Old 08-16-2015, 09:26 PM
theblackfalcon
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Car & Driver JCW Review

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

-----------------------

So Long, Saab

Our first drive of the new JCW—which arrives as a late 2015 model—took place on the twisty rural roads between New Haven, Connecticut, and the privately owned Wilzig Racing Manor in West Taghkanic, New York, and the JCW’s newfound confidence was fully on display in every setting. A goosed version of the Cooper S’s turbocharged 2.0-liter four-banger with an impressive 228 horsepower hurls the JCW forward from a stop and keeps the power flowing up to about 5500 rpm (at which point, however, it drops off precipitously). Midrange pull is likewise outstanding, making passing tractors and slow-moving Saab station wagons—oft-encountered rolling roadblocks in this part of the country—a matter of flexing your right foot. And it sounds sweet, too, thanks to a low-back-pressure exhaust system with a larger-diameter intermediate pipe and unique internal geometry. An accessory exhaust system activated by a Bluetooth remote controller—that, oddly, attaches to your keychain—dials up the noise even further, to Fiat 500 Abarth–like boisterousness.

The JCW’s available six-speed automatic features Sport shift mapping and allows manual takeover with the steering-wheel paddles. As with most BMW Group automatics, it yields slightly quicker acceleration than its manual counterpart, shaving two tenths from the zero-to-60-mph acceleration time (5.9 seconds versus 6.1, per the factory). It features an addictive crackle on overrun and delivers delightful, rev-matched downshifts when the brake pedal is tapped. More in character with the JCW, of course, is the standard six-speed manual, which is blessed with a light, progressive clutch and, for the first time, automatic rev-matching during downshifts, ŕ la Chevrolet Corvette, BMW M3, and Nissan 370Z. While we pretty much default to stick shifts wherever they’re offered, we really wanted this manual to be better than it is. Shift action is merely okay, and the gates can be tough to find under pressure—say, when entering one of the blind corners of the Wilzig track.

Our time on the Wilzig course and a nearby autocross showed us that while the standard Sport suspension’s grip levels are generally high, the JCW will indeed still slide, usually nose-first. Fortunately, this seldom happens by surprise, as the chassis is in constant communication with the driver when equipped with the Dynamic Damper Control system, as were our test cars. This, we feel, is a particularly worthwhile $500 expenditure, adding a huge dose of tactility both through the chassis and the steering wheel when the toggle just at the base of the gearshift is nudged into Sport. On non-DCC-equipped cars, that action merely adds weight to the steering, sharpens the throttle response, and makes the exhaust noises blare a bit louder through the audio system’s speakers. Toggling to the right activates “Green” mode, which lightens the steering, retards throttle input, and lowers shift points, bringing the fun factor to somewhere marginally lower than a Cooper S. This is unlikely to be activated by very many JCW owners.

Poise, It Is Good

All that said, the JCW seemed happiest on the scenic, curving two-lanes that join one quaint Connecticut and New York town to another. A firm but well-mannered ride and unwavering on-center stability let us reach for high speeds on the long straights while the aforementioned brakes effortlessly scrubbed off speed as we set up for tight corners. The twitchiness of the prior JCWs has been all but eradicated, replaced by predictability and poise.

Indeed, the JCW gets closer than ever to the sublime, ready-for-anything nature of the larger and less powerful but generally flawless VW GTI, although with its starting price of a rather dear $31,450, the JCW is nearly $6K more than the base GTI. Load it up to the level of our test cars, whose bottom-line totals ranged from $37,850 to $41,800—that’s Golf R/Audi S3 money!—and the JCW starts to look and feel rather too cute to be taken seriously, no matter how refined and improved it may be. Keep it simple (cloth seats, manual transmission) and one can really make the case for one of these. But if you want all the goodies, you had better really love Minis.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:37 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Guess he's not to fond of manuals. This is the first article that didn't like the way the revised manual shifts. I'd heard before about the light progressive clutch, but from people that have actually a received their manual JCW, this review is a bit different, to the negative side.

I get rather tire of hearing about how this JCW is finally catching up with VW's GTI, but priced with the Golf R. I've driven a GTI, and it doesn't come all that close to the 2015 JCW that I drove. Acceleration one, and just the feel of the JCW. Getting to cost? I configured out a VW GTI with the Performance Package and the few options that are available (NAV isn't one of the) and it came out to over $34k. The JCW that I intend on ordering, if I don't opt for the Rebel Green, comes in at #34,750 and that is with the Wired Package that has NAV. So for me, they're pretty close in price. Sure, I could add more options but I don't feel I need them, or want them, but they are there for those that do want them. Not so on the VW GTI. You have to get the Autobahn and 4 doors to get that, then you're over my $35k JCW.

I'm not really a VW hater, or GTI one either, it's just that I think that they are over rated, boring and not all that cheap either. The Golf R could get my attention, but here we're in the $40k area, and still have to take 4 doors. The word out is that VW will send over some manual R's next year, but who knows how many dealers will actually accept them.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:33 PM
theblackfalcon
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with you. I have a friend that goes on and on about how great the GTI's are. I really don't want a 4 door car and pricing isn't all that great. I got dealer to order my 2016 at $1000 below MSRP with my options that put me about $35k. I then have USAA and loyalty credit which get me down to $33,500. I think the mini is a much better looking car and I've had nothing but good service and reliability on my 2011. The GTI's styling doesn't really appeal to me, especially in the 4 door form factor. For that matter I don't like the 4 door mini's either.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:38 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
When you get over $32-35k you're more influenced by the car's image than the 0-60 times and horsepower. and for my money the Mini's outside looks and interior looks beats the GTI hands down (especially the Coupe of course!). All the GTI interiors look the same.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:06 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm a two door guy, my wife has a RAV 4, so that takes care of the needing to transport people and things around. I've never had one ounce of trouble with my two Mini's that wasn't taken care of by my local dealer at once. By the way, I didn't buy my Mini's from this dealer, so it's not a customer thing, but a service to a Mini owner thing. I like how all the Mini's have looked, sure I'm not enamored with the catfish snout, but I'm thinking that some flat black paint just might change that appearance. It'll match the fender trim and lower side spoiler on the JCW.

As for VW, well I've beaten up on them quite a bit but I've looked at them, kind of seriously, but I can't get past the interior that everyone seems to think is fantastic. The dash screen looks cheap and small, the seats, in leather look nice on the seating part, but where it goes into vinyl, it looks it. I like the gauge/dash as well as the steering wheel. But then you get to the outside: It just looks plain. Sure, they're trying to keep the look from generation to generation, but I think that they go too far. Then the options: What options? You take their packages, or nothing. I'd like the NAV, but the only way to get that is with the Autobahn Package, which is 4-doors only. And if you think R Series it's the same thing, 4-doors and right now, no manual. They claim that it's coming after the first of the year, but I wouldn't hold my breath that any VW dealers will stock one. It's hard enough finding a manual regular GTI. Ok, ok, I'll quit the bashing. I, actually really wish that VW did have something that I'd like, as well as get better dealers that will actually take care of the customer. Not so here in central Iowa.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:49 AM
Blues Trucker
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont have a problem with VWs and I dont have a problem with 4 doors. I like 4 door trucks. I have a 4 door truck. (soon to be 4 sale I think)
But I grew up when 4 door cars were not cool. I dont like 4 door cars. I never have.
MINIs are one of the few cars you can get with 2 doors.
Another thing about MINIs.
I was specing out a new one on line yesterday just the way I liked it at a point I could afford and I was surprised how many things you could choose individually. Most manufacturers are package oriented now.
MINI is doing things more like they were done back in the days when cars were cool.
I dont know if any of my babbling makes sense to anyone........... I dont even know if it makes sense to me
But I dont necessarily agree with the conclusion of that article.