General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with the domain name minicoopers.com?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do with the domain name minicoopers.com?

"Hang on Lads I've got a great idea".

I own the domain name minicoopers.com.

My dream for this site would be to catalog EVERYTHING mini, new & old, Real size models and miniature models with all information, magazines and newspaper articles, etc.

Let me repeat that. Catalog everything MINI & Mini.

I would like make it so that anyone can contribute anything like pictures, info, stories, forum, anything you can think of, etc.

Make it like wikipedia (minipedia), but only for our beloved Mini on the website.

As for revenue generation, what comes to mind is all current MINI dealers around the world paying to list on the site, various foundations, corporate sponsors and generous people.

What better time to start this ambitious project for the new year. Right now I'm in the dream stage.

I am looking for founders. Let's make it a reality. Leave a legacy. Where else can you do something that has not been done before.

Please email me PM me

Last edited by squawSkiBum; 01-07-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:47 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
Not to throw cold water on your aspirations, but...

First of all, good luck with the probably inevitable "cease and desist" from MINI/BMW for trademark violations with the domain name. There's ample legal precedent on that topic. Next, between NAM and the other MINI specific websites (look them up) the niche for MINI/Mini information on the internet is pretty well covered. Third, there's already an awful lot of competition for advertising revenue, you need a lot of content and a lot of website hits to be able to get any advertisers at all. How would you differentiate your site from NAM? What would be so different that it would bring users flocking to it? Then you have to pay for hosting, forum SW, and IT help, and attract a moderator crew to keep the spammers and trolls at bay. The internet is littered with the wreckage of websites that gave up rather than fight that battle.

Finally, never post your email address on a web forum unless you really like receiving spam. That's why we have the PM feature. (I took care of it for you.)

I thought for a while about leaving your post up, as what you are proposing is essentially to compete with NAM. But I thought the discussion might be interesting so we'll see where it goes. Sorry to be so negative about your dream, but as someone who has been "online" since the internet was the Arpanet, I've seen it all. Good luck!

Old 01-07-2019, 11:21 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
A brand new never posted before individual posts an idea looking for "founders" or people with money waiting to be separated from said money. I'd probably "mod" this thread out of existence.

The following users liked this post:
Robb M. (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 04:17 PM
squawSkiBum
Received 302 Likes on 223 Posts
^ Now Minnie, let's not assume the worst of everyone. He really does own the domain name (it is easy to check if you know how). There are still many obstacles, as I mentioned above, and if anyone is at all interested, here's a great article on domain name disputes: https://www.bitlaw.com/internet/domain.html

I'd be interested to hear the OP's thoughts on how he would differentiate from the existing MINI/Mini sites. It's a long, tough road from a domain name and a dream to an active website. The only things we mod out of existence are spammers and threads/posts about street racing.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:46 PM
ClubmanG
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would you ask 18 years after the domain was registered and 2 years since an update to it.
https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=minicoopers.com
Seems like you registered it to hopefully make money one day.
Obviously MINI does not need it, otherwise they would have registered it or tried to buy it, from you.
Honestly, i would contact MINI and ask them if they want it, for free I might add.

Last edited by ClubmanG; 01-08-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:49 PM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
Another Mini website/Forum is a fine thing to do.
BUT, as others have said, it may be a LONG road to hoe. Being that there are more than just one or two Mini web sites and forums in/on the internet, making it attractive enough to gain a good foothold of followers will be a task for sure.

I for one, would NOT give the man a hard time about it. That's just childish. Give the man his due, see what happens. If people follow, great, if it fails, he gave it a try..!

Mike

Old 01-09-2019, 04:40 AM
N2MINI
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It might would work IF, it is truely just informational. By that I mean no one can post except the Moderators who deem your info to be useful. Would be alot of work for the moderators to read each person potential post before adding that info to said thread. It would cut out all the BS, back and forth and the Oh I Like that type post. Purely the info is all that is there. Sadly that would mean no questions could be asked though..other then maybe thru PM's...

Old 01-09-2019, 06:10 AM
Mini_Vinnie
Received 265 Likes on 209 Posts
And it can be yours for only $XX.000 ..........