How To Drivetrain :: Operation Vacuum Gain System (VGS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 12:07 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just follow the instructions in the first post.

Old 09-30-2005, 11:42 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Simple...

Originally Posted by husker1
I get the stumble everytime I accelerate until it warms up. Any ideas on how to solve this? Thanks.
Let the car warm up before driving off!

Matt

Old 10-07-2005, 04:51 AM
mellow
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BFG9000
I also have the JCW box with VGS, but I hooked the box up to the vacuum line that is normally plugged with VGS because I figured that providing the JCW box with boost would probably not be useful (there's a vacuum motor in there to run the flap). As it is the only thing connected to the original vacuum source, no tee is necessary there.
I too have a JCW MCS and found the diagram posted by Koopah very helpful then this post came right after and must say I'm a little confused as to what line get hooked where.

Can someone provide a diagram of this hookup? Koopah, have you modified your connections to this method?

I plan on performing this mod today if I can get a pictorial.

Thanks..and thanks to Andy for his initial research and post.

Old 10-07-2005, 07:04 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
It would be great if the Board edited this thread and posted it as a "how to" project.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:27 AM
mellow
2nd Gear
Are we talking '05 JCW MCS? I'm looking at my '04 JCW MCS and I don't see a Y connector anywhere...unless it's hiding underneath?

Standing in front of my MINI with the bonnet up just waiting for a reply so I can start this mod...

Old 10-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mellow
...Koopah, have you modified your connections to this method?...
Nope. I've been happy with the way things are running now so I daren't fiddle with anything!

Originally Posted by mellow
...Are we talking '05 JCW MCS? I'm looking at my '04 JCW MCS and I don't see a Y connector anywhere...unless it's hiding underneath?
It will only be there if you have the JCW airbox fitted. The "Y" should not be more that 2" to 3" from the bypass valve. You may need to look a bit to find it.

Theo

Old 10-07-2005, 12:54 PM
mellow
2nd Gear
Thanks Koopah,

I just got back in from installing the mod. I decided that it must be for the JCW airbox, as you stated, which I don't have. I have an Alta CAI.

Anyway the install went without a hitch. Thank goodness for the 45 degree 11" pliers! I really can't see how anyone can get their hands in to get the BPV connection.

Isn't it funny how we get used to things. With this mod I can now remember how my other manual trans cars felt on take off. No more studder or hesitation just the feeling of let's go! I now realize how aggrevating the stumble/clutch work/gas pedal manipulation was!

Thanks Andy!!!

Old 10-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
welcome to the club!

Mines been on for months and months......

Matt

Old 10-08-2005, 08:22 PM
RallyMINI2005
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just finished my VGS install, very nice!

So I've had the urge to mod SOMETHING on my MINI recently, and this looked like the best bang-per-buck mod around. I read over this thread VERY carefully, and decided to give it a try!

As folks have stated, I found it necessary to remove the IC to perform the install, and for me, reinstalling it at the end was the hardest part of the whole deal. I did take someones advice and get a pair of curved-jaw needle nose pliers, which made the hose-removal process very easy!

As for driving impressions, well, its raining cats and dogs outside, so I can't comment much about power (except traction control is a good thing!), but low speed driveability is DEFINITELY improved! I have an ALTA CAI and 15% pulley, and this has really done what I hoped those two mods would do!
I have a long trip planned for tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes, but there are lots of nice winding roads with new pavement to play on, so I'll post if there are any ill effects!

Thanks again Andy, VERY NICE JOB!

RM2k5

Old 10-09-2005, 05:46 AM
mellow
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI2005
As folks have stated, I found it necessary to remove the IC to perform the install, and for me, reinstalling it at the end was the hardest part of the whole deal.
RM2k5
I've found the easiest way to replace the IC is to remove the left bracket that is used to hold the IC and cover down. Removing the 2 8mm bolts and bracket will make all the difference in the world when reinstalling the IC.

Old 10-09-2005, 07:23 PM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
I installed the VGS mod on my JCW airbox equiped 05 MCS on Friday evening and after 600 miles of pretty hard driving I'm not convinced it's doing anything. My car still stumbles, yo-yo's - whatever it's called - between 2800-3800 rpm. I think I installed it properly, everything seems to operate fine. I hope I have no vacuum leaks; I do have a new noise coming from the engine bay, sounds like a louder intake or supercharger, when using the throttle, can't quite define this. Would this mod, the JCW airbox method, cause the airbox to be open all the time instead of opening at 4500 rpm?

What would a vacuum leak exactly sound and result in? Thanks.

Old 10-10-2005, 05:01 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Sounds like the vacuum hose slipped off the FPR. Check there first and fix with a pre-tensioned tie wrap on the vacuum hose prior to refitting.

Also check the airbox "Y".

Theo

Old 10-10-2005, 06:38 AM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
a quick visual check with the flashlight, without removing the IC, tells me that everything is still in place, on both ends. I will do a more thorough check this evening, probably will remove the IC for this to make sure.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:10 AM
XTREEM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cooldaddy
a quick visual check with the flashlight, without removing the IC, tells me that everything is still in place, on both ends. I will do a more thorough check this evening, probably will remove the IC for this to make sure.
Make sure your intercooler boots are on correctly! sounds like a boost leak.

John.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:13 AM
cooldaddy
5th Gear
if so it must be very minor because I didn't have any problems keeping up with my MINI friends yesterday

but I will check them for sure

Originally Posted by XTREEM
Make sure your intercooler boots are on correctly! sounds like a boost leak.

John.

Old 10-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Just wanted to post an update. It has been 4 months and 4,000 smiles since the install on my '02 MCS and everything is running great. Having discussed the install and the change in the nature of the engine preformance with my MA at an "un-named dealership" he installed it on his MCS with similar results. He is estattic over the change.

I think that my average fuel mileage has actually increased. Prior to the install I was averaging 25 - 27 mpg on the OBC, now I am averaging 28 - 29 mpg with no changes in driving patterns. The hand calculated averages have increased similarly.

The drivability has remained much improved from before the VGS install. Could not be happier. Thanks again for all you work.

Now I'll just have to wait to see if I need to install it on my soon to arrive '06 MCS.

Old 10-10-2005, 03:17 PM
rough68fish
3rd Gear
Add me to the list of satisfied customers.

I did the mod this morning and put in a boost guage at the same time. I routed the vacuum lines a little differently; I put a tee below the FPR and hooked the factory line to it and I put a tee right beside the valve to hook the boost guage to.

I had to take the left rear IC mount off to get my hand in there. It's pretty cool one of the holes in the mount (bottom right) is threaded so you don't have to worry about dropping the bolt when trying to put it back on, the bottom left would have been even better.

Anyway, before doing the VGS mod, I had yo-yo'ing between 3000 - 4000 rpm at light throttle but now it is almost entirely gone.

Thank you very much Andy how do you figure the stuff out

--Sean

Old 10-14-2005, 05:28 AM
L8RG8R
2nd Gear
Another happy customer

I performed the VGS mod this morning (so I had to substitute coffee for beer) and am pleased to say it has definitely smooted out my ride. I also swapped out the TB back to stock (had an M7). All in all I spent less than one hour for the whole change (and I have tiny hands so I did not need the pliers ). Thanks, Andy!

PS- removing the intercooler bracket on the lower left made all the difference in the world when reinstalling.

Old 10-17-2005, 10:33 AM
mpwald05
2nd Gear
VGS for 05 MCSa

Andy,

I have an 05 MCSa with these mods on the motor: 15% pulley, Alta CAI, Magna Flow exhaust. There are few more vacuum lines than the six-speed. Can I still install the VGS and will cause problems for the transimission?

Old 10-17-2005, 08:12 PM
RallyMINI2005
3rd Gear
I did want to post a quick update on my VGS mod:

First, everything is still running strong, no problems...

I have noticed that there the power-delivery takes some getting used to, I was on the highway today and I thought to myself "MAN, the pickup is 5th really isn't what it used to be, maybe I don't like the VGS after all... oh wait, I'm in 6th. Sweet."

One thing worth noting, I have an Alta CAI, and it used to have the VERY high pitch ALTA whistle, but after the VGS mod, this whistle is noticable GONE! I can still hear the intake, its just without the stinkin whistle, which is FINE BY ME!

Forgot to check milage, but it doesn't seem any worse...

Still a fan...
RM2k5

Old 10-17-2005, 08:21 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
I had done this to my last mini, 17% pulley, exhaust, intake. Every once in a while it would throw a code, usually it was right when I would let off the accelerator after being full throttle. It would come on and stay on, then would randomly turn off. It felt awesome when the light was off, but limp mode when on. :-/

Old 10-18-2005, 06:11 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What is the fault code? What happens when you switch back to stock?

Old 10-18-2005, 11:55 AM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
What is the fault code? What happens when you switch back to stock?
Shortly after this problem started occuring is when I spun the car into a wall..but I should be picking up a new mini this friday and first thing I will do is this mod cuz I ripped it off my old mini b4 they hauled it away.

Old 10-18-2005, 06:50 PM
blalor
6th Gear
another data point

Just wanted to post my experience with this. Last week I did the mod and noticed that things did seem more smoothed out overall, but the engine seemed to rev slower. I returned it to stock on Saturday. The thing that caught my attention the most was the engine revving slower between shifts. I blip the throttle when downshifting to match revs. I had a much harder time doing this with the VGS mod because I couldn't pick up the revs quickly enough.

Maybe something else is at work here, but that's what I noticed. I've got an April-'05 build MCS that's bone stock.

For those of you doing the installation, I found that removing the two black brackets in front of the IC (that the front of the IC cover bolts to) made removing and re-installing the IC a *ton* easier. You only have to remove the two inside bolts, loosen the outside ones, and then rotate the brackets out of the way. You can then loosen the IC boots and it comes apart much easier. More importantly, everything goes back together much easier, too!

Old 10-19-2005, 05:25 AM
mellow
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by blalor
For those of you doing the installation, I found that removing the two black brackets in front of the IC (that the front of the IC cover bolts to) made removing and re-installing the IC a *ton* easier. You only have to remove the two inside bolts, loosen the outside ones, and then rotate the brackets out of the way. You can then loosen the IC boots and it comes apart much easier. More importantly, everything goes back together much easier, too!
I second that!!! I posted the same approach. Take these two mounts off and IC removal/install is a snap!

I've installed this mod as well and under bonnet temps do seem to be higher though no real numbers..just touch and feel. I've also noticed a flat spot, which started yesterday, between 3-4k range. Will see if it's still there today. If so may go back to stock for a few days to see what happens.

Quick Reply: How To Drivetrain :: Operation Vacuum Gain System (VGS)