MINI5280 The Motoring Society of the Rocky Mountain Region. Visit the club site at www.mini5280.org and Event Calendar.

New Colorado NAM members, please post HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 10:02 PM
DSlates1983
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My baby

My Name is Derek Slates. I have been upsesed with the mini's seince the came out. I finally got mine on May 26th. A '02 MCS sport package and preformance package. used with 5226 miles. Chilli red, black roof with stripes. His name is Monster. But do to conflicting issues with the name (ie. fathers company being sued by monster cable) and my Wife getting hers 2 weeks ago. 05' Mcs stock. Used with 5002 miles. Yellow with black roof. She is getting checkerd stripes this week. They are now called Thing ONe and Thing 2. Thing one is from Ralph Schomp, my Wifes is from Irvine BMW in Irvine, CA.
Their is a ton of stuff i would love to do to Thing one to really make him a monster. (ie. 15% reduction pully, Intake, Carbon hood scoop, short throw shifter, camber wheels, rear strut brace... just a few that come to mind. Maybe a stage 5 kit, but im not sure if they have them in the state or just europe) MY wife will be leaving hers stock for now she says. Sometimes i will be seen in Denver mainly around Park medows mall, or on my way to Boulder. I would love to make some of the events but saddly i work friday and saturday all day. So i miss out a bunch. I wouldn't mind trying to orginize an event in the Gunnison County/Crested butte/lake city. For work when i moved back to colorado I sold my Mortgage company, and now with some friends started a BBQ resturant. Cowboys BBQ and Salon. We even have a mechanical Bull. Some one asked about cycling. Yes i do. all types. mainly DH and bmx racing. I have race road and regular mtn bikes.
Derek

Old 09-26-2005, 10:05 PM
DSlates1983
1st Gear
forgot one

Originally Posted by jsouz
[*]WHAT types of events would you likely be involved in? (choices are things like weeknight events, food rides, mountain rides, autocross, track days, weekend events, food only, tech talks, etc. Feel free to make up your own.)
JPS
Mountain rides. I love em. We rallly Monarch Pass all the time. One of the best parts of living in gunnison is all the twisty roads around.
Derek

Old 09-27-2005, 04:58 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
BBQ? You said BBQ?

I think we need to communicate with our R4tC ride coordinator Rick Gonzales...we will be heading back to Denver from Telluride / Silverton / Ouray right thru Gunnison...and we owe you a stop.

Please post in the R4tC forums in MINI5280, Rocky Mtn and New Mexico, let us know the particulars and give us an invite and there is NO reason we cannot stop by and enjoy the Q!!

Thanks for the post, happy to have you, many of our rides are Sundays and we are happy to have you host an event of your liking at the time and place of your choice. Give us a reason to motor up and we will do so...

Thanks,

JPS

Old 10-06-2005, 10:56 AM
chilimac
4th Gear
  • WHEN did you get your MINI (or Mini)?
July 16, 2005

WHAT is your MINI or Mini's name?
Darkness-any Dave Chapelle fans out there?
  • WHAT color or colors is your MINI?
Chili red
  • What options did you get on your MINI?
MINI S Premium package, Sport Package, Full Leather one color, Chrono and on-board computer, Climate control, cold weather package, mag door sills.
  • WILL you be doing modifications to your MINI or Mini?
It came with a few things already done. H sport adjustable sways frot and back, SSR Comps with proxes, KN intake, Borla exhaust.

i plan on installing stainless brake lines that are in the trunk and a pulley at Webb very sooooon
  • WHERE did you get your MINI or Mini? New? Used?
Used 2002 Mini coopers with 7k miles. It belonged to a high up exec. with mothers wax. Car number 3 or 4 in his stable.

WHY did you get a MINI or Mini?

I knew we were moving to CO and could only have one car for a year or so. The M3 was not going to cut it and I was not about to buy a Audi. It came down to WRX and MINI. Eventhough a strong car WRX did not have a character and the sticky factor as the MINI. Plus MINI was a hell of a deal
  • WHAT part of town will you be seen in?
Uptown area around 19th and Pennsylvania until we can find a home and a dedicated garage for DARKNESS
  • WHAT types of events would you likely be involved in? (choices are things like weeknight events, food rides, mountain rides, autocross, track days, weekend events, food only, tech talks, etc. Feel free to make up your own.)
track days, drives, dinner drives. Tech saturdays
  • WHAT can MINI5280 do for you?
lets have a brake line saturday The residents of the apt complex look at me with crazy eyes as I apply three coats of Zaino on Darkness in the parking garage. I could not imagine their faces when I have the car jacked up w/o wheels and bleeding superblue brake fluid, hehehehe

Old 10-06-2005, 11:24 AM
biggripper
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BBoy
On the rear lip in the back of the boot (Gotta stick your head in to see it. I stumbled accross them while installing my iceLink Plus) Sounds great, doesn't it!
Those aren't speakers.

Speakers 7 & 8 are actually somewhere you might not ever guess. Speakers 7 & 8 are actually where the standard tweeter location is. It is a double stacked speaker array...a tweeter stacked on top of a very small mid-range driver. So for you H/K folks you have three speakers in each door.

Sean

Old 10-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Red Erik
2nd Gear
Get the Syrup!

Bob here, and soon to be a Mini owner! Because of limited allocations at Schomp in October, my order date has been delayed until November. Which means that I am now free to waffle back and forth for several more weeks! I was originally looking at a MCS, but am now waffling so bad that I am also looking at the option of ordering a MC. Color choices have ranged between purple haze to blue to red to yellow. The last vehicle I purchased was 18 years ago (a totally awesome Toyota PU), so I guess I can hem and haw (as my Aunt says) just a bit. Any advice on MCS versus MC would be greatly appreciated! Just playing the with builder at miniusa is totally fun, so the period of waiting until my order is placed is filled with happy digital obsession! Cheers!

Old 10-28-2005, 04:50 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Welcome Bob, to the wonderful world of MINI5280

There are some great things about the MINI these days, most notably - as you have found - that you can get about anything you want. We can help you too.....

MINI5280 has two, maybe three events this weekend:

Friday - Dinner and a Twisty - meet at 6:30, SONIC Drive-in on W. Alameda in Lakewood.
Saturday - Detailers Paradise Show N Shine at DP, 1 mile S of I-25 on Broadway. 10 to 1 Open House. The Red Bull MINI will be there, just delivered to Denver.
Sunday - MOTR Minis of the Rockies (our sister club) has cancelled their Halloween ride. That leaves room for us to do one. Suggestions?
Sunday, Nov 6 - Buckhorn to Bucksnort. Leave from Colorado's OLDEST bar and lunch at Colorado's...crookedest. Really, quite a treat up in Sphinx Park.
Tuesday, Nov 8 - MINI5280 Monthly Meeting at WEBB Motorsports - Tech Session too. (If you get an S model, then Randy Webb can, um, enhance it for you. If you get the std Cooper, there is not that much to do easily)

Please watch our site at www.MINI5280.org and our CALENDAR right here in NAM (click Calendar in the left margin, scroll down, JUMP to MINI5280 Calendar, you are there.)

Thanks, come on out with our without the MINI. My vote: Go for the S....

JPS

Old 10-28-2005, 10:12 AM
Lerzard
1st Gear
New member from Lafayette: Motor On!

Well, I've been encouraged to let you all know who we are, etc. so here we are!

Me: Laurie, work in IT for a telecommunications company in Longmont. Trying to sell my '93 Saab 900 Turbo convertible and 2003 H-D Softail in order to finance my new addiction! Heh!

Her: "Sunee", '05 S, Sport Package plus LSD, computer, Liquid Yellow with racing flag top and mirror caps, black bonnet stripes.

The love story: I grew up in car clubs on the East Coast, mostly MG but some Jaguar. My Dad is the Man. Anyway, I knew I wanted to get a MINI, tried to fight the urge for a couple of years and then succumbed and took a test drive in July. At that point, as most of you can relate I'm sure, it was OVER. I stepped out of the car at Schomp and attempted to buy the MINI right there. It was not to be. Called my Dad, whining in pain, and he pointed out that there were plenty of MINIs without owners in the MINI lot near his house in FL. So began the search.

The original plan was to purchase my MINI from a FL dealership, fly down and drive back to CO with my Dad. What with hurricane season coming (and July we had NO idea) and my Dad's reluctance to spend a number of days in a tiny space (wus! ) that plan soon resulted in an order being placed at Sandia MINI in NM.

On October 7th myself and my best buddy took an early flight out of DIA, were picked up at the airport by the dealership and drove away 2.5 hours in my soon to be named MINI. We spent the weekend traveling throughout NM and arrived home on that Sunday in the midst of torrential rains.

I can usually be seen on the 287/36 corridor, mostly between Lafayette and Longmont and Longmont and Denver or Boulder. I plan to participate in some of the rides and, as time permits, possibly autocross as well.

I'm really loving driving Sunee around and it's great to see everyone else out and about!

That's it from me, here's hoping that we can all keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down!

Laurie

Old 12-07-2005, 11:03 AM
ShinyHappyMini
Neutral
She's so Pretty! And FAST!!!

We've been joyfully motoring 8 days now, in a Pepper White 2006 S delivered by Mr. Vince at Shomp. She doesn't have a name just yet, but I'm sure it will come to us soon.

Why are people are staring at us? Maybe they can see their faces in the shiny chrome trim. Maybe it's the big loopy grins on our faces?
Maybe it's the fact that we show up in places sooner than expected (mergers beware!). Nah, it's gotta be because she's so pretty!

And fast. Yes, we'll admit it, we've been drag racing other moms to the middle school up here in Arvada. Are there treatment programs available should this become a problem?

Tracy Laswell

Old 12-07-2005, 08:40 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Welcome Tracy. Glad to have you.

Maybe they smile at you because they want one too and have not ordered theirs. I am glad that Vinnie took care of you, that is just the way it is.

I would like to extend a personal invitation to you to join your first MINI5280 event....this Sunday. See our MINI5280 Calendar right here in NAM for details, and our posts in the MINI5280 Forum.

If you have questions or need info, PM me or let me know here.

Welcome to the wonderful world of MINI Motoring...

Thanks,

Jonathan Souza

Old 01-26-2006, 08:02 PM
jazper11
2nd Gear
Hello all

Old 01-26-2006, 08:10 PM
jazper11
2nd Gear
Hello all
I am soon to be a proud papa of a 06 MCS DS/B and am just bouncing off the walls waiting, pacing back and forth between every Mini site out there and still working on a name. I hope to take delivery by mid march from Ralph Schomp in Denver. I look forward to getting out there and motoring up the Rockies and getting through the break-in with a purpose. I have been day dreaming of this car for almost 3 years now, and finally get the chance (and $$) to satisfy my desire. My girlfriend is already jealous but I’m sure she will adjust. I also look forward to hooking up with all the folks at 5280. Wish me luck and I will report back soon. Thanks y'all.

LJ

Old 01-26-2006, 11:17 PM
BBoy
3rd Gear
Welcome Jazper! It'll be good to have more motorers here in the Springs! The wait will be painfull, but NAM is here to get you through it. Just remember, it's well worth it!

Old 01-27-2006, 06:58 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Welcome, Jazper

to MINI Motoring in Colorado. With or without MINI, you and all are invited to our event this Sunday, the 29th. See the posts in this Forum, but at 1 pm we have our short Annual Meeting and Elections, then BOTH Italian Job Movies, and more.

Please see the Forum or www.MINI5280.org for full details, or PM me here.

Thanks, hope to meet you soon. Please post pics for all to see.

Jonathan Souza
MINI5280.org

Old 02-18-2006, 09:19 PM
redrunner2
1st Gear
Hello To My Fellow Colorado Mini Drivers.

HELLO EVERYONE, I JUST JOINED MINI5280 ABOUT A WEEK AGO. I PREVIOUSLY HAD A SILVER 03' COOPER, BUT SINCE THEN UPGRADED TO A 05' CHILI RED COOPER-S CABRIO. I LOOK FORWARD TO MEETING AND SEEING YOU ALL AT THE UPCOMING EVENTS.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:51 PM
minihawk
2nd Gear
Very soon......

Can't wait. DS MCS 2006. One week!

Old 03-05-2006, 08:02 PM
jazper11
2nd Gear
Hello everyone, I am a soon to be MINI owner and wanted to see if any of you Denver natives purchased through Ralph Schomp and if you had any advice, suggestions or notes for me. I will hopefully be picking up my MINI some time in the next few weeks (cross my fingers). I am so excited and cant wait to get behind the wheel of my very own.

Please if you have any info that could help me out It would be much appreciated. Thanks and hope to meet up with you all in the near future.

LJ

Old 03-05-2006, 08:06 PM
tubular10
1st Gear
I'm in transition between an 02 MC and an 06 MCS and am realllly excited. I know it says my location is Long Island, NY, but I am an undergrad student out here right near Colorado Springs.

Luke

Old 03-05-2006, 08:10 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Welcome to Colorado MINI Motoring...

MINI5280.org welcomes you. One of the best things you can do is keep your eyes on our site and on our Forums in NAM.

We strongly recommend our local MINI dealer, Schomp, no matter where you bot your MINI. Aaron Heggen and crew will always take care of you, no matter what. Try Randy Webb and his crew at WEBBMotorsports for some performance enhancements, and get your detail supplies at DetailersParadise down on Broadway.

Please note that MINI5280 has just posted for a big August event "MINIs in the Mountains" based at Copper Mountain, CO. Please see the top left of your screen when you log in to NAM.

Let us know what we can do for you. MINI5280 has been holding about 50 events per year the last few years, and we look forward to having you out.

Thanks,

Jonathan

JPS

Old 03-05-2006, 08:13 PM
jsouz
6th Gear
Btw....

you can change your signature by clicking User CP (Control Panel) on the left side of your screen.....I learn these things from folks much smarter than I.

JPS

and welcome!!

Old 03-06-2006, 11:23 AM
wharf_rat
2nd Gear
Been on NAM for a few months but just picked up my '06 MCS JCW this weekend. Picked it up in Cleveland on Sat. morning and rolled in to Denver yesterday afternoon. I look forward to meeting more owners and already have MITM on the calendar.

John

Old 03-07-2006, 07:30 AM
Panhead
1st Gear
Bought my Mini March 4th 2006
No name as of yet, I'm sure it will earn one.
Black exterior and blue interior
CD player
Mods are my life, eventually everything
Waco Texas Used 1975
Cuz they are so cool
North Side Homie
I want to do it all.
Well, I just joined I don't know what you can do for me, what can I do for you?
Panhead

Old 03-07-2006, 08:24 PM
DreadPirateTim
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wharf_rat
Been on NAM for a few months but just picked up my '06 MCS JCW this weekend.
Wharf - Quite the ride... very nice! So are you planning to stick OEM or are you looking for some upgrades? Not trying to be nosy, just trying to live vicariously...

Old 03-08-2006, 03:46 AM
jsouz
6th Gear
Welcome Mr. Pirate

to the wonderful world of Colorado Motoring. We want to invite you to
  • join our merry little band, MINI5280 at www.MINI5280.org
  • join our merry little band of posters in the MINI5280 and Rocky Mtn Forums
  • join our August MINI event, MitM MINIs in the Mountains at Copper Mountain, CO - see link and forums at top left of NAM when you log in
Show us a picture of what it WILL look like when it gets here. When is it arriving, where, and what options did you order?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Old 03-08-2006, 04:18 PM
pauhana
Take the high road
Welcome John!

Originally Posted by wharf_rat
Been on NAM for a few months but just picked up my '06 MCS JCW this weekend. Picked it up in Cleveland on Sat. morning and rolled in to Denver yesterday afternoon. I look forward to meeting more owners and already have MITM on the calendar.
John
I'm looking forward to meeting you on future rides with MINI5280. Might you be able to make the trip in a couple of weeks to A MINI Vacation in Vegas (www.amviv.com)? There are a few groups driving together from the Denver area, so be sure to post to the AMVIV-III thread if we should expect you. Again, welcome!
Rick

Quick Reply: New Colorado NAM members, please post HERE!