MINI5280 The Motoring Society of the Rocky Mountain Region. Visit the club site at www.mini5280.org and Event Calendar.

New Colorado NAM members, please post HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 10:05 AM
allebone
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bryan here, I bought a used 03' Pure Silver Cooper S. I work and live on the Air Force Academy, so if you see me wave you must be one of the 3 Mini sliding around the Academy hills.

I look forward to getting some time to meet other Mini owners. I just recently returned from Iraq, so I love getting out and enjoying a little of what Colorado has to offer...mostly big hills/turns for my new little Go-Kart.

I don't have a name yet (for my Mini), so I will be working on that.

Bryan
allebone@mac.com

Old 10-09-2006, 05:25 AM
pauhana
Take the high road
Welcome!

Bryan,
Welcome and thanks for your time in Iraq. Congratulations on your MCS too. Yes, Colorado has lots of twisty, turney highways, as you know. You can get a feel for more of MINI5280 events by checking out members' photos (use links at MINI5280.org). Full MINI5280 club information at MNI5280.org. Also, watch the MINI5280 Events Calendar right here on NAM (left column Calendar, then select MINI5280 at lower right of calendar page). MINI5280 rides are usually near Denver, but we do try to make routes (and receive suggestions) for surrounding areas. Hope to see you soon!
Rick
President, MINI5280.org

Old 10-10-2006, 08:16 PM
allebone
1st Gear
Rick, thanks for the warm vibes. I am glad to be an owner of a Mini for several reasons (other than I just love the car).

Are you Hawaiian, from hawaii, or ever stationed in hawaii? I've worked along with many people who were stationed there, and was there for a couple weeks. The local guy who worked there taught me a few good "sprit" sayings, and I work with two guys who use pauhana as a word (phrase) meaning, "get the heck out of work on friday"...or at least they describe it that way. So many meaning to so few letters. They also tell me "No Ka Hoi"...not sure...they say it means "i'm the sh*t"...not sure.

Bryan

Old 10-10-2006, 08:51 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Now we all know

where Pauhana came from....

JPS

Old 10-11-2006, 12:43 PM
macarthor
Neutral
Hello All

I'm a belated new member as I've had my Electric Blue '04 MCS JCW for two years now and just recently joined the club.

Going on the third decade of my mid-life crisis (it started in my teens), the Mini has to be at the top of the fun list of the toys. The relationship got a great start after purchasing the car with 800 miles on it in Philadelphia and having a nice road trip to get to know each other. It's been a great two years since.

Jonathan, Thanks for the help with the late sign-up and late arrival for MITM!

I'm looking forward to becoming more involved with club activities in the future.

Wayne

Old 10-11-2006, 02:05 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
No thanks are needed

We do it cuz' we are friendly, fun folk who take care of our own.

Happy to have you.

JPS

Old 10-11-2006, 06:57 PM
pauhana
Take the high road
MINI no ka oi!

Originally Posted by allebone
Are you Hawaiian, from hawaii, or ever stationed in hawaii? I've worked along with many people who were stationed there, and was there for a couple weeks. The local guy who worked there taught me a few good "sprit" sayings, and I work with two guys who use pauhana as a word (phrase) meaning, "get the heck out of work on friday"...or at least they describe it that way. So many meaning to so few letters. They also tell me "No Ka Hoi"...not sure...they say it means "i'm the sh*t"...not sure.

Bryan
No, I'm not Hawaiin (I'm a haole) but I've visited twice. Mom, sisters and brother spent a couple of years in Maui a few years after I grew up left home (years ago). A little bit of pidgin has rubbed off on me over the years (see this site). To me, pau hana means: end of the work day (time to motor in a MINI). Pau means finished and hana means work (I think). No ka oi means like no other. It's popular in Maui, used like this: Maui no ka oi (Maui is like no other place). Oddly enough, the Colorado license plate: PAUHANA is already taken (but not by me)!
Hang loose, bruddah!
Rick

Old 12-28-2006, 06:20 PM
RMINIS
1st Gear
New MINI owner in COS

Howdy,

Just relocating to the Springs from Va. for the FAA at PAFB. We are a two MINI family (for now), 05 EB/B MCS and a 06 CB/Blue MCSC. I have the 05 with me now and it really is mad at me for driving it in the snow. It could also be mad since I've put 4000+ miles on it since late Sep or the fact that it misses it's garage. I am ditching the original R/F for real snow tires this weekend and hope that helps with my ability to drive around here. I have noticed a big reduction in power due to the altitude, but that was to be expected. I was stationed at Lowry AFB from 1981-1987, so do know the area and how to drive in the winter. Once we get settled, would enjoy meeting other MINI owners around the area. I have only seen two in the Springs, but I know there are more out there.

So if you see me on the road, just honk or wave if I don't see you first.

Happy New Year.

Robb (RMINIS)

Old 12-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Zyamfier
Coordinator :: Cooper Owners of Rural Nebraska (CORN)
Robb,
Congrats on the move to colorful Colorado. I may not be from Colorado but consider myself local because I purchased my MINI in Denver at Schomp. In addition the 5280 members put up with me and make me feel like a local.
You will find all the other MINIs soon. The snow needs to let up out there a little before they will be out in force.

Who knows you may want to make a Dragon run this Spring. Click me.
Enjoy the snow, it can't last forever.

Jim

Old 12-28-2006, 07:15 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Welcome to Colorado Motoring!

Welcome Robb. Glad to have you. You have found a few of the most important things, NAM, the MINI5280 Forums and the Rocky Mtn Forums. Then there is www.MINI5280.org. With that and a few new MINI5280 friends, you will be all set. Be sure to see the MINI5280 Calendar right here in NAM, by clicking on Calendar in the left margin. Scroll down, JUMP to MINI5280, you are there.

I am sure that the President of MINI5280, Rick Gonzales will reply here too. If needed, feel free to write to him at President@MINI5280.org and he will reply.

We will put you on our distribution list...and look for you as soon as the snow melts and things thaw a bit. Many of our members drive the MINIs daily, mine is a weekender so it only comes out in good weather.

Hope to meet you soon.

Jonathan

Hi Ho Silver

Old 12-29-2006, 06:20 AM
pauhana
Take the high road
Howdy Robb!

Welcome to Colorado and our unusually deep snow. Before you know it, the sun will take care of that for us. As mentioned in previous posts, checkout and consider joining MINI5280. We are in the process of lining up monthly events such as rides, trips, etc. this spring, summer and fall. The photos section of www.MINI5280.org has links to various members' photo websites where you can view images of previous MINI5280 activities. In Colorado Springs, you may eventually see "gollygwagen" while motoring. He posts often to the "Colorado Springs MINI Sightings" thread (under MINI5280 forums). From all the members of MINI5280, welcome!
Rick
President, MINI5280.org
Info@MINI5280.org

Old 01-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Japic
4th Gear
I'm new to the boards, better check in here before I get in trouble.

I picked up my MINI in about March 2006, used from the Jaguar place jsut a few blocks north of Schomp. She's a 2005 MCS in Pepper White with a black top. I've got my own personal skull and bones riding the sunroof, so I'm a bit unique.

For her options, I think she's mostly standard equipment. She's not my "dream car" perse but I didn't have the time and patience to wait for one that met my every whim straight from the factory. When I upgrade you can bet your bottom dollar that I'll be willing to make her perfect.

I decided on a MINI because I was sick of sadans and can't stand SUVs. I love european engineering ever since I owned an audi in the late 90s and wouldn't get anything less. That narrowed the competition somewhat. VW, been there, done that, and I wasn't that impressed by my new options. I liked the look of the MINIs I saw on the street and thought that they were worth a closer look; the biggest question I had (as a 6'3" guy) is "can I fit?". I went to Schomp the next day and toured the lot, fitting myself into several of them without issue, that REALLY got me thinking. I liked the outside look, I liked the brief time in the cockpit, I liked the hundreds of options for customization that the manufacturer offered... but I didnt' like the 6 month waiting list. Ouch.

So I started looking around town and in a few weeks time found one just down the block with enough options to make me happy. Apparently her past owner wanted a porsche and the poor MINI was out; so I bought her, gave her a new home and added my own personal touch.

The only sad thing is that my girlfriend doesn't enjoy motoring about quite so much as me.

If I can find the time I'd love to driving with 5280 or whomever else, but that time can be an issue. I don't know if any of you went on the English Conclave drive, but I visited a little and met a few of you.

Anyhow, that's my greeting post, mebbe we'll see you around.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:59 PM
pauhana
Take the high road
Welcome Jacob!

Jacob,
Welcome to MINI5280 and thanks for telling us about yourself and your MINI. "She" sounds great! MINI5280 is planning lots of fun and interesting activities for 2007 including the 2nd annual MINIs in the Mountains (MITM), Aug. 9-12 in Copper Mountain -- Coopers Return to Copper. We're planning other local rides and activities as well. We need your input, so please consider attending one or more or our monthly meetings, held on the 2nd Tuesday of the month. The January meeting is the 9th, 7:00 PM, various locations. Check the MINI5280 Event Calendar, hosted right here in North American Motoring. Click Calendar on the left column of the main page, then in the lower right, use the Calendar Jump pull-down to go to MINI5280 Event Calendar.

We hope to motor with you soon!
Rick
President, MINI5280.org

Old 01-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Dr. Watson
1st Gear
  • Hello all, my name is Rene Watson and I have worked for RS MINI for the last 3 years. I finally deceided to get my own MINI when they stopped letting us drive them. The very first MINI I ever saw was in 2002 and it was CR/CR . Ever since then I knew that's what mine would be.
  • WHEN did you get your MINI (or Mini)?
  • November 16, 2006 12:00pm
  • WHAT is your MINI or Mini's name?
  • Oxford
  • WHAT color or colors is your MINI?
  • CR/CR
  • What options did you get on your MINI?
  • Cold Weather, Sport w/17" S-Lites,H/K,Anthracite Headliner,interior body color, chrome line interior,rear fog,multi-function steering and Space grey seats.
  • WILL you be doing modifications to your MINI or Mini?
  • I added black viper stripes with outside tracers
  • WHERE did you get your MINI or Mini? New? Used?
  • Ralph Schomp of course, new custom order
  • WHY did you get a MINI or Mini?
  • Because I have a mad obsession
  • WHAT part of town will you be seen in?
  • Englewood, around the dealer mostly

Old 01-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Shellbell
5th Gear
photos!!?

Photos please Dr. Watson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-16-2007, 08:57 PM
pauhana
Take the high road
Rs Mini

The next time you're in the area of S Broadway & Littleton Blvd (Littleton, Colorado, south of Denver), stop by Ralph Schomp MINI and have a friendly chat over cold bottled water ("Quench your thirst for motoring") with Rene (Dr. Watson) and Shelly (Shellbell)! You'll be glad you did!

Old 01-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Japic
4th Gear
Well, I finally managed to get some pictures uploaded into my gallery. I wanted to share my unique/distinguishing mark here to that folks might know me on sight.

(from my gallery)

For more pics you can visit the gallery, though there's not too much to see at the moment. You can bet that'll chenge when I get back from AMVIV though.

One thing I neglected to mention is where we can be found. I live in SW lakewood around Hampden and Wadsworth and work in the DTC at Orchard and I-25. I park in those areas and can be seen anywhere in between as well as around town wherever I need to be.

I have a few plans for the car still, and expect that by AMVIV I should be 100% on them. I've got my custom plates on order and hope to have them in the near future. I'm going to get my windows tinted down (I think it looks sharp), and then probably add some more graphics to the car. I'm thinking a little graphic on the back window that has Speedy Gonzales (to match her name) and maybe sometheng else pirate related opposite Speedy.

Does anyone actually put their MMID on their car? I've been hesitant to add that because I don't want it to look tacky.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:52 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Nice looking graphic

You will see some other cools ones at AMVIV.

Mike Syfritt of Aethetic Creations there will be doing installs. He is quite good.

JPS

Old 02-01-2007, 04:49 PM
coloradomini
1st Gear
Hello everyone. I have been a member of nam but never knew this thread was here. I bought my Mini on ebay May of 06. Picked it up in Reno Nv. My son and I flew out there he had only had his driving permit for two weeks and he drove us the 1,000 mile to get us home. It is a 04 MCS options are cold weather, auto air, works, Ipod plug (nice), speed sencing wipers, leather and maybe more. I bought it with 17,000 miles. It is dark grey and white. It has no stripes (sad) it will have them after when I get back from Vegas in March. It has no name because I have never been able to figure it's gender. I was able to jump in on MTTS in Vegas and go to Alberque, What a blast that was and I made the best friends ever. We are all going to AMVIV4. Mods are CAI and header. Mini people are the happist people I have ever met. I am looking forward to doing events with Mini 5280. My name is Patrick and I live between Glenwood Springs and Aspen. You can find me on Independence all summer long almost 7 days a week. Well I think that covers it. Remember drive fast.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:37 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Welcome to the world of MINI!

Glad to know you are up there. Give us a reason to bring the gang and come for a visit...please be in touch with Rick who runs MINI5280 - you can reach him at

info@MINI5280.org

I would love to make a nice early summer drive up to Aspen, then another to the nice spa at Glenwood. We can easily get a group together for a trip and we can come Motor your favorite roads with you.

Heck, even a group pic on top of Independence Pass on opening day might be nice!!

Keep in touch. Be sure to watch both the MINI5280 AND the Rocky Mountain Forums...and be sure to post often.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Old 02-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Japic
4th Gear
First and foremost welcome coloradomini, the more the merrier.
Originally Posted by coloradomini
We are all going to AMVIV4.
Now about this part of your post. W're working on a caravan to AMVIV4 and I've got a thread working over HERE (link) If you're interested drop in and say howdy. We'll be heading out your way, so mebbe we can meet on the road. Regarldess of all that, welcome!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:40 PM
coloradomini
1st Gear
Opening day on the pass would be a blast. I will keep everyone posted thru this thread when it is anouced. Fun would be you guys start in Twin lakes and me in Aspen when we meet I turn around we go to Aspen for breakfast. Use the pass a few times and end up with more food at a killer Mex food place in string town Now that the first part of the day is pland what should we do in the afternoon? The pass will be empty just us and locals in other hot rods. That should kick SUNNER off to a great start. Drive fast Patrick

Old 02-06-2007, 06:13 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
DEAL, or NO DEAL?

I will be there. Keep us posted on the expected opening date. We know that it can vary depending on conditions.

Rick and I have a little tradition (emphasis: little) of going up Mt. Evans on Opening Day, too. That typically is the FRIDAY of Memorial Day weekend, at 8 am when they open the gates. Last year, we were both 'Top 12' vehicles up there. We would welcome company, and a group. We like Tommyknockers in Idaho Springs for buffalo wings afterward (easily, the best) and then.....

Assuming these dates do not coincide, we can do both. Assuming they DO, then heck - sounds like a couple of mountains in a day. Breakfast of wings, lunch of Aspen. Whatever works. A hot bath in Glenwood by nightfall.....

Dreaming of Motoring....

Jonathan

Old 02-07-2007, 05:10 PM
pauhana
Take the high road
CDOT Seasonal Highways

Keep an eye on the Seasonal Closure information provided by Colorado Dept. of Transportation (CDOT). Click here for CDOT, select Alerts and Restrictions under the Travel Information. The photo below was taken half way up the Mt Evans Scenic Byway (notice the snow marker) on May 26th, 2006 at 8:52 AM!

Rick

Old 02-20-2007, 11:45 AM
tommy_zito
5th Gear
Hi i'm tommy

I got my mini on valentines day 2007!
I haven't come up with a name for the mini yet.
The mini is Hyper blue with white stripes, white mirrors, and a white top.
My mini came with the the black and blue leater seats, blue dash, gauge package.
i am looking at making the mini faster, havent decided if i want the dyanian kit or the mini maina stage 2 kit, also i want to put the areo body kit and driving lights on it.
i got my mini from ralph shomp bmw and i bought it used with 10K miles on it.
i got a mini because i love the car, i love the lifestyle, and i love he culture around the car.
i will be seen around the north part of town, thornton northgleen area, as well as littleton area.
events i will attend are, i like food rides, mountin rides, any kind of orginazed drives, as well as any thing else that sounds fun!

I look forward to meeting all of the new people, i love the car, and i cant wait for the next drive, and to see every one elses minis. so yeah hi every one!!!!!

Last edited by tommy_zito; 02-20-2007 at 12:31 PM. Reason: forgot to add something...

Quick Reply: New Colorado NAM members, please post HERE!