General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:50 AM
murdoc
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed the DDMWorks intake yesterday that I bought from Way. Didn't really get to drive it after installing it last night, so this morning I got to really drive it. The sound, is great, the performance is pretty awesome too. I can tell a difference in the way the car drives. It is subtle, but it really changes the car.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:54 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
Had a little too much fun on Skyline Drive in VA today. Came around a turn pushing the car a little and in the oncoming lane was a park ranger. I didn't see him turn around so I kept having fun on a fantastic road. A few minutes later he's behind me and I can see him calling in my plate. Then he pulls me over at the next overlook...

Long story short, he gave me a "warning ticket" - looks like a speeding ticket, even has speeding as the "violation", but not a summons. He was very fare - made a point of telling me that it took him a while to catch up with me - not much I could say about that so I didn't. I figured that the wise choice given the fact that I have NY plates.

If you ever get close to Skyline, it's a phenomenal 105 miles of twisties - just take it easy and motor safely!
OOOOPS, just noticed your post Albie. Sorry I should have warned you about that! Isn't it stunning up there?! Hope you took pics!! Hope to see you today..safe travels!

Old 03-30-2012, 10:02 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by murdoc
Installed the DDMWorks intake yesterday that I bought from Way. Didn't really get to drive it after installing it last night, so this morning I got to really drive it. The sound, is great, the performance is pretty awesome too. I can tell a difference in the way the car drives. It is subtle, but it really changes the car.
100% agree!! Great mod...thinking of torque arm bushing next

Old 03-30-2012, 10:46 AM
inkspot1967
3rd Gear
Cool im waiting on mine from way now

Old 03-30-2012, 11:12 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by GigglesMcMini
If this is the engine mount you may want to drive a car with it already done. It can transfer more engine vibrations to the car's body and make the ride uncomfortable. Just been my experience.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:26 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by joe_bfstplk
Have fun in Germany, and have some jägerschnitzel and spätzel and a stein of hefeweizen for me....

C ya,
Dutch

Will do buddy.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:30 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
If this is the engine mount you may want to drive a car with it already done. It can transfer more engine vibrations to the car's body and make the ride uncomfortable. Just been my experience.
Thanks, M! Have heard this, going to check out further

Also heard it's a very worth while mod...

Old 03-30-2012, 11:48 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Thanks, M! Have heard this, going to check out further

Also heard it's a very worth while mod...
Poly engine mounts tend to "settle in" and vibrate less after about a month, too, so don't freak out if it vibrates a lot at first, as it will get smoother. My BSH mount mellowed nicely. When I first got it, EVERY little thing that ever thought about possibly rattling someday decided *today* was the day. Much smoother now. The "seat of the pants" feel is nice....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 03-30-2012, 12:35 PM
OldGameFreaK
4th Gear
I posted this up earlier but it disappeared.

I installed my Kicker 12" sub and JL Audio 500/1 amp. DAMN that thing hits!!!. Great addition to the HK system. My only problem is it's a bit over kill for such a small car. I will eventually need to build my own enclosure for it. The one I had to go with isn't really what I wanted to use. I need something a bit more stealth.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:52 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Giggles, torque arm mount insert is great. Had it put on yesterday. A little vibration at idle (yesterday) but today it's gone. No steer torque.
Had the Forge intercooler installed also.

Those are all great mods.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:33 PM
nskripsky
4th Gear
Pulled codes last night after I got my Mini limped home from work... Misfire in #1. I pulled plugs, and although they don't look "great", they're not terrible. I don't have the tools at hand to test anything else really, so it's going to be a trip to the shop next week.

Sadly, that means I don't get to drive it all weekend, and I'm going to have to see it on a tow truck.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:41 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
Giggles, torque arm mount insert is great. Had it put on yesterday. A little vibration at idle (yesterday) but today it's gone. No steer torque.
Had the Forge intercooler installed also.

Those are all great mods.
Thanks DR! Anything specific you noticed with the torque arm? I don't autox or do track or anything like that. I am attending the Dragon this May. I do club runs that can sometimes be a bit sprited. Would this mod be advantagious for these things?? Love driving my Mini. If it just makes it more fun, then I'm doing it!

Old 03-30-2012, 02:33 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Thanks DR! Anything specific you noticed with the torque arm? I don't autox or do track or anything like that. I am attending the Dragon this May. I do club runs that can sometimes be a bit sprited. Would this mod be advantagious for these things?? Love driving my Mini. If it just makes it more fun, then I'm doing it!
Is yours auto or manual? It'll work for both but probably a little more
noticable with a manual.
Either way you'll feel the difference.
The best I can describe it is before install when you kinda punch it, you get a pull in one direction. After the install that pull is greatly reduced and the overall acceleration feels more positive.
For a $60 piece, it's great.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:06 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
[QUOTE=drsimmons;3482390]Is yours auto or manual? It'll work for both but probably a little more
noticable with a manual.
The best I can describe it is before install when you kinda punch it, you get a pull in one direction. After the install that pull is greatly reduced and the overall acceleration feels more positive.
For a $60 piece, it's a great mod!

Again, thanks! Trying to research and learn. Never too late, eh? 58yr. old Grandma and having the time of my life. My Mini is Auto, and emailed Way about this. He responded at light speed that, yes, there would be a notable diff. NAM is making WMW a very rich man. Hey, great business ethic, customer service, and awesome products = successful business. Look forward to meeting the company at the Dragon! Have a MINI weekend!

Old 03-30-2012, 04:23 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
[QUOTE=GigglesMcMini;3482402]
noticable with a manual.

Again, thanks! Trying to research and learn. Never too late, eh? 58yr. old Grandma and having the time of my life. My Mini is Auto, and emailed Way about this. He responded at light speed that, yes, there would be a notable diff. NAM is making WMW a very rich man. Hey, great business ethic, customer service, and awesome products = successful business. Look forward to meeting the company at the Dragon! Have a MINI weekend!
Ha, I've got you by 5 yrs.
Yes, Way is the man. I buy almost everything from him.
Very knowledgable and helpful.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:28 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
[QUOTE=drsimmons;3482434]

Ha, I've got you by 5 yrs.
Yes, Way is the man. I buy almost everything from him.
Very knowledgable and helpful.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:30 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Huh, suddenly wished I'd taken Shop instead of Home Economics in High School....crap

Old 03-30-2012, 04:43 PM
AW2mini
1st Gear
Today I took my MINI to the muffler shop in order to one ball him, but ended up chopping both the muffler and resonator out (No emissions laws here in TN, just have to keep the cat on :P). After chopping those out though the mechanics realized they didnt have the parts or ability to do a straight exhaust because the battery box is in the way, so they sent some tube out to get bent and ordered some awesome looking stainless flattened rectangle tips for it. IN all they are charging me about 150 for all the pipe work and the tips, MINIs are VERY loud without a muffler. Especially because Im driving it around with the pipe cut right under the passenger seats that I no longer have in the car (no sound deadening). All in all the car sounds great, its just very very loud in the cab, but that should be fixed when we run the pipe out the back. If I can figure out how to post to YouTube Ill upload a vid of the car for those who want to hear what a un-muffeled r53 sounds like.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:45 PM
ishlara
1st Gear
Love both on mine !!

Old 03-30-2012, 05:53 PM
ishlara
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
The mount vibrates your teeth out I hear, the Torque Arm BUSHING vibrates a bit at idle but feels powerful in your hands and goes away when revs go higher than 2k and can't be felt at all driving, the snap you get is AWSOME! Best mod and Way described it as best bang for the bucks! Amen brother! The other part (mount) is for racing and vibrates the whole car according to Way and not for regular driving.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:04 PM
ishlara
1st Gear
[QUOTE=GigglesMcMini;3482402]
noticable with a manual.

I told you to just do it ! It compliments the CAI PERFECTLY ! Oh and I took a vet at a light in my justa as he was trying to get torque to his rear for the first three gears! He got my on power unfortunately we were on a straight road or I would have made him cry!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:39 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Yesterday: motored back from VA. Giggles - even if there would have been time to swing over to you, the DC traffic just destroyed us.

Once we hit NJ we could finally fly. Picture this: traffic moving along at 75 but the occasional yahoo doing 65 in the left lane fowling things up. A yellow convertible Camaro is having the same problem I am with yahoos. Then a black GT Mustang. Then a white WRX w/black wheels - great looking car. We've all had enough so it's any lane you can get. We were all feeling it and for about 15 miles it was all out and all smiles!!! The best thing was that it wasn't a pi$$ing contest and none of us were cutting people off or doing anything overly stupid. Even better was that my little straight Cooper MORE than held his own. Not one of those other cars left feeling the MINI crashed a party he wasn't invited to. Even my +1 was impressed and also surprised at the fun level going on with the four of us.

Having shared this motoring adventure, please motor with care peeps. Had any one of those three other cars decided to have fun at another motorist's expense I would have bailed.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:24 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Albie, I completely understand. Was disappointed, but perhaps someday. Prob asked you before but I am senile, are you attending The Dragon? Glad you had some fun this week. Shoulda warned you about the rangers on Skyline Drive!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:29 AM
inkspot1967
3rd Gear
Where and when is the dragon?

Old 03-31-2012, 08:39 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by inkspot1967
Where and when is the dragon?
Really?! It is May 2-6, in North Carolina. The Dragon is an 11 mile stretch of road with 318 twisties!!! this is the 10th anniv. For this Mini event. MOTD 2012. I am told that this is as close as you'll get to heaven in your Mini without actually dying! Google MOTD2012!!!!!!!!! this is my first time attending, and they have a record amount signed up! The rt. Is 129, I believe and the main event is at Fontana Village. Tough to get lodging at this late date, however....

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?