General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 12:39 PM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Driving Lights

I looked at Pelicans article on installing, and being a newbie to Mini's can't help but wonder why aren't all you need are the lights, brackets, relay, switch and wire? Why all of the special harnesses and hours of labor?

Old 01-12-2016, 05:42 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
you are speaking of the GEN1 factory kit for driving lights?

the wiring does get a bit complicated huh? This comes from two places/issues

one, the wiring is to make the lights 100% 50 state legal ... they are set to only come on if the brights are on and disable each time the ignition is off so they need to be 're armed'

AND (2) this functionality is reflected in the lighted switch

for this reason you find several wires running to the radio ......

IT IS TRUE that to add a set of driving lights without worrying about potential legal issues (typically only in a state where they require annual inspections of some sort) once the lights are mounted all you typically need is some wire, a relay, an on/off switch and an inline fuse ... a few dollars worth of stuff and an hour of time.

If going DIY, on a GEN1 the only 'factory' part I recommend is the brackets which make mounting relatively easy unless you are comfortable making a bracket on your own.

I'm just up the road and have installed several sets both factory and DIY if you need help.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:55 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
+1 factory set up. come on with the high beams, dot compliant, and we have the kit here: also the PDF install. The Full original kit is nla from MINI, but we sourced the kit and made our own all with genuine parts. Also linked is the factory switch/ button placement wire options

all the info here as well as the aftermarket set up:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...em-switch.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-12-2016, 06:05 AM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Wouldn't splicing the wiring into the bright light wire make it compliant?

Old 01-12-2016, 06:55 AM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
The lights only come on with the high beams? Well that sucks. Are these the ones on the ground or the ones you put on the front of the hood? Either way, it still sucks that they would only come on with the high beams.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:08 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniTigger
The lights only come on with the high beams? Well that sucks. Are these the ones on the ground or the ones you put on the front of the hood? Either way, it still sucks that they would only come on with the high beams.
They would also go OFF with the high beams. Next time you are blinded by someone's overly compensated lighting system who refuses to dim for you, reconsider your comment. There's other folks out in this world who like to see where they're going.
Just moments ago I was visiting another MINI forum with a thread howling in anger about inconsiderate, overly bright and blinding automotive lighting. It is getting to be a real hazard and painful scourge.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:23 AM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Most cars allow for driving / fog lights with low beams and they turn off when you're high beams come on - not the other way around. Look on the highways at night - all the '4 light' vehicles are cars with their headlights and driving / fog lights on. When they go to high beam, the driving / fog lights turn off.

For what it's worth, my current vehicle is one that blinds most people with low beams on (because of its height) - and I would like to think I am rather considerate as I turn them off (and go to fogs only) if I pull up behind you.

Some of the issues with overly bright vehicles / lights are the owners themselves, they want to see better and switch the originals out for something brighter.

The lights on the Mini is overly bright too if it hits you at the right angle.

Last edited by MiniTigger; 01-12-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:46 AM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
There's a difference between fog lights and auxiliary driving lights. Fogs come on with low beams and off with high beams. Driving lights are the opposite, on with hi, off with low. Fog lights are not meant to be used other than during fog or really bad weather conditions of very low visibility. FL are also mounted low, DL are mounted high. Beam patterns also differ, FL aim low, close and wide, DL aim high, narrow and far. That's one reason DLs have to be off when traffic is approaching, since because of their light patterns they are highly blinding, much more so than FL.
Many people don't realize that correct FL use is actually to use FL instead of low-beams. This can be done on MINIs: set light switch to clearance/positioning lights only and turn FL on. This does not work well with MINIs because the factory FLs are anemic. They should be about the same power as low-beams. The reason for this use is that in fog or snow, you produce just about the same light, but lower to the ground to have less reflection back to the driver. Low beams create reflection back to the driver, and that's why in fog they are turned off and FLs on.
The many people that drive with 4 eyes are not using FL correctly by leaving them on in all conditions, and if they stay on with low beams they are definitely FL and not DL.
Part of the problem is that many cars in the US are sold with FL switches that allow them to stay on permanently with low beams, rather than resetting with ignition off, like MINIs do.
IMHO though the worst of all of the blinding light situations is cars that are too high, like jacked up trucks, or cars that don't have leveling headlights and are loaded in the back. Even worse is jacked up trucks with 4 eyes. Another really bad situation is aftermarket xenons without auto-leveling. So the absolutely and utterly worst is a raised truck that drives with FL on all the time, and has aftermarket xenons w/o auto-leveling.

FL should be mounted low, and only be used in fog or low visibility and come on with low beams only, and in fact for proper use as FLs they should be used with low-beams off and only positioning lights/clearance markers on.
DL should be mounted at level of headlights, and only come on with hi beams.
Any other use is not legal, and IMHO inconsiderate.

Last edited by Zephyr1; 01-12-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:06 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by DaGriz
Wouldn't splicing the wiring into the bright light wire make it compliant?
this is how most "simple" set of driving lights get there - drawing the relay power from a high beam trigger. MINI just took it a bit farther by making it impossible to leave the driving lights in ON mode when the ignition is turned off. They automatically go to OFF and must be re-activated when the car is restarted .... you can't "leave them on" for next time . . .

confusing?

here are the operating instructions from the OE installation kit
http://www.minimania.com/pdfile/NMA3030_INSTR.zip

· Carefully remove the Auxiliary Driving Light
covers.
· Switch on ignition
· Depress the switch (1) located on the driver’s
knee bolster to place the Aux. Driving Lights into
a ready/standby mode.
· The Auxiliary Driving Lights are in a
ready/standby mode when the green indicator
light (2) on the switch is illuminated.
· The Auxiliary Driving Lights will only illuminate in conjunction with the standard high beam lamps,
which can be illuminated, by either switching on the high beams or by activation of the headlight
flasher.
· The Auxiliary Driving Lights can be deactivated at any time by depressing the switch located on
the driver’s knee bolster.
Reset mode:
Once the ignition has been turned off, the operation of the auxiliary driving lights is reset. In order to
have the auxiliary driving light illuminate in conjunction with the high beam lights, the auxiliary
driving light switch must again be depressed to activate the lights.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:11 AM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Thank you for the explanation. Here is an online definition as well:

----------------------------

Driving lights work with your hi-beams for greater visibility at longer distances. They project a long, narrow beam of light in a variety of patterns which greatly extend your range of view.

Fog lights work together with your low-beams to improve your visibility in foul weather, such as fog, rain, snow and mist. They emit a low, wide pattern of light that's designed to shine below the haze.

----------------------------

That said, I believe most people use their 'FL' because it helps illuminate the ground between the headlights and the vehicle and in some cases, out to the sides. On my vehicle, which is a raised truck - I do know when stopped that the headlights will absolutely be right in your face - which is why I turn them off. My 'FL' are not in your face as they are on the ground. They are also not as bright as my low beams. FWIW, I also drive a small car, so I do know what it's like with bright lights in your face - which is why I turn them off when I'm in my trick and right in front of or behind a small vehicle. I do try to be considerate to my fellow drivers. I drive the small car with it's 'FL' on too.

Last edited by MiniTigger; 01-12-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:17 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
With the headlights on high beam and these factor light on they are super bright. Back in the day they even had blue tint bulbs to give the rally light a more white light. : 63170412647

I am glad we can still get this factory kit. Lost of gen 1 MINI stuff over the years has one nla.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-12-2016, 01:36 PM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Is your kit less intense to install or is several hours as well? Any way to review the pdf install on the ECS kit?

Old 01-12-2016, 01:41 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
The kits is the same and the original kit : We just sourced the individual parts so it will not be NLA.

Here is the install to read and ready yourself.

PDF here

Old 01-12-2016, 01:42 PM
MiniTigger
5th Gear
Very nice.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:44 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
welcome.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:47 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
same **** I hung?????

Old 01-12-2016, 02:55 PM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
welcome.
Thanks. Is 2.5 hours realize stic?

Old 01-12-2016, 03:20 PM
Thorson
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have learned to turn all my mirrors down and/or away at night when a cluster of vehicles start catching up to me on the highway. Out of 10 vehicles, you can bet that at least two will not/cannot turn their brights off.

Last edited by Thorson; 08-25-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by DaGriz
Thanks. Is 2.5 hours realize stic?
Thats what MINI calls for, but as a first timer its going to take you longer. Unless you are very quick on installs.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:02 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
I didn't time it when I did mine, but it didn't feel egregious in any way.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:23 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Maybe the wiring / fitting wires and the cutting of the panel hole takes the most time.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:06 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
what MINI charges time wise

has NO reflection on how long the job actually takes ....

an experienced person will do this in 45 minutes to an hour

but if you go to a dealer you will be charged the BOOK rate PLUS anything that goes over.

not unique to MINI

as said to me by a MINI dealer owner:

"I make nothing selling cars .... all my profit comes from the service department."