JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

New MC40 JCW owner here with a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:04 PM
jcwmc40
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New MC40 JCW owner here with a few questions.

Hello all, I have a few questions about my recent purchase.

Where is the production number on the car so I can see which of the 1000 I have?

My car did not come with the original MC40 magnets, where can I get them?

When I got the car, the air conditioning did not work. I gased it up with R-134a and the AC works, however when I am idling the AC is not cold. Any tips?

I also noticed that the passenger door does not unlock electronically. I can lock it remotely, physically, and with the switch on the center console. But I can only unlock it after I have tried to unlock it electronically with the remote or the switch and then by pulling on the door handle to make it open. Is there a fix for this?

Where is a good place to get a replacement driver's side brake light cover?

I have the two fog lights that go on the front grille, is there somewhere I can get a guide of where/how they are suppose to be mounted? Also, I don't think the original screws were included, where can I find them?

I found an integrated iPod cable in the dash, although it does not work. Did this come factory? Any ideas on how to fix it?

What is the little vent up on the ceiling in front of the rear-view mirror?

This car needs a center arm rest

I was considering buying the expensive (Bentley?) service manual for this car, is it worth it or does someone know where I can get one used or cheaper?

Lastly, is there a mechanic that anyone could recommend for someone in the SC area?

Thank you all in advance for the help!!

Last edited by jcwmc40; 06-17-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Added a question
Old 06-17-2013, 01:47 PM
indiR53
2nd Gear
I'll start with this, the grill in front of the rear view mirror is where the factory option bluetooth mic would reside if so equipped.

I don't honestly know the answers to a lot of the other questions of the top of my head but if you do a search of the forum, they are here. I have stumbled upon most of what you are looking for in the past while browsing around the forum.

for parts ECS tuning will have a lot of the factory replacement stuff and they are exptremely helpful so I'd check them out.

There are a few different options for arm rests out there, check some of the vendor sites and you'll be amazed at what's out there as far as accessories both aftermarket and factory original.

Have fun with your new MINI and let's see some pics too!

Old 08-25-2013, 03:57 PM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jcwmc40
Where is the production number on the car so I can see which of the 1000 I have?
It is found on a plaque. I have usually seen it mounted to the carpet between the front seats.

My car did not come with the original MC40 magnets, where can I get them?
Dealer; one of many vendors such as ECS Tuning.

Where is a good place to get a replacement driver's side brake light cover?
Dealer; one of many vendors such as ECS Tuning.

I have the two fog lights that go on the front grille, is there somewhere I can get a guide of where/how they are suppose to be mounted? Also, I don't think the original screws were included, where can I find them?
Those are driving lights, not fog lights. There should be some metal brackets sticking out of the bars in the grille mounted to the bonnet. They are factory parts, so a dealer or someplace like ECS Tuning are your best bets for replacement hardware.

I was considering buying the expensive (Bentley?) service manual for this car, is it worth it or does someone know where I can get one used or cheaper?
Get the Bentley. They make the best manuals.

Lastly, is there a mechanic that anyone could recommend for someone in the SC area?
Way Motor Works in Atlanta is one option. Not sure about anything closer.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Kongfish
2nd Gear
What did you find out about a mechanic, the tuning kit number, the foglights,? I just bought a JCE and I need some help with minor stuff.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:36 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Thanks for the mention KevinR,

"My car did not come with the original MC40 magnets, where can I get them?"

The OEM MINI parts are NLA for the MC decals and 37 magnets, possible we might have another solution in the future. See the last link to thread.

"Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwmc40 View Post
Where is a good place to get a replacement driver's side brake light cover?"

-7/2004 MINIs have the same rear lights and the cover is part of the housing.

Part # 63216935783 Tail Light W/ Bulbs - Driver (Left) -7/2004

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63216935783/

&

Tail Light W/ Bulbs - Passenger (Right) -7/2004

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63216935784/

Or you could go with the euro taillight kit for something different:

Tail Light Euro Set / Third Brake Light - Kit Part # 63210150980

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63210150980/

"Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwmc40 View Post
I have the two fog lights that go on the front grille, is there somewhere I can get a guide of where/how they are suppose to be mounted? Also, I don't think the original screws were included, where can I find them? "

Here is the kit with the hardware. You can waht come with the kit and match it up to yours to see what is missing.

Driving Lights Retrofit Kit - Chrome Part number 63120144132

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63120144132/

Here is the PDF install kit for the part 63120144132 : Click Here

Some of the parts are separate, let me know what you need.

The fastening set which is in the PDF I believe has the front mount brackets to the grille Part # 63120137304

Fastening Set

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/63120137304/

Bentley Manuals are one of the best and most comprehensive for MINI. Its a good thing to have one for the DIY'r.

Bentley Service Manual : MINI Cooper ( R50, R52, R53 )

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/ES2073657/

If you are looking for more MC40 stuff, here is some threads where i talked about it. And some hard to find MC40 parts.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...questions.html

Thanks and good luck.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Last edited by ECSTuning; 02-09-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Kongfish
2nd Gear
Cool,
Thanks,
You don't know where I can find a DIY guide on changing the inside the cabin A/C blower motor resistor for my car an 2002 cooper S with auto air?
where can I find detailed information on my particular car? Stuff like the tuning kit number and other things that JCE has extra on it?

Old 09-24-2013, 01:53 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by Kongfish
Cool,
Thanks,
You don't know where I can find a DIY guide on changing the inside the cabin A/C blower motor resistor for my car an 2002 cooper S with auto air?
where can I find detailed information on my particular car? Stuff like the tuning kit number and other things that JCE has extra on it?
You are welcome,

On the JCW tuning kit number which was in addition most times with the Cooper S.

It would have came with paperwork for the tuning kit and the badge which was on the valve cover with the number of the tuning kit. If you dont have the silver plate JCW/ JCW number badge/ JCW exhaust / and JCW intake, you most likely did not have the Tuning kit, also look for the JCW emblem on the rear and on the lower grille. Or the part were bought a la carte.

Look at the engine. JCW Tuning kit plate with number. Top left in pics. Silver JCW inter-cooler cover ( center ) and JCW intake with badge on the right. On the plate you will see you number .

Also comes with the document , if you can find it.

Here is a link to the JCW Tuning kit brochure in the UK;

Click Here

Here a good thread.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...s-a-jcw-2.html

On the blower motor resistor , kits located on the side of the HVAC system and looks like the part below. Here is the diagram for the system , its part #2 for the Auto air system.

Blower Motor Resistor part # 64111499122

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/64111499122/

Thanks

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-24-2013, 03:19 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a used arm rest for sale. PM me if you are interested.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:13 PM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The owners manual in the glove box should have a plaque with # out of 1000, if you have the original owners manual that is.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:24 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 755 Likes on 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Kongfish
Cool,
Thanks,
The bentley manual is the best repair manual and should have all the instructions you need for changing the resistor.
As for car particulars? depending on what you want to know. Your local dealer can print you out what is called a DCS report which is all the details about your MINI.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-13-2013, 01:23 AM
Kongfish
2nd Gear
Thanks, the parts diagram of the A/C Blower motor Resistor helps to locate the part number. But, as far as replacing the part. It is not in the location where the photo shows it to be. I am not going to be able to buy the replacement until I can remove the old one. Do you have any info on a service bulletin or a guide on how to get it out of wherever it is located?
I have a parts list I will look for on the www.ECStuning.com parts site. But I am stuck on this resistor. There is nothing on the internet anywhere on it.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:46 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Just saw your post, posted here for the blower resistor Kongfish:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...the-month.html