How To Drivetrain :: Operation Vacuum Gain System (VGS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 05:43 PM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone feel the butterfly open or close at 5 in-Hg?

Old 06-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Detonics
3rd Gear
I'll check the hoses in a while and will let you know the outcome. It should be a problem there since I already check it yesterday. Maybe the sizes of the T might causes this?

Btw, What is this thing in red. It seems to have a "screw" at the end of it to make adjustment. What is it for?

Attached Thumbnails Drivetrain :: Operation Vacuum Gain System (VGS)-boostgaugetapw.jpg  
Old 06-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's the fuel rail.

Originally Posted by Detonics
I'll check the hoses in a while and will let you know the outcome. It should be a problem there since I already check it yesterday. Maybe the sizes of the T might causes this?

Btw, What is this thing in red. It seems to have a "screw" at the end of it to make adjustment. What is it for?
The fuel injectors and pressure regulator are attached. The cap on the end is for a pressure guage for diagnostics.

Matt

Old 06-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Detonics
3rd Gear
Dr obnxs,
Thanks for the reply. I guess that has nothing to do with my problem isnt it. I've check the hoses but all seems to be fine. I'll take the car for a drive to see if there is any improvement....

Old 06-28-2005, 10:29 PM
crazyaboutmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by obehave
I have both. Have had for a couple weeks ( the catch can is newer).
No issues.
thanx obehave, i actually wouldn't know how to hook a catch can so i thought it would go into the same lines and affect the VGS "effect." well that settles my question

Old 06-29-2005, 05:06 AM
synergy1
2nd Gear
FYI, in the midst on doing and trying to fix a number of other things we put this mod in place. For the first time ever in my two years of owning my car I do not feel the yo-yo nor am I able to reproduce it. Three dollars in parts plus an hour or so if you remove the IC. Well worth it. (btw)the drawing showing the before and after made it all very clear.

Bob

Old 06-29-2005, 05:42 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by crazyaboutmini
thanx obehave, i actually wouldn't know how to hook a catch can so i thought it would go into the same lines and affect the VGS "effect." well that settles my question
Totally different lines. The catch can is in line serially with the PCV vent hose.
An easy mod. Actually works pretty good. TBH I wasn't too sure about it.

Old 06-29-2005, 06:33 AM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
Ist es wegen der Alta IS, das den Übergang zwischen der Erhöhung und VAC bilden, die so notiacible sind? Ich möchte gerade den wissen, wenn jemand anderes dieses beachtet hat?

Old 06-29-2005, 07:10 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MyPocketRocket
Ist es wegen der Alta IS, das den Übergang zwischen der Erhöhung und VAC bilden, die so notiacible sind? Ich möchte gerade den wissen, wenn jemand anderes dieses beachtet hat?
Sprechen Sie English bitte.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:22 AM
webstrands
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MyPocketRocket
Translation via Google Language Tools...

Is it because of the Alta IS, which form the transition between the increase and VAC, which are so notiacible? I would like to know straight, if somebody else considered this?

Old 06-29-2005, 07:23 AM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
ja aber, als ich auf englisch um um keine bat, scheinen Sie interessiert zu werden.

Do I need to adjust the butterfly to eliminate the transition between vac and boost?

I can feel the transition without VGS at 5 psi boost, but now with VAG I can feel the transition at 5 in-Hg...any thought?

thank you!

Old 06-29-2005, 05:37 PM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
Old 07-20-2005, 09:08 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
An Interesting JCW Intake Consideration...

For those considering the VGS modification to an MCS equipped with the JCW Intake...

This morning I was investigating my plumbing around the BPV and noticed that for my JCW Intake installation, MINI installed a "Y" connector in the hose that runs from the BPV throat (brass) fitting to the diaphram (black) fitting. The new hose then routes to the JCW Intake to provide vacuum for actuating the "flap" in the intake at 4500 rpm.

I think this just made my plumbing job easier but I need to do a little more investigation.

Cautiously optimistic,

Theo

Old 07-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
No Problem with JCW Intake

I just converted the BPV to VGS operation on a MINI equipped with the JCW intake. It tested fine and both driveability improved and the vacuum-powered intake flap operation was unaffected.

Here are some comments regarding the installation:

1. The T-fitting at the FPR is the same; very straight-forward.
2. The new line running from the FPR T-fitting to the BPV should be connected to the Y-fitting that has been inserted in BPV vacuum hose by the JCW Intake install.
3. Cap-off the short section of the hose running from the bottom of the Y-fitting to the brass BPV nipple (throat).

Note that since the hose that needs to be capped-off is quite a bit shorter that the stock hose, access to it is rather tight and will require some care so as not to lose the cap in the nether-reaches of the engine bay.

Here is the diagram of a stock BPv without the JCW Intake:

Here is the diagram of the stock BPV with the JCW Intake installation:

And, finally, here is the VGS-modified BPV with the JCW Intake installation:

Hope this helps.

Theo

Old 07-20-2005, 08:27 PM
BFG9000
5th Gear
I also have the JCW box with VGS, but I hooked the box up to the vacuum line that is normally plugged with VGS because I figured that providing the JCW box with boost would probably not be useful (there's a vacuum motor in there to run the flap). As it is the only thing connected to the original vacuum source, no tee is necessary there.

Old 07-21-2005, 06:51 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That definitely sounds like the cleanest install, no cap needed and you can use the tee from the JCW intake for the FPR line.

Originally Posted by BFG9000
I also have the JCW box with VGS, but I hooked the box up to the vacuum line that is normally plugged with VGS because I figured that providing the JCW box with boost would probably not be useful (there's a vacuum motor in there to run the flap). As it is the only thing connected to the original vacuum source, no tee is necessary there.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:19 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BFG9000
Ah Ha! That was my original plan but...

1) the vacuum line coming from the JCW Intake wasn't long enough to reach the brass nipple;
2) I did not have enough left-over vacuum hose to run a new length;
3) my porky hands couldn't get under the BPV to remove/insert a vacuum line!

So, if you are going to do the VGS modification of a JCW Intake engine, buy enough vacuum hose (6ft ought to do it) to hook things up as BFG9000 suggests.

Theo

Old 07-24-2005, 11:53 AM
inimmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
installed VGS

I installed the VGS on my '05 MCS this morning. Never had a severe yo-yo problem, just kind a of hiccup or stutter around 3000 rpm. I was curious to see if the VGS would eliminate this, and it did . Gave it a thorough testing under light to mid throttle around 3000 rpm, and it is really nice to feel only smooth power in this often-used part of the band. Other than this, can't say the car drives any differently.

Reaching the vacuum line on the intake manifold seemed really difficult, so I pulled off the IC and went with the FPR attachment route. No problems at all, until I tried to put the IC back on. Probably, some one has posted this before, but I found that by taking out one of the bolts on each of the front IC mounting brackets and rotating them out of the way, the IC goes back on much more easily:

Old 08-13-2005, 03:02 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by inimmini
I installed the VGS on my '05 MCS this morning. Never had a severe yo-yo problem, just kind a of hiccup or stutter around 3000 rpm. I was curious to see if the VGS would eliminate this, and it did . Gave it a thorough testing under light to mid throttle around 3000 rpm, and it is really nice to feel only smooth power in this often-used part of the band. Other than this, can't say the ...car drives any differently.

Reaching the vacuum line on the intake manifold seemed really difficult, so I pulled off the IC and went with the FPR attachment route. No problems at all, until I tried to put the IC back on. Probably, some one has posted this before, but I found that by taking out one of the bolts on each of the front IC mounting brackets and rotating them out of the way, the IC goes back on much more easily:
I did the samething with the lower brackets.....I cant tell much of a difference besides when getting off the throttle and the car falling on its face with those sloppy motor mounts. Def need to fix these mounts some how even more than b4.

As for people saying there having a hard time gettin the line onto the BPV....I used a set of needle nose to hold the line there from the backside which theres more room to grab the hose while u push it on with the pliers from the front. And for people with "fat fingers" like myself...When you try getting the line onto the FPR , i slide the hose down the back side and grabbed it from front holding it with both hands ( my finger tips ) to slide it back up onto the nipple on the FPR. I dont know how anyone is trying the fitting at the far end of the Intake, b/c thats ALOT harder to get a hold of at all IMO.

Old 08-14-2005, 04:55 AM
Profpatpending
3rd Gear
anybody care to elaborate on the following statement,

BTW this statement aint mine,
here is where I got it from,
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=48792

"I wouldn't mess about with tying it shut all the time, beefing up the spring or doing the VGS mod which seems to keep the supercharger in action more than it would with the mod absent. This can run the charger much hotter in my experience (expensive mistake following a it's failure!)."

whats the chance this can lead to SC failure????

Old 08-14-2005, 06:26 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Profpatpending

"I wouldn't mess about with tying it shut all the time, beefing up the spring or doing the VGS mod which seems to keep the supercharger in action more than it would with the mod absent. This can run the charger much hotter in my experience (expensive mistake following a it's failure!)."

Perhaps a more "tech-savvy" person should comment, but it seems to me that the effects of the VGS are:

1. the SC BPV is closed more often;
2. initially higher IATs may be found when the BPV closes (at the new lower rpms/speeds) as the volume of air over the IC is being generated from reduced vehicle speed;

I might point out that, as far as I know, the SC is "in action" all the time. It is the BPV that is directly affected by the VGS.

Am I missing something here?

Theo

Old 08-14-2005, 07:21 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Well i dont know about everyone else saying things about better gas milage ( 1-2 miles more ) but i went for a ride to my friends place out near the Hamptons which is like 30mins and filled up when i got there. Later on the way back on the LIE i was on half a tank ( only put alil in ) a G35 came up on me and we started playin alil and he was all pissed he couldnt shake me.....so it was of to DPA ( Deer Park Ave ) which is one of the biggest hang outs of car nutz in the tri-state area. I went for a few runs taking out a MKII and a Vr6 Jetta ( which are both nothing really ) and then proceeded home. This all took place within in a half hour or so time since i had the half a tank.... Pulled in the driveway and looked the gauge and it was now ...reading right below 1/4 tank when the warning starts to flash ( low fuel level) .

Now ....im noticing the gas being sucked right outta my c...ar ....is anyone else getting this from the VGS or is it in my head cuz i was buzzed alil???

Old 08-14-2005, 07:38 AM
XTREEM
2nd Gear
Didnt make any difference to my economy.

Old 08-14-2005, 07:52 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The supercharger creates very little heat at low absolute pressure readings. It's only when boost is above 8 psi or so that you see temp increases become really significant. The VGS mod has no effect on this range compared to stock. I'd wonder if the poster has actually monitored air temperature coming out of the supercharger.

Originally Posted by Profpatpending

Old 08-14-2005, 08:04 AM
inimmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XTREEM
Didnt make any difference to my economy.
My fuel consumption has also stayed the same before and after the VGS.

Quick Reply: How To Drivetrain :: Operation Vacuum Gain System (VGS)