Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior R56 roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 11:56 AM
dstock
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 roof rack

Has anyone purchased the new roof rack for the R56? I'm interested in seeing how the new clamp on mount works since the pic in the manual doesn't seem to match what we have seen on the R56 rooflines.
TIA

-Dave

Old 03-02-2007, 09:33 PM
pray4dirt
2nd Gear
clamp

i am also very eager to hear from someone who has seen the new racks with clamps. i have checked at 2 different dealers and not a single MA knew anything about the new clamps nor could they find the clamp site on the roof line.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:41 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
I saw 1 slot on each side in the gutter over the doors. They were about eqaul to the size of a quarter slot in a veding machine but slightly thinner. I did not see slots near the back.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:50 PM
pray4dirt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by designerMINI
I saw 1 slot on each side in the gutter over the doors. They were about eqaul to the size of a quarter slot in a veding machine but slightly thinner. I did not see slots near the back.
were the slots on the roof line or is it between the frame and door seal
thanks

Old 03-02-2007, 10:19 PM
designerMINI
5th Gear
The R56 has a rain gutter. Don't know the auto term, but it's an old fashion channel that runs the length of the roof above the door on the roofline that is something like 3/8" deep and about the same or 1/2" in width.

Attached Thumbnails R56 roof rack-gutter.jpg  
Old 03-06-2007, 07:13 PM
xof711
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pray4dirt
i am also very eager to hear from someone who has seen the new racks with clamps. i have checked at 2 different dealers and not a single MA knew anything about the new clamps nor could they find the clamp site on the roof line.
Same here, esp. with the moon-roof!

Old 03-06-2007, 07:22 PM
dstock
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by xof711
Same here, esp. with the moon-roof!
Just for the record, my MA was told by a Mini rep they are in fact clamp on style. My guess from what we've seen in the manual is the front bar has clamps that utilize the slots, probably due to the front window, weatherstripping etc, and the back perhaps does not need the slots since the windows are fixed and they clamp to the "rain gutter" like traditional roof racks.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:06 PM
pray4dirt
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dstock
Just for the record, my MA was told by a Mini rep they are in fact clamp on style. My guess from what we've seen in the manual is the front bar has clamps that utilize the slots, probably due to the front window, weatherstripping etc, and the back perhaps does not need the slots since the windows are fixed and they clamp to the "rain gutter" like traditional roof racks.
this is disappointing to here. i was hoping for something similar to the bmw 3 series which have slits on the roofs. this way therack never has to touch the body or gutter.
i've seen the gutter on the R56 and they seem too soft to withstand the weight that is going to be applied

Old 03-08-2007, 12:24 PM
dstock
2nd Gear
A little more info with picture here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...71&hg=82&fg=51

Old 03-09-2007, 07:29 PM
xof711
2nd Gear
A little more info with picture here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...71&hg=82&fg=51
Thanks for the link!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:01 AM
dstock
2nd Gear
New info on Motoringfile for those interested in the roof rack:

http://motoringfile.com/2007/03/23/o...roof-rack-pdf/

Old 03-23-2007, 11:40 AM
pray4dirt
2nd Gear
New info on Motoringfile for those interested in the roof rack:

http://motoringfile.com/2007/03/23/o...roof-rack-pdf/
thanks dstock,
do you know if this rack is made by Thule? i would like to get a Thule fork mount bike rack. not sure if it will work with this system. i don't like the mini bike rack. my r56 is due in mid/late may so i am trying to get things ready. please post pics if you get one before i do.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:45 AM
dstock
2nd Gear
thanks dstock,
do you know if this rack is made by Thule? i would like to get a Thule fork mount bike rack. not sure if it will work with this system. i don't like the mini bike rack. my r56 is due in mid/late may so i am trying to get things ready. please post pics if you get one before i do.
I should have my Mini first week of April and will probably order the rack then. I'll see what I can find out and let you know. I still don't totally understand where the "caps" go but will make much more sense I'm sure when I get my Mini.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:18 PM
z3bum
5th Gear
Nice. Thanks. Morristown MINI has the base unit for $188. One would have to pay shipping, but no tax if not in NJ

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...egoryID=102875

Old 03-23-2007, 01:41 PM
dstock
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by z3bum
Nice. Thanks. Morristown MINI has the base unit for $188. One would have to pay shipping, but no tax if not in NJ

Thanks for the tip!

Old 03-23-2007, 05:12 PM
cymrusteve
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by z3bum

So, is this a dealer install or easy enough to install yourself (no drilling required as I understand from the official PDF: http://www.motoringfile.com/files/R5...f_rack_R56.PDF

Just curious. On the Morristown MINI site it says "With installation performed by your MINI dealer".....

Thanks,

Steve

Old 03-23-2007, 05:30 PM
dstock
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cymrusteve
So, is this a dealer install or easy enough to install yourself (no drilling required as I understand from the official PDF: http://www.motoringfile.com/files/R5...f_rack_R56.PDF

Just curious. On the Morristown MINI site it says "With installation performed by your MINI dealer".....

Thanks,

Steve
I can't imagine it's that tough to do from looking at the instructions, I will post my findings once I get it.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
So, is this a dealer install or easy enough to install yourself
For sure a diy!

Old 03-23-2007, 08:59 PM
pray4dirt
2nd Gear

Thanks,

Steve
i have already inquired into this. both dealers that i have sple to have told me that the dealer would have to "prep" the car. no one would tell be what that would involve except delear cost.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
i have already inquired into this. both dealers that i have sple to have told me that the dealer would have to "prep" the car. no one would tell be what that would involve except delear cost.
Looks like the only dealer prep would be pulling the cut outs (pg 16).

Did you visit the dealers service dept? They might give you a different answer.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:41 PM
pray4dirt
2nd Gear
I should have my Mini first week of April and will probably order the rack then. I'll see what I can find out and let you know. I still don't totally understand where the "caps" go but will make much more sense I'm sure when I get my Mini.
dstock,
No pressure. post your mini and roof rack.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:32 AM
JohnnyF
4th Gear
thanks dstock,
I don't believe Thule makes it, as their US product manager mentioned they were off to the NY auto show to examine the R56 to check out roof rack options (not sure why they haven't been able to get to a dealer or previous auto show). They're currently operating under the assumption that their existing setup for the R53 will work but said they could probably have a new setup by July if they need to make changes.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:09 PM
dstock
2nd Gear
dstock,
No pressure. post your mini and roof rack.
LOL

I've got to get my hands on the rack, but have been tied up with other things unfortunetly. I will post howwever when I have it. I can see the little cutouts on my mini and seems like a very straight forward install.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:23 PM
pray4dirt
2nd Gear
LOL

I've got to get my hands on the rack, but have been tied up with other things unfortunetly. I will post howwever when I have it. I can see the little cutouts on my mini and seems like a very straight forward install.
dstock,
minimaximini has posted his mini with the new roof rack. it looks great. he also gave some very helpful advice on self installation.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...=93550&page=10

Old 04-12-2007, 03:47 PM
minimaximini
3rd Gear
Sorry - was working

So:

- the roof rack is with a gutter. I can measure it at home. On the other side it comes with a rubber cap - that fills that gutter so it doesn't rain or collect dirt - you can cut the rubber strip at your desire to fill the gaps between the items on the roof rack;
- I received yesterday the touring bike mount. VERY sturdy. It slides in the gutter and it can be fixed with three screws/sliders - two in front - one in the back). I can take pictures of it this weekend (didn't mount it on the roof rack yet). But one thing - I will not unmount the rack to show the jaws. I cursed those jaws too much when installing them and I hate taking them off - so - sorry - no pictures. But I can make a drawing...
- you can put (at least Yakima) components on the rack. I tried the Yakima PowerHound (ski support) and it accepts round and eliptical crossbars. I can measure the bars (this weekend again) to give you rthe dimensions - they are closer to eliptical rather than rectangular in section - or a rectangle with very smooth edges, whatever;
- the setup is DYI (+someone else). I gave full info on the other thread - but basically it is removing the (barely) precut/stamped rubber hood spots (with a tweezer you pinch the edhes), clean the edges very very nicely (with an Xacto knife - not mandatory - but it helps), unlock the lateral panels (with the MINI inscription), partially unscrew the washer/nut/colar/nut ensemble - easier to understand when you see it - again I can make a drawing) until the jaws pivot so you can slip them thru the stamped rubber holes deep in MINI's roof, then screw the nuts back pressing ON TOP of the jaws so they can pivot in th eholes and offer solid grip/bite on the hood. Careful to see how the rack is positiones - took me several attempts - but it is simple: the position labels (under the left pillars) are on the DRIVER side - and there is one for the back and one for the front. They will not fit otherwise.
- USE TOWELS to wrap the pillars otherwise you will scratch the roof. I did a minor scratch on mine (covered by the pillar though).
- buy them from Morristown MINI or Classic mINI (whichever is closer from you). I bought them from Classic - they were fast (about 6 days) and the shippin was reasonable. No - I am just a happy customer - no advertizing. The base roof rack was 188$ (both offer 20% off for NAM and no tax - and shipping was somewhere around 15-18$ - big box); Certainly I wouldn't buy them from the local dealer that gives you full MSRP and tax. And installation fee.
- today it was rainy and windy and yes - there was some noise from the rack even at lower speed. In non-windy days - you can hear a whistling sound at 60-65 mph. BUt I listen to music anyhow...

Again - I'll be more than happy to answer any question - and even take pictures if people need it - but sometimes this weekend (very busy during the week).

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior R56 roof rack