General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your mini today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Evasive
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
i didn't do anything to the mini today, but i did unbox my new set of wheels. :D

<3 CCW

Old 03-29-2012, 01:27 PM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fixed this temporarily with some slime and ordered a new darn tire. These tires are less than a year old!

Old 03-29-2012, 01:34 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
ra2fanatic - be sure to post us up some pictures after
you get the wheels on.

This modding is great stuff, ain't it!

Old 03-29-2012, 01:38 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BillyCuth

I fixed this temporarily with some slime and ordered a new darn tire. These tires are less than a year old!
Had a situation with my Yokohoma s drives but within 3 months after
installing them. Mine had an eye screw with about a foot of clothes
line attached to it. Luckily it was dead center and was ok to patch it (from inside).
Your screw isn't too far up the sidewall, did you check to see if an inside
patch would hold?

Old 03-29-2012, 01:49 PM
BillyCuth
4th Gear
I didn't, but going by repair guidelines I doubt a shop would touch it.

The hole in the tire is miniscule. It was not leaking air during a 25 mile ride home last night and the only reason I knew something was up was because my TPMS light went on. I checked last night when I got home and saw nothing. So I decided to wait until the morning and fill the tires with air when they were cold. I go out into the garage, check the first tire - perfect pressure. Move on to the driver's side rear tire and blammo, this screw is right in my face. But again, the tire sat overnight and lost 2 PSI.

I will ask the shop that replaces the tire to see if they can repair this one to use as a spare, but I feel better about replacing it. We'll see. Just sucks. Goodyear no longer produces the Eagle F1 All-Season so I paid a little bit of a premium to find one. Ticks me off.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:00 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 36rodder
Probably not married either!
Engaged! But she knows I enjoy modding and can't help myself, so she's fine with it. She loves the wheels too :D

Originally Posted by Evasive
<3 CCW

Originally Posted by drsimmons
ra2fanatic - be sure to post us up some pictures after
you get the wheels on.

Will do! I'll have them put on Saturday since I'm so busy during the week. They'll sit in the living room for the rest of the week

This modding is great stuff, ain't it!
Yes it is! Had my friend order me the new BMW F30 Performance Shift **** too.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:09 PM
AW2mini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
i didn't do anything to the mini today, but i did unbox my new set of wheels. :D

Those are f-in sweet man! Where did you get em?

Old 03-29-2012, 03:01 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by AW2mini
Those are f-in sweet man! Where did you get em?
Thanks! I have a friend who knows a bunch of the people at CCW. So he helped me custom order the wheels. Took about 3 weeks.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:43 PM
MinMin2010
5th Gear
Got in a small box from Outmotoring.com this afternoon. It contained a few goodies for the wife's Horizon Blue Metallic 2010 R56.

First to go on was the Fog lamp lenses.

Next was the chrome trim set. This pic does not do it justice. It really dressed up the interior nicely.

Lastly, the red beltline tape went on. It is amazing how much that changed the looks. It ties in very well with the MGP caliper covers.

Last edited by MinMin2010; 03-30-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:26 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
^^^Very nice.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:55 PM
joetiii
2nd Gear
Well... I got mine registered for the first time today. Thats exciting

Old 03-29-2012, 07:24 PM
jusso
1st Gear
Well today i drove it like it stole it !! I mean i pushed it and she (the mini) was amazing. When i pulled it in the drive way she had 143,399 miles on the clock.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had a little too much fun on Skyline Drive in VA today. Came around a turn pushing the car a little and in the oncoming lane was a park ranger. I didn't see him turn around so I kept having fun on a fantastic road. A few minutes later he's behind me and I can see him calling in my plate. Then he pulls me over at the next overlook...

Long story short, he gave me a "warning ticket" - looks like a speeding ticket, even has speeding as the "violation", but not a summons. He was very fare - made a point of telling me that it took him a while to catch up with me - not much I could say about that so I didn't. I figured that the wise choice given the fact that I have NY plates.

If you ever get close to Skyline, it's a phenomenal 105 miles of twisties - just take it easy and motor safely!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:31 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
Had a little too much fun on Skyline Drive in VA today. Came around a turn pushing the car a little and in the oncoming lane was a park ranger. I didn't see him turn around so I kept having fun on a fantastic road. A few minutes later he's behind me and I can see him calling in my plate. Then he pulls me over at the next overlook...

Long story short, he gave me a "warning ticket" - looks like a speeding ticket, even has speeding as the "violation", but not a summons. He was very fare - made a point of telling me that it took him a while to catch up with me - not much I could say about that so I didn't. I figured that the wise choice given the fact that I have NY plates.

If you ever get close to Skyline, it's a phenomenal 105 miles of twisties - just take it easy and motor safely!
A warning from a VA cop? Those guys are notorious chops-busters. Pixs or it didn't happen!

Seriously, glad you got off with just a warning. They're not terribly friendly to speeders, especially with NY/NJ plates....

C ya,
Dutch

Old 03-29-2012, 07:51 PM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Installed my Whalen shift ****!

Finally got to install my way-cool Welsh dragon shift ****!

I've had it for six weeks or so...it was the first thing I ordered for my MINI.

Doug did a terrific job working with me on the design.

I'd read up on removing R56 shift *****, so I had some idea what to expect. I actually got the **** loose from the shift lever on my first try (all that time at the gym musta paid off!). But then I was stumped for a second on how to get the **** loose from the shift boot itself. Found another post that said it was another tight fit inside, with a picture to help tell where to put some "convincing" flat metal something to pry the sucker loose. I used a flat blade screwdriver and a gentle touch, and one twist got it started to where I could pull it off.

Looks / feels / works great! Didn't know my MINI would have contrast stitching on the shift and ebrake boots...nice touch!

(Oh: and also put on my BlackJack scuttles, a MCS boot liner, console tray, glove box organizer, and some checkered flag tire valve caps that I got in my Christmas stocking...)

Old 03-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by joe_bfstplk
A warning from a VA cop? Those guys are notorious chops-busters. Pixs or it didn't happen!

Seriously, glad you got off with just a warning. They're not terribly friendly to speeders, especially with NY/NJ plates....

C ya,
Dutch
Yeah - I didn't have much hope for it ending well - I think the fact that he was a park ranger, no radar and that I was very respectful helped. Respectful and New Yorker don't always go together. Do have pics but will need to get 'em on my computer once I get back home.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:07 PM
tmors424
2nd Gear
Changed the oil with Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w30 5 quart jug from Walmart $30 bucks, OEM filter from the stealership $20 bucks (I know I got ripped off but, I needed it today). Reset the engine oil service light. $50 buck DIY oil service- done. Peace of mind from a fresh oil change going on a long trip, priceless. Giving her a good bath tomorrow then its off to drive her to Hilton Head Island from Delaware on Saturday. 7 years old and 50k miles on her now and she still looks brand new. She's an 05 DS/B R53. I still look at her in awe every time I get in to drive her. I'll have her 8 years in July. Longest I ever kept a car. She was one of the first 05 R53 refresh models to hit the east coast. I'll prob never sell her. Gonna have to spend some more money on her when I get back though. New motor mount, pre-pressed polly control arm bushings, polly front sway bar bushings while I am in there, brakes, and rotors. Already bought the pads- EBC Green Stuff. Any suggestions on rotors? Leaning towards the gold tone EBC slotted. Will prob just bite the bullet and get all of it in one shot from WMW. Should I go with stainless hoses while I am at it?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:14 PM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
Yeah - I didn't have much hope for it ending well - I think the fact that he was a park ranger, no radar and that I was very respectful helped. Respectful and New Yorker don't always go together. Do have pics but will need to get 'em on my computer once I get back home.
Same thing with respectful and NJ shore natives--it's a defense mechanism against the bennies....

Was teasing about the pixs thing.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 PM
minicooper1985
3rd Gear
While I didn't get any wheels or warnings, I did take the Mini out around Lake Winnebago. Was a great day for a drive. Cold, so you appreciate being IN the car, but sunny.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:52 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I moved it so I could get my motorcycle out of the garage and take a ride.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:36 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jusso
Well today i drove it like it stole it !! I mean i pushed it and she (the mini) was amazing. When i pulled it in the drive way she had 143,399 miles on the clock.
143K and only 18 posts. Now that is amazing.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:36 AM
Germarican
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
I really didnt get any of it, I'm on the northeast end of Thornton. I was seeing more body dust than smoke. I feel bad for the people who live around there though, having mountain property myself you always have to worry about stuff like that.
Hey,
Being stationed in Aurora in July. Wondering if the Mini dealership is worth visiting in Denver, and how are they with modifications?

Thanks.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:37 AM
jusso
1st Gear
@drsimmons well i got the car from my dad and he put the majority of the miles on it.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:01 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Germarican
Hey,
Being stationed in Aurora in July. Wondering if the Mini dealership is worth visiting in Denver, and how are they with modifications?

Thanks.

Ralph Schomp MINI has always been pretty good to me. They never gave me any S*** on any of the stuff I had fixed under waranty on my old R50 (There was A LOT of stuff fixed on that one) and even covered a clutch 1000 miles out of waranty. With my current R53, they love seeing my car on their lot. I havent ever had them fix a thing on it, but the parts room guys are on speed dial. I have even borrowed tools from the techs, so I could get a project done. There really isnt another dealer I know of that would ever do that.

We also have MINI of Loveland. I havent ever been up there (Its 60 miles away rather than 30) but quite a few MINI5280 members swear by them. They hosted the MITM auto-X last year and are performance nuts. From what Ive seen they are MINI owners and real stand up guys and gals.

Youre coming here and I'm going there, I will only be in Germany for 3 weeks though. Is there anything to do around Hohenfels on our company's day off?

Old 03-30-2012, 09:18 AM
joe_bfstplk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
Youre coming here and I'm going there, I will only be in Germany for 3 weeks though. Is there anything to do around Hohenfels on our company's day off?
Have fun in Germany, and have some jägerschnitzel and spätzel and a stein of hefeweizen for me....

C ya,
Dutch

Quick Reply: What did you do to your mini today?