JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

How to tell if it's a JCW

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:57 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bora_azul
well i know for a fact that there is no sticker on the intake and the exhaust tips...

so from researching in here more, there are 3 different JCW packages? engine, suspension and brakes? what about cosmetically? Like i said, it has a "JCW CF dash" with the JCW logo on it and a shift **** with the design as well.

sorry about the questions, i want to understand what she bought since she bought it 2nd hand from a dealer with 20k miles 2 years ago.

It'll just help me in modding the car to know which exactly it is.

thanks again for your help, i appreciate it.
There are many JCW cosmetic accessories available. Go to one of the aftermarket vendors such as Mini Mania and do a search on JCW. Here is a link to the search I just performed.
http://new.minimania.com/Search_Inve...All&Search=jcw
Your 04 MCS is a R53 model.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:18 PM
Willy81
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

New Mini owner here. My wife are just about to purchase an 03 Cooper S that is advertised as having a 127kW (170HP) JCW kit. This has me confused, because from what I've read, the JCW kits are either 200HP or 210HP. It definately has a JCW exhaust tips, JCW sticker on airbox and intercooler surround, plus the sticker with serial number as shown on post #11. I'm just trying to figure out if it has the supercharger and head upgrade. Was there ever a Cooper S 'sound kit' that just had exhaust and air box? To be honest, the car didn't feel much faster than a standard Cooper S we drove earlier in the day. I rang the 2 Mini garages listed in the service book and neither of them knew about the JCW kit, so it's a bit of a mystery. Not overly concerned, it's just a bonus if it is a full JCW kit

Old 06-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Willy81
Neutral
Well, I'm away with work at the moment, but my wife has picked up the car and my brother checked it out for me. I am very happy to find out that it has the blue injectors and the cylinder head appears to be shiny and smoother than the factory cast head. So it looks like it has the full JCW kit. Very happy!

Anyone know how I can contact JCW UK to get a certificate from them. I've heard of people emailing them. Google only sends me to the Mini page in the UK with no direct contact to JCW themselves

Old 06-27-2010, 03:30 PM
WC50 408
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Willy81
Well, I'm away with work at the moment, but my wife has picked up the car and my brother checked it out for me. I am very happy to find out that it has the blue injectors and the cylinder head appears to be shiny and smoother than the factory cast head. So it looks like it has the full JCW kit. Very happy!

Anyone know how I can contact JCW UK to get a certificate from them. I've heard of people emailing them. Google only sends me to the Mini page in the UK with no direct contact to JCW themselves
If you check with your local Mini parts department they may be able to supply a certificate for you. When you talk to them have your JCW kit number available, it is on the JCW sticker/placque on the valve cover behind the intercolor.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:48 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Have the dealer run the VIN and they may be able to tell you what's been done.

For what it's worth, my 06 cabriolet with full JCW everything from engine to suspension and brakes to Aero and all carbon fiber goodies cost me 25,500 used with 12,000 miles on it. In perfect condition.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:07 PM
redhotchillipepper
1st Gear
I like to tell you. It took me three years just to get my. 06 R52 cov red. WOW went I took the S for a test drive. a few week later I went to another dealer and they told me the I had to place an order for what I want it. so he took me out on a test drive on a regular mc. as I pull out from the dealer soon he ask what was wrong, I ask him to tell me how to get back to the dealer. went we got back. I said thank you, sorry I waist it you time never look back at a regular mc and got the s what a different... sorry you none s driver .

Old 06-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Willy81
Neutral
Thanks guys. I actually rang the 2 dealers that are stamped in the service book and neither of them knew about the JCW kit. I'll have to call them with the JCW serial number when I get home in a weeks time.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:44 AM
perucho
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Bora_azul
hey, new here, just wondering if i could get some help....

my g/f has an 04 MCS ...but a guy at the dealer and her too, believe it to be a JCW...i've been searching and searching and was wondering if you coould either help me or point me in the direction i need...

i know that we could do a VIN look up and all but is there any other way to check if this 04 is a JCW?
It has a CF dash board with the JCW logo on it, but doesn't have a JCW stamped exhaust or intake...i'll check to see if there are the red springs someone mentioned earlier but i don't think it has a stiffer suspension than normal S models.....
Could it be that the previous owner just bought the CF dash to make it their own JCW version? I haven't really seen the dash anywhere....
she also has leather sport seats (boltsters are kinda small for me to consider sport but hey..it's what she was told )
the car also has 2 piece BBS wheels with anthracite centers (not BBS' i've seen on other mini's, but have a mini center cap, [i know you can buy such things, but still] ...it has jcw shift **** too...

i just want to be sure of what the car is before i start to really mod it....i was excited when i found that JCW had a CAI of their own and thought it was in the car but when i saw it was only used on 04+ and she didn't have it, i assumed it was 04.5+ ???

any help would be greatly appreciated ...i'm just getting into the mini thing since i'm a VW guy but this car is going to be my new toy and would like to know where me and my g/f stand with "monica" right now.

thanks
Sounds like she has an MC40. Is it red with red/black leather seats, white roof and no sunroof? Those came with the CF dash cover but not necessarily the JCW kit.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Bora_azul
Neutral
Originally Posted by perucho
Sounds like she has an MC40. Is it red with red/black leather seats, white roof and no sunroof? Those came with the CF dash cover but not necessarily the JCW kit.

yes thats exactly what we have... .it has the anthracite bbs (i believe) wheels.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:38 PM
martinb
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Usually, at the very least, a JCW car will have the JCW engine. (Kinda silly to put all the other JCW options on it and not get the engine package.)

So, if it doesn't say JCW on the engine, it probably isn't a JCW car.

Does it have red front calipers? Limited slip differential?

Old 02-13-2011, 02:14 PM
dcacc
1st Gear
Another confused (and novice) JCW owner here. Sorry if I'm repeating questions that have been answered, but I think my situation is slightly different.

I have an 03 S that has the JCW exhaust, aero body kit, JCW badge on the back bumper but not the front, JCW badge on the valve cover ... BUT it has the stock intake and stock intercooler cover and stock brakes. So I don't know if it has a JCW engine or just the exhaust and a few badges. The JCW badge in the engine compartment does have a JCW Kit No. on it.

Short of having the thing taken apart, how can I tell what I'm dealing with?

If it has the JCW engine tuning, what would that consist of -- being so early in the JCW era? It has 30,000 miles on it. I know stock Mini S plugs don't need to be changed often, but I hear JCW's do. Should I be changing the plugs, and if so, should I use the NGK plugs recommended for JCWs?

Again, sorry if I'm repeating other people's questions -- or just asking stupid questions. I'm still kind of new to all of this.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:29 PM
perucho
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dcacc
Another confused (and novice) JCW owner here. Sorry if I'm repeating questions that have been answered, but I think my situation is slightly different.

I have an 03 S that has the JCW exhaust, aero body kit, JCW badge on the back bumper but not the front, JCW badge on the valve cover ... BUT it has the stock intake and stock intercooler cover and stock brakes. So I don't know if it has a JCW engine or just the exhaust and a few badges. The JCW badge in the engine compartment does have a JCW Kit No. on it.

Short of having the thing taken apart, how can I tell what I'm dealing with?

If it has the JCW engine tuning, what would that consist of -- being so early in the JCW era? It has 30,000 miles on it. I know stock Mini S plugs don't need to be changed often, but I hear JCW's do. Should I be changing the plugs, and if so, should I use the NGK plugs recommended for JCWs?

Again, sorry if I'm repeating other people's questions -- or just asking stupid questions. I'm still kind of new to all of this.
In 03 the JCW engine package didn't include a different air box or larger injectors (or brakes or suspension for that matter). Since you have the valve cover plaque, it sounds like you do have the early JCW engine kit. The kit consisted of a different head, intecooler and pulley, spark plugs, exhaust, and remapped ECU. The previous owner may have sold the intercooler cover and the front badge. The aero kit is not part of the engine kit. Change you plugs using NGK BKR7EQUP.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:23 PM
dcacc
1st Gear
Thanks so much for your reply. If I want to boost the car's power, what would the best mods be? Does it make any sense to change the pulley or is the pulley that comes with the JCW kit the same thing?

Old 02-13-2011, 05:48 PM
perucho
2nd Gear
I replaced the JCW pulley with a 15% reduction pulley and it did make a difference. The JCW is approximately 11% smaller than the stock MCS pulley.

I suggest getting the Way Motor Works pulley kit, it comes with the correct plugs, belt, and tensioner stop. You also get a free rental of the pulley removal tool, and now they have the correct tool for the JCW pulleys. I did mine before they had the right puller and it was a pita.

I also got the Alta CAI and the supercharger whine is addicting. Definitely adds to the fun factor.