How To Drivetrain :: Operation Vacuum Gain System (VGS)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 09:32 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ingsoc
Anyone else experience these things???

I got the jerky throttle response when shifting, but only when up over 4000 feet in elev., that was my main reason for removing it.
I thought it could be a leak from stemming from the hardened vac. lines.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:40 AM
sfjames2
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ingsoc
Anyone else experience these things???

I got the jerky throttle response when shifting, but only when up over 4000 feet in elev., that was my main reason for removing it.
I thought it could be a leak from stemming from the hardened vac. lines.

Old 12-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
{snip}...Personally, I can't stand the yo-yo feeling every time I switch back to stock.
Ahmen, Brother!

Any minor adjustment I have had to make in driving style pales in comparison with the aggravation of the yo-yo. It is a joy to have my MCS display such smooth and even torque from about 2,800 rpm on up.

Do we know for a fact the there was a change in vacuum source for 2005? Anyone care to check their stock 2005/2006?

Theo

Old 12-13-2005, 12:21 PM
ingsoc
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Koopah
Ahmen, Brother!

Any minor adjustment I have had to make in driving style pales in comparison with the aggravation of the yo-yo. It is a joy to have my MCS display such smooth and even torque from about 2,800 rpm on up.

Do we know for a fact the there was a change in vacuum source for 2005? Anyone care to check their stock 2005/2006?

Theo
I saw schematics of the different vacuum config [once upon a time], and it does in fact use a different vacuum source, just not sure if it's the same one...

Anybody?

Old 12-13-2005, 12:46 PM
RallyMINI2005
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just wanted to clarify that my 'issues' with the VGS were not a hard-and-fast reason not to do it, they were just issues that my driving style didn't jive with.

The main adjustment I wasn't able to make was to operate the clutch a whole lot faster. If you are quick with your shifts, then the lurching was much less pronounced when shifting... it was still an issue when coasting to a red-light or something.

I should also add that my 05 MCS hasn't really been plagued by much yo-yo'ing. I have noticed it only ever-so-slightly, but it never really bothered me. I also have an ALTA CAI and 15% pulley, so folks without these mods might interpret the VGS performance differently.

RM2K5

Old 12-20-2005, 06:27 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI2005
I had posted earlier that I had installed the VGS on my '05 MCS, and I wanted to update folks that I have also removed my VGS.

MY reasons were pretty simple: with the VGS the bypass valve stayed closed longer, and when shifting under high-load (accelerating hard, etc) the bypass valve would stay closed just a nano-second too long causing some wicked engine-braking effects. This had the effect of causing a big JERK in between shifts, which felt like it was going to break something.

I drove around for about 2 weeks with the VGS just to be sure, and indeed I noticed this behavior pretty often. Once the weather turned cold this effect got even worse, and it finally got bad enough I was worried about the tranny, so I ditched the VGS, and I have to say, I am very happy I did.

Also, my mileage was worse with VGS, I think because the supercharger was working more often... or because my right foot was. Not sure.

On a final note, there was always something about VGS that I couldn't really verify easily, but it always felt like the last little bit of "omph" was missing when on the highway... like if I REALLY wanted to pass a 18-wheeler or something. With VGS there just wasn't anything there, and now without there is a last little bit of accleration waiting waaay down at the bottom of the peddle, which is awesome.

Anyway, it was an easy mod, and I'm glad I did it...

RM2k5

2 weeks? damn....I felt it the sec i took off after doing it and came right back and took it all off.

Andy and I both agree that this mod is very effective but at the same time, the motor mounts in these car are horrible and exhibit alot of movement during faster operations on the throttle.

I already have changed my upper mount and im tryin an experiment with the old one which i will get back to you guys about.

Old 12-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Tder
2nd Gear
I find the comments regarding the VGS interesting as I put in on my JCW MCS a few thousands miles ago in the middle of summer. Things I noticed was that at cold start in warm weather it made the car very jerky (almost exagerated yo-yo) for the first few minutes of motoring. It then smoothed out and seemed to dramatically reduce the yo/yo flat spot. I could still feel the flat spot but it was/is more subtle and was easy to add a little throttle and get through it.

In cold weather it feels even better. Strangely enough smoother at cold weather cold start and much more linear in general with even less of a flat spot. The pick off points on my early 05 are the same as shown in the various instructions so I'm confident the early 05s are the same as early cars. As an aside, the engine in general really seems to have come alive around 7000 miles or so.. seems easier to rev and more responsive.

Old 12-31-2005, 07:40 PM
Tit
5th Gear
I was speaking to an Aussie who had the VGS on his 03 car - which was mainly a track pig. He said it caused the car to backfire - to the point that it fried his cat and he had to replace it!!!

Anyone here have any thoughts about that? My mechanical knowlege is embryotic at best - I don't understand how it would cause the car to backfire....

Old 12-31-2005, 07:47 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
I'm no rocket scientist, but the VGS only reduces the amount of vacuum seen by the bypass valve. It doesn't affect air, it doesn't affect fuel.

Your friend may have had the VGS, but I can't think of a scenario where the VGS would CAUSE that issue. It may be COINCIDENT with the issue, but if the car is a 'track pig' odds are there are many different modifications to the car that would be more likely suspects. Especially if he's not running the stock ECU software.

Old 12-31-2005, 10:48 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There seems to be a misconception here

Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
I'm no rocket scientist, but the VGS only reduces the amount of vacuum seen by the bypass valve. It doesn't affect air, it doesn't affect fuel.

Your friend may have had the VGS, but I can't think of a scenario where the VGS would CAUSE that issue. It may be COINCIDENT with the issue, but if the car is a 'track pig' odds are there are many different modifications to the car that would be more likely suspects. Especially if he's not running the stock ECU software.
The VGS mod. taps into the intake manifold at #1 cylinder intake runner. The intake manifold sees a higher vacuum than the intake duct between the throttle body and supercharger intake duct.. This causes the bypass valve to close earlier as there is a higher vacuum acting on the bypass valve diaphragm allowing the supercharger to build boost earlier. Issues of back firing would indicate a vacuum leak. A possibility if that was the only thing touched when doing this mod.

Old 12-31-2005, 10:52 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Exactly backwords.

Originally Posted by norm03s
The VGS mod. taps into the intake manifold at #1 cylinder intake runner. The intake manifold sees a higher vacuum than the intake duct between the throttle body and supercharger intake duct.. This causes the bypass valve to close earlier as there is a higher vacuum acting on the bypass valve diaphragm allowing the supercharger to build boost earlier. Issues of back firing would indicate a vacuum leak. A possibly if that was the only thing touched when doing this mod.
The valve open under high vacuum, closed under reduced vacuum. With the action of the SC, the valve will close earlier ( in terms of post TB vacuum and RPM).

Otherwise, it would close in light load, and open under boost.

Matt

ps forgive spelling, I've had about 5 glasses of champagne! Happy new year!

Old 12-31-2005, 10:59 PM
Tit
5th Gear
OK...so....if there were a vacuum leak, how would that cause the car to back-fire?

Has anyone experienced any other issues, other than the initial roughness coming off the throttle (ie. engine braking)...?

Old 12-31-2005, 11:13 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
No clue.

But it's not easy to understand. The TB position is determined by a feedback loop in the computer via the pre-SC pressure sensor. The bypass valve opening and closing sure can mess with the reading there. The fuel is set (I think) based on the post SC T-MAP sensor. Vacuum leaks... well who knows how all this works out. It will make the TB close more for a given RPM and load, but it the T-MAP based control is perfect, the problem would be between the air the computer thought it should be getting, and what actually can get into cylenders....

Basically, I have no clue. But because the VGS can see boost, I put wireties on all the connections, so it couldn't leak under boost. Also reduces the chance of vacuum leaks.

Matt

ps, did I say Happy New YEar?

Old 12-31-2005, 11:17 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Tit
OK...so....if there were a vacuum leak, how would that cause the car to back-fire?

Has anyone experienced any other issues, other than the initial roughness coming off the throttle (ie. engine braking)...?
Not sure about the vaccum leak causeing a back-fire, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

I've had the VGS on my 03 for probably alittle over 30K miles now and I have no issues that have been mentioned above. I havent checked my lines in awhile (for hardening) but the last I checked them (about 10K ago) they were fine. All in all I've been very happy with this mod.

Oh, and Happy New Year to the Down Under Crew

Nik

Old 01-01-2006, 12:10 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your right! that was bass akwards of me duh

Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
The valve open under high vacuum, closed under reduced vacuum. With the action of the SC, the valve will close earlier ( in terms of post TB vacuum and RPM).

Otherwise, it would close in light load, and open under boost.

Matt

ps forgive spelling, I've had about 5 glasses of champagne! Happy new year!
It's the darn spring that closes the bypass valve (bypass valve nomaly closed) High Vacuum on the diaphragm over rides the spring and opens the bypass valve.
A vacuum leak will cause a lean condition. When letting off the gas this additional air will cause unburned gas in the exhaust to ignite i.e. backfiring.
I have run this mod almost a year now I like the quick throttle response, no problems. Thanks to Andy

Old 01-01-2006, 08:34 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
the dangers of drinking and posting...

I was well into the second bottle of champagne! But with the VGS, boost helps the spring.

Now, where's the asprin!

Matt

Old 01-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Tit
5th Gear
Happy New year to you both as well!!

Old 01-09-2006, 07:02 AM
MiniFr34k
2nd Gear
might sound dumb , but anyone have pictures of the wire ties used and where you tied them to?? i really want to use the VGS but dont understand the setup properly enough to diy myself.

cheers.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:04 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
So the question I have is for andy. Is it necessary for an 06 to install vgs? I'm going to be installing a boost gauge by the week. And I'm woundering.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:46 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FlynHawaiian
So the question I have is for andy. Is it necessary for an 06 to install vgs? I'm going to be installing a boost gauge by the week. And I'm woundering.
If you don't have any yo-yo, then I wouldn't bother. I certainly didn't do it for any other reason.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:26 AM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
I guess without a bunch of mods I don't notice it.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:55 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
If you don't have any yo-yo, then I wouldn't bother. I certainly didn't do it for any other reason.

Mine was acting up last week......rev'd the engine and it dipped below idle a few times and felt some power loss......Feels ok this week.

Im thinking its my by-pass.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:02 AM
dotBob
Coordinator :: Houston MINI Motoring Society
If you had the yo-yo, you'd notice it stock. It's likely that the later models (05 and 06) either don't have the yo-yo, or it's much lessened.

Old 01-09-2006, 11:39 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 1FSTMINI
Mine was acting up last week......rev'd the engine and it dipped below idle a few times and felt some power loss......Feels ok this week.

Im thinking its my by-pass.
I've had the same problem after 60K km... so I got a Detroit Tuned BPV and everything is all good now! My MCS pulls stronger than ever before!

Old 01-09-2006, 12:08 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
It would happen if i blip the throttle at a stop....Idle would drop below normal feeling like she wants to stall and my boost gauge needle is jumping at full boost in the top of 3rd.

Does there by-pass feel like the VGS.....i dont want that real response feel that the VGS gives you with these crappy motor mounts.

Quick Reply: How To Drivetrain :: Operation Vacuum Gain System (VGS)