R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Factory JCW Exhaust Fitment on MCS

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 04:26 AM
ASRman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory JCW Exhaust Fitment on MCS

Hi guys

Sorry to make a new thread on such a popular topic but I couldn't seem to find much relating directly to my specific issues.

Basically I had the factory JCW exhaust (just the mufflers) installed yesterday at a local shop. The exhaust sounds amazing and is a LOT louder than stock on my 2012 S I just have two issues in particular that I would like somebody to shed some light on:

1. When I took into the shop (well known/reputable exhaust company) I asked what would be better welding or using the 55mm clamp that I got with the kit. Although the technician said that welding is obviously more permanent he was of the view that the 55mm BMW clamp was very good and should last. He clamped the exhaust on no problem but I still have some concerns since the JCW pipe and existing stock pipe are the same diameter so don't just slip over each other when clamping them down, it more of a line them up together put down some paste then clamp up. Seems to me there is a higher risk of leaking/coming loose due to this.

2. When the exhaust was first clamped up i noticed the right tip extended further out than the left, i.e. not properly aligned. I mentioned this to the technician and he un-clamped the exhaust and realigned. It is much better now but still not 100% even with the right tip extended ever so slightly further out. Not a big deal but just wanted to know if this was normal fitment for the JCW exhaust.

Thanks guys and would much appreciate some insight into this

Old 08-05-2015, 04:41 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Nearly every aftermarket exhaust use the 55 mm clamps. They are intended to be a butt connection and should last for ever. No need to worry about it.

The tips are easily adjustable, either take it back and have them do it or do it yourself, don't just live with it.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:21 AM
ASRman
Neutral
Thanks cerenkov

After researching further into band clamps it seems they are very durable and certainly a viable alternative to welding.

The tips are only very slightly off (and I mean only VERY slightly - only I would notice it). From all angles apart from a birds eye view of the exhaust it is lined up perfectly - But when looking directly down at the tips the right tip extends further out VERY slightly (given I am probably being overly **** about this lol).

- I wonder if any other MCS owners who have installed the FJCW exhaust could chime in with regards to their fitment

Edit this is not my exhaust or car but after looking through youtube videos I have noticed a few cars with this issue - It looks like this:

Last edited by ASRman; 08-05-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:55 PM
minivinnie92
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible (I'm not sure haven't looked at a jcw exhaust ) but the mcs I know u can remove the tips with just a set screw can u loosen a set screw line the tips up and tighten without removing exhaust

Old 08-05-2015, 06:37 PM
ayypeeemm
2nd Gear

Mine lines up perfectly.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:03 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've run mine since 2012, installed at 4 miles. Now at 75,000. No leaks or loosening of the big clamp.

My tips were aligned properly, but at 20xxx miles I noticed that one had loosened, and was starting to slip off. Fixed in 5 minutes with the appropriate sized wrench, nothing special.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:33 AM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
I have the fJCW exhaust on my MCS and the tips are symmetric, no imbalance. But if that video you linked is what your exhaust tips look like, that's not the factory JCW exhaust - it's the JCW tuning kit exhaust. Those tips, I think, are removable/adjustable but the fJCWs are not, you'd have to adjust the whole backbox section.