with NM, AZ and UT MINIs.

Please keep your eye on our Calendar here in NAM, our MINI5280 Forum, and our Rocky Mtn Forum.

Hope to see you out there soon.

Thanks,

JPS

Old 09-19-2005, 11:55 AM
usna92
1st Gear
Membership

Originally Posted by jsouz
We are happy to have you in the Motoring community and we hope you will join MINI5280 and join us often for events.

We had a big weekend this weekend with the Conclave events Saturday and Sunday. Next week: Our anniversary event, Yalla Yalla. Please join us if your car is in and if not, join us anyway. We accept any vehicles including MINIvans.

We have a few other smaller events coming up, then a big weekend R4tC Run for the Corners with NM, AZ and UT MINIs.

Please keep your eye on our Calendar here in NAM, our MINI5280 Forum, and our Rocky Mtn Forum.

Hope to see you out there soon.

Thanks,

JPS
Filled out the membership last night and sending my dues in today.

Thanks,
Jim

Quick Reply: New Colorado NAM members, please post HERE!