R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 R53 Factory HIDs converting to after-market projectors after-market HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 06:24 PM
Michita
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R53 Factory HIDs converting to after-market projectors after-market HIDs

I'm tired of looking at my factoy HID healights on my car and wanted to upgrade to those black housing projector headights that have the LED daytime light built-in(I think they're sick!).
So my question is this...is it hard for me to go from factory HID healights to halogen headlights? Is it just plug and play? Or do I have to change a wiring harness or something? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:43 PM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michita
I'm tired of looking at my factoy HID healights on my car and wanted to upgrade to those black housing projector headights that have the LED daytime light built-in(I think they're sick!).
So my question is this...is it hard for me to go from factory HID healights to halogen headlights? Is it just plug and play? Or do I have to change a wiring harness or something? Any help on this would be appreciated.
I'll email you instructions on how to convert it if you ship to me your HID's since you won't need them anymore. (joke). -Well no seriously....

I know the oem quality of the optics is far superior to anything that's out there. I respect that you want a different look, that's cool, just wondered if you had considered doing something like a joeymod to your xenon? You could end up with a modified look, and still have the best visibility at night -though I'm not sure how to/if possible to add any LEDs or angel eyes to the oem xenon. -Just throwing an idea out there

Edit: ps. If I had ever done such a conversion I would freely share the info with you. I'd have to look it up though. My guess is that the ballasts currently get the 12v that you'll need to power the halogens if you change over. Remember, that's just a guess, so double check it, and don't blindly follow my advise. BTW, in searching for a DIY thread, you may have more luck searching for how to convert from halogen to xenon, then you'll have to reverse engineer it. I'm just thinking it will be more common to find threads about people converting the other way.

Last edited by AlexQS; 06-09-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Michita
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great. Thanks for the tip

Old 06-10-2013, 10:28 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Most every aftermarket kit assumes you have halogens...and the the wiring is ENTIRELY different....
You might need to find a wrecked MINI to scavenge wiring....and like said above...reverse it..removing a few $$$ parts...guess you could sell them for a net gain in $$$, but IMO you will see a DRAMATIC loss of functionality....you get what you pay for with cheap optics...most aftermarket headlights are just for looks..most are actually kinda dangerous they are so bad. Good Luck!