JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 1st Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

JCW exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 12:40 PM
mobygjc
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW exhaust

Question about the JWC exhaust, is it good??? any draw back that anybody has heard or seen? Thanks for all the info

Old 08-07-2003, 12:57 PM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you mean the JCW exhaust?

Old 08-07-2003, 01:20 PM
OpusMini
4th Gear
I can say that when I drove one I found the exhaust to be very unobtrusive and pleasant. Reviews of the JCW are guessing but they peg the power advantage as nominal a bit less than a regular Borla exhaust somewhere between 3-5 hp improvement over stock.

Old 08-07-2003, 01:43 PM
mobygjc
3rd Gear
Only a little bit over improvement stock......as normal as borla exhaust.... This does not sound good to me. Won't I be better off to have like quicksilver exhaust??? or is the average on upgrade exhaust 3-5 hp? Another question I had was, With the JWC kit, I was going to add a Quicksilver or London Headers, now if I do this will the JWC exhaust handel this?? I don't want my exhaust to heat up so much that it begins to warp or do other under damage, because of flow problems, Thank you for all the info guyz.

I am the Question Man!

Old 08-07-2003, 02:52 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
The JCW kit exhaust (looks great in my opinion) is not so loud (in tune with the standard Borla for the MCS) probably gives slightly increased HP (est less than 6 HP) and should work fine with the London Stainless exhaust header upgrade.

As far as exhausts for the MCS goes there are many options that might be better than the JCW kit exhaust but the whole point of the kit is to stay within warranty and get the WHOLE upgrade kit. The kit's exhaust is just along for the ride so to speak-it's the other components of the upgrade that make the additional power.

Old 08-07-2003, 03:00 PM
bbt4
3rd Gear
i agree minihune; the JCW exhaust is the best looking one.
i hope they (MINI) release it as an option.

bbt4

Old 08-07-2003, 03:06 PM
Moorlockx
6th Gear
>>The kit's exhaust is just along for the ride so to speak-it's the other components of the upgrade that make the additional power.<<

But couldn't a more freeflow exhaust design help make more power? and doesn't the JCW kit use the stock airbox?.....if so, then both of these are poor choices for a so-called performance kit.

I've heard the JCW exhaust and to me, it actually sounds a little quieter than the Borla. The sound doesn't come on until you get into the higher revs.

Old 08-07-2003, 03:18 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
If the JCW kit exhaust sounds less loud than the regular borla then that is great because the borla was one of the most quiet exhaust options for the MCS. There isn't anything wrong with a quiet exhaust- except if you want to have a louder exhaust. HP gains tend to be on the modest side with the quieter exhausts.

Yes a better straighter free flow design would make more power and yes a better cold air intake would also help but this is not the aim of the JCW kit maybe. They have to look at their audience and figure out what combination of upgrades to offer.
Everything is designed with a certain balance in mind.

I don't know if I could call the intake and exhaust "poor choices" as I would be second guessing the intent of JCW. Why don't you email or call them and ask them why they did not do more. Maybe they are leaving room for improvement?

Old 08-07-2003, 06:15 PM
red03miniS
Banned
is it possible to buy jcw tips?

Old 08-08-2003, 07:30 AM
marksmith
3rd Gear
-JWC exhaust is fabricated for Cooper by Supersprint in Italy (or so says a BMW tech person at Mini HQ.)
-JWC exhaust can be installed w/o a center resonator using a Supersprint straight pipe w/ flange provide by Promini) for a clean looking system(it will be a meaner sounding exhaust & MAY create a marginal gain the low-end torque.)
-I will be installing the Supersprint headers w/ the JWC exhaust next week & will report back. Very straight-forward install.
FYI: My impression of the JWC exhaust after 3000 miles is very positive: The tone has deepened a bit, sounds great w/ the backseat folded down & is quite agressive from the outside (parking garage test & drive-bys.) Before the Works kit install I ran a Supersprint exhaust (sans center resonator) & I can not tell much if any difference in performance other than the subdued sound.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:31 AM
marksmith
3rd Gear
-JCW exhaust is fabricated for Cooper by Supersprint in Italy (or so says a BMW tech person at Mini HQ.)
-JCW exhaust can be installed w/o a center resonator using a Supersprint straight pipe w/ flange provide by Promini) for a clean looking system(it will be a meaner sounding exhaust & MAY create a marginal gain the low-end torque.)
-I will be installing the Supersprint headers w/ the JCW exhaust next week & will report back. Very straight-forward install.
FYI: My impression of the JCW exhaust after 3000 miles is very positive: The tone has deepened a bit, sounds great w/ the backseat folded down & is quite agressive from the outside (parking garage test & drive-bys.) Before the Works kit install I ran a Supersprint exhaust (sans center resonator) & I can not tell much if any difference in performance other than the subdued sound.

Old 08-08-2003, 08:19 AM
mobygjc
3rd Gear
ty guyz, thanks for the info. 1 more question, if I wanted to go with a exhaust system that pushes alot of HP and I don't care about noise, which one would be the best on the market, Including HEADER setup too. I might just get the JWC kit, and replace the exhaust with a completely diffrent Exhaust system. Unless the aveage exhaust sytem only make just as much as the JWC exhaust.