General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surprised finding these after market parts!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 09:25 AM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Surprised finding these after market parts!

While missing too much my last year sold 2016 JCW, I just flew from Santa Fe [NM] to Las Vegas, NV, to buy this 2017 JCW with low mileage [17,500 miles] and the options I always wanted such as the Harmon/Kardon system, paddle shift and heads up display. This will be a keeper for sure.

What surprised me is how clean the under carriage is [maybe never driven in the rain?] and finding NM part# 328846, Aluminum Rear Control Arms, 1 1/4" diameter versus the stock 1", in the rear. [$369.95 + labor]. Found those parts while the car up on the rack for new Yokohama Advan Sport A/S tires which are fantastic, the run-flats being the most annoying aspect of the car.

I am of course wondering why? I have to say that considering the price I paid, the Subaru Dealer had no clue what they were selling! The Manager, while taking it together for a test ride, was actually shocked at the performance of the car and its amenities. I kept quiet not bragging about the qualities of that car! Did not even haggle the price. Took me months to find this car as I never stopped looking for one after selling my 2016 which was manual and painful on my new hips and spine plate and screws!!!

Anyhow, maybe some will enlighten me even though, from NM website

"Helm Joint (Pillow Ball Rod End) may generate some noise for its lack of rubber bushing while still performing normally."

Old 03-29-2019, 09:33 AM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
They are the same lower control arms that I have on my F56. They are useful for camber adjustments, especially after lowering the car. Nice little bonus there.
The stock unit is actually stamped out of heavy sheet metal.

Last edited by vetsvette; 03-29-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:36 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Old 03-29-2019, 09:37 AM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by vetsvette
They are the same lower control arms that I have on my F56. They are useful for camber adjustments, especially after lowering the car. Nice little bonus there.
Yes, as you say, nice little "bonus"... Thanks for the reply and enlightening me while excuse me for my ignorance. I am more, or have been [!!!] a motorcycle rider... [Ducatis and BMWs mainly... those were the days!!!]

Old 03-29-2019, 04:51 PM
bluonyx
4th Gear
Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts
OK, Beemerchef, 3 new threads and no pics of your 2017 JCW yet. Come on, man, I want to see pics.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:07 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bluonyx
OK, Beemerchef, 3 new threads and no pics of your 2017 JCW yet. Come on, man, I want to see pics.
Ah!Ah!Ah!
The scoop decals below the hood, well, I mounted them by mistake [don't ask!] and so waiting for another set for the scoops under the headlights. I will leave those on however. Maybe the Company will actually make some for my mistake!
I really did not like the red exterior mirror covers but I can handle them now with the additional decals and will even more when the other set comes in. It creates a decent optical continuity... To me anyhow! Will post a picture when they come in. Great quality product I must say.
[no tags yet!!!]

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (04-02-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 05:09 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
The stock unit is actually stamped out of heavy sheet metal.
This car has not been lowered so I have no clue why they were changed. One owner and no accidents either... Thanks for the photos.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:15 PM
bluonyx
4th Gear
Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Wow, you found a great deal, even the chrome beltline is blacked out.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:21 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bluonyx

Wow, you found a great deal, even the chrome beltline is blacked out.
Excuse my ignorance but what is the "beltline"? Always been more of a motorcycle rider... [and sidecar! When my great Dog and Buddy "Spirit was around until a year ago...]

Spirit and I on a cold winter day in Big Bend, Texas. Full time camping for 14 years! 5000+ nights in the tent...

The following 3 users liked this post by Beemerchef:
ECSTuning (04-01-2019), pjsjr13 (03-31-2019), vetsvette (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 05:46 PM
Kowboycoop
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is an AWESOME pix.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (04-01-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 05:54 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kowboycoop
That is an AWESOME pix.
Thank You. Sure miss my Buddy! 24/7 for 14 years... We sure got to know each other. Not a single complain ever from either of us...

Valley of the Gods, Utah... Happy passenger... and driver!

Old 03-29-2019, 06:07 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kowboycoop
That is an AWESOME pix.
A Video "Go Pro" made with us. They did a nice job. It sums up the 14 years we had!!!

Old 03-29-2019, 06:37 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
Keep an eye on the Heim Joints.
Racers normally check them after every race, replaced at least once a year.
Depending on the construction...ball material, race material, housing design and material they could last 6 months, they could last a year of daily driving.

I just bought a pair for my R53. I specifically...did not buy a design with Heim Joints..! Race race car, yes, street car...not my first or second choice.

Yea, yea...I know, someone's had this style on his/her car for the last 32 years and they are fine...! STILL, NOT a good choice for daily driving.

Mike

Old 03-29-2019, 06:46 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by OCR
Depending on the construction...ball material, race material, housing design and material they could last 6 months, they could last a year of daily driving.

I just bought a pair for my R53. I specifically...did not buy a design with Heim Joints..! Race race car, yes, street car...not my first or second choice.

Yea, yea...I know, someone's had this style on his/her car for the last 32 years and they are fine...! STILL, NOT a good choice for daily driving.

Mike
Excuse my ignorance again, I am assuming "heim" joint are the ends? Which do look different than the stock ends. They could break?

Unfortunately they came with the car. Of course I have no idea why the previous owner, especially if he knew what you know, installed them. They are not cheap... I doubt anything happened to the stock one throughout the 17,000 miles.

I will keep an eye on them if indeed "heim" joints are the ends.

Many Thanks.

Edit: just researched "heim joint" ad now understand what it is... Hope they hold up!

Old 04-02-2019, 07:15 AM
nolimit
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beltline (automotive) The beltline is a line representing the bottom edge of a vehicle's glass panels (eg windscreen, side windows and rear window). It also represents the bottom of a vehicle's glasshouse. This definition is found on all cars, regardless of vehicle body style.
Hopes this explains that term some.
A lot of cars keep getting their beltlines higher and higher, Like the newest Camaros can feel like you are Driving a bathtub.
​​​​​​​

Old 04-02-2019, 05:10 PM
SFMCS
4th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
If you flew from SF, then you are in my neighborhood. I'll keep an eye out for your new JCW. You may want to check out MINI in the Mountains this July. It is in Salida, CO. It was in Steamboat Springs two years ago (alternating with MINI Takes the States) and we had a good time. Look it up or PM me. By the way, I have a metallic black with blue "beltline" and trim. Sean at SF MINI is a good service manager and can be trusted.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:34 PM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by nolimit
Beltline (automotive) The beltline is a line representing the bottom edge of a vehicle's glass panels (eg windscreen, side windows and rear window). It also represents the bottom of a vehicle's glasshouse. This definition is found on all cars, regardless of vehicle body style.
Hopes this explains that term some.
A lot of cars keep getting their beltlines higher and higher, Like the newest Camaros can feel like you are Driving a bathtub.
​​​​​​​
Sorry for my ignorance in the terms used! Yes, it is black and I like it. Couldn't see it being chrome for sure...

Originally Posted by SFMCS
If you flew from SF, then you are in my neighborhood. I'll keep an eye out for your new JCW. You may want to check out MINI in the Mountains this July. It is in Salida, CO. It was in Steamboat Springs two years ago (alternating with MINI Takes the States) and we had a good time. Look it up or PM me. By the way, I have a metallic black with blue "beltline" and trim. Sean at SF MINI is a good service manager and can be trusted.
So sorry but I flew from Alamogordo, NM, to Las Vegas to pick up the car and back now. I however know Salida and around really well as my Buddy "Spirit" and I camped for 14 years full time and spend much time there especially in the summer at 9000'+. Great Canyon Rds. If I took the Journey I would however take the Jeep which is set up for camping and too much off road to bypass that!... Then of course it would defeat the purpose... I imagine you are moteling?

Old 04-02-2019, 07:58 PM
mcaanda
3rd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
That was a great video GP did... thank you for sharing. If you happen to do Minis in the Mountains I'd love to chat about some of your adventures had w/ Spirit.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:08 PM
vetsvette
Originally Posted by OCR

Mike
NM sells rubber boots to cover the joints and keep grit and dirt out. I've had my NM control arms for ~ three years now. Every time I change the oil I lube the RSB grease fittings and check the control arms. The boots are holding up well and there is no noticeable play in the joints. Alignment stays spot on. But, as Mike said, YMMV.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:14 AM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mcaanda
That was a great video GP did... thank you for sharing. If you happen to do Minis in the Mountains I'd love to chat about some of your adventures had w/ Spirit.
Will PM you... Thanks.

NM sells rubber boots to cover the joints and keep grit and dirt out. I've had my NM control arms for ~ three years now. Every time I change the oil I lube the RSB grease fittings and check the control arms. The boots are holding up well and there is no noticeable play in the joints. Alignment stays spot on. But, as Mike said, YMMV.
Thanks for the tip which makes sense. I am guessing they have to be taken apart to have the boots put on? I am one who can be barely trusted with a screwdriver! Will have to be a Dealer's job... BTW, getting a final price today with labor on the "Sport JCW" exhaust. I feel as it being an extravagant expense but... if not now at 70, when?

Old 04-03-2019, 07:37 AM
vetsvette
When you get the exhaust done it would be a good time to add the boots since it’ll be on the lift anyway. Tip: you probably want to lube the opening of the boot to ease the install. Those suckers are tight!
its an easy job if you want to DIY. A lift makes it a piece of cake. All you do is remove the mounting bolts at each end, install the boots a reinstall. You won’t affect the alignment.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:47 AM
Beemerchef
3rd Gear
When you get the exhaust done it would be a good time to add the boots since it’ll be on the lift anyway. Tip: you probably want to lube the opening of the boot to ease the install. Those suckers are tight!
its an easy job if you want to DIY. A lift makes it a piece of cake. All you do is remove the mounting bolts at each end, install the boots a reinstall. You won’t affect the alignment.
Appreciate the help here...

Would it be 4 boots? One for each end or just two? I am sure there is also a torque setting to know which of course NM would know.
Yes, it would be great for the boots to be here at the same time of the exhaust because honestly I won't do it! I am great in the kitchen as a 5 Star Chef but mechanically too challenged...

EDIT: 4 boots! Worth the price for sure...

NM.321070NM Eng. Rod End Boot Kit$45.00

I actually wonder why for that price the previous owner did not get them! I know "boots" from motorcycling and they are a must...

Old 04-03-2019, 07:59 AM
vetsvette