JCW Car falls on its face at redline; will a tune help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 07:02 AM
jburroughs12
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car falls on its face at redline; will a tune help?

I have a 2019 JCW that is a blast to drive, but one of the biggest issues I have with it is the fact that the last 750 or so RPMs the car just falls on its face. It pulls well through the RPM range up until BEFORE redline, in which case there's a noticeable drop in HP/TQ.

I understand turbocharged engines don't pull in a linear fashion like NA engines do, but this seems like a precipitous drop.

Would a Dinan/Manic/NM tune help the curve there and mitigate some of this drop, or is it just a product of the car and I'll have to learn to drive around it?

Old 06-18-2019, 10:50 AM
nclorax
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I thought that was the computer kicking it back so as to prevent damage to the engine.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:00 AM
jburroughs12
1st Gear
Since it pulls pretty hard through the rev range I would expect it to continue to pull until the rev limiter kicks in instead of plateauing 500-750 RPM before redline.
It could be a factor of the tune, the turbo running out of puff, or a myriad of things.

Granted, for street driving it's not a big deal, just short shift a bit. However, on the track there have been a couple instances where it's faster to hold a gear instead of upshifting only to have to downshift into the next corner.
Either way, it's not a race car, but it would be great if an inexpensive tune could 1) give a nice power bump and 2) give a more linear pull until redline.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:12 AM
RLM
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I have the Racechip GTS in my car and can say it definitely now pulls right to the redline. due to how the box is programmed though (only adds power when needed and reverts to factory tune when possible to conserve fuel) it does have a more noticable lag getting into the power. That said though, I've only found this problem on street when a mix of spirited and normal driving is used. On track and at Auto X, I have not noticed it except for the very first acceleration off the start line. Rest of the lap it seems to stay in "Tuned" mode if your requesting the power all the time.

Also gives a healthy bump in power over stock. +60hp claimed. Yet to dyno verify.

EDIT: 2016 F56 JCW for reference)

Old 06-18-2019, 02:22 PM
jburroughs12
1st Gear
That's an interesting set up there; seems like it could be a good compromise between wanting to be responsible with the MPG at times and going bonkers at other times.
If it's truly ~60hp more that's pretty significant! If their claims are correct Mini/BMW could have done MUCH more! Can't have the car beating up on 2 series, though.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:22 AM
RLM
2nd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jburroughs12
That's an interesting set up there; seems like it could be a good compromise between wanting to be responsible with the MPG at times and going bonkers at other times.
If it's truly ~60hp more that's pretty significant! If their claims are correct Mini/BMW could have done MUCH more! Can't have the car beating up on 2 series, though.
I can say it is definitely a good bump over stock, but I wont put a solid number on it until its on the dyno. can say it will surprise quite a few cars now. Had a brand new Golf R very confused the other day haha.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:57 PM
KYDan
5th Gear
Received 137 Likes on 90 Posts
That does seem like quite a bump for a plug and play. I have the NM and with the exhaust open it dynoe'd at 269.8 with good pull through the band and no hesitation throughout the range and it is a fun little beastie.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:30 AM
jburroughs12
1st Gear
Originally Posted by KYDan
That does seem like quite a bump for a plug and play. I have the NM and with the exhaust open it dynoe'd at 269.8 with good pull through the band and no hesitation throughout the range and it is a fun little beastie.
I have heard good things about the NM product. Seeing real numbers (great ones, at that) is definitely pushing me that route.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:57 AM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Good question! I'm coming from years of driving Hondas... always miss that feeling of the engine screaming for more as you near 8k!

I used a Burger plug-in tuner box for a couple years, similar to the NM. For sure, it's a big improvement. Went a step further recently and got a RPM tune. Overall power is for sure a bit more, and delivery also smoother. But in either case, the engine does run out of steam around 5k. Or at least the turbo does. Here's a chart taken from a data log- it's not a dyno, so power numbers are not accurate, but boost should be. This is a pull through 3rd gear.

I was a little concerned about the drop in boost toward the top, but then went over everyone's dynos on this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...no-thread.html

None of them show boost, but you can see from the torque chart, the same 2 humps. Guess that's the "twin power" turbo at work? So seems to me that it's just the turbo running out of breath. Right?

Looking at the rise in intake temp over the run, hoping to mitigate that and keep more of the top end power, so got a hold of a Forge intercooler. It's still sitting here, waiting for me to have a chunk of time to install. Will follow up with results.

Any other ideas for boosting top end power? I already have a JCW Pro exhaust, and with valve open, it gains throughout the range. Also have an AFE intake, though don't know that intakes make any power on these cars. Doubtful I would ever put in a downpipe. Guess that's probably the extent of what we can do at this point, other than shift at 6k... =P