How nice is the JCW AWD Automatic ?

  #1  
Old 12-15-2013, 08:36 AM
JPMM's Avatar
JPMM
JPMM is offline
6th Gear
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: East IA
Posts: 2,766
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How nice is the JCW AWD Automatic ?

How nice is the 2013-4 JCW AWD Automatic ? We have 2007 auto 328XI BMW and in sport mode , I don't mind it too much, is the JCW Countryman similar?
 
  #2  
Old 12-15-2013, 02:52 PM
07BPB's Avatar
07BPB
07BPB is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 680
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2013 Auto JCW Countryman and love it. I am really happy with the auto.

Im typically a fan of driving manual but the auto is really nice, specially for the daily commute.

The auto itself is a good lil box. Sport mode usually drops the gearing down so the car is more lively. The flappy paddles and the + - on the gear selector give you some options for shifting.
 
  #3  
Old 12-15-2013, 03:27 PM
JPMM's Avatar
JPMM
JPMM is offline
6th Gear
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: East IA
Posts: 2,766
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
  #4  
Old 12-15-2013, 08:14 PM
JPMM's Avatar
JPMM
JPMM is offline
6th Gear
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: East IA
Posts: 2,766
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 07BPB View Post
I have a 2013 Auto JCW Countryman and love it. I am really happy with the auto.

Im typically a fan of driving manual but the auto is really nice, specially for the daily commute.

The auto itself is a good lil box. Sport mode usually drops the gearing down so the car is more lively. The flappy paddles and the + - on the gear selector give you some options for shifting.
Wait a minute,,, how do the gear ratios change? It's a 6speed ,right?
 
  #5  
Old 12-16-2013, 04:10 AM
07BPB's Avatar
07BPB
07BPB is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 680
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is a 6 speed.

Sorry let me clarify, the gear ratios don't change, it just drops it down a gear.

So when you are typically cruising in lets say 4th gear at 1500 rpms, pressing sport drops it to 3rd and the revs go to 2000.
 
  #6  
Old 12-16-2013, 04:12 AM
07BPB's Avatar
07BPB
07BPB is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 680
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome countryman you posted.

You will be very happy.

Here's mine.

Name:  1072688_562566860456760_151993179_o-1.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  91.2 KB
 
  #7  
Old 12-16-2013, 05:53 AM
watchluvr4ever
watchluvr4ever is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Posts: 171
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 07BPB View Post
Awesome countryman you posted. You will be very happy. Here's mine.
Impound lot?












Just kidding! . Happy holidays!
 
  #8  
Old 12-17-2013, 02:03 PM
pidge1114's Avatar
pidge1114
pidge1114 is offline
Banned
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 709
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my Countryman and love the JCW even more, but even I have a hard time swallowing that the JCW is over $40k for 25 extra horses.
 
  #9  
Old 12-17-2013, 02:40 PM
JPMM's Avatar
JPMM
JPMM is offline
6th Gear
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: East IA
Posts: 2,766
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
I love my Countryman and love the JCW even more, but even I have a hard time swallowing that the JCW is over $40k for 25 extra horses.

but isn't the fJCW Countryman differences more than just the power? brake calipers, brake discs,shocks, springs, sway bars, engine internals, turbo, clutch, transmission, aero kit parts?
 
  #10  
Old 12-17-2013, 07:30 PM
MIminiclubman's Avatar
MIminiclubman
MIminiclubman is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 756
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
I like the auto discussion but in the end manual is more fun

However I had a manual S because I ordered when I commuted in Seattle. 2hrs in traffic with a clutch is no fun.
 
  #11  
Old 12-18-2013, 04:14 PM
07BPB's Avatar
07BPB
07BPB is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 680
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JPMM View Post
but isn't the fJCW Countryman differences more than just the power? brake calipers, brake discs,shocks, springs, sway bars, engine internals, turbo, clutch, transmission, aero kit parts?
That is correct.

- The brakes are slightly upgraded compared to an S, plus they are painted red.
- Springs, shocks and I am pretty sure the swaybar is upgraded as well.
- Turbo, internals, intercooler are improved compared to the S.
- You also get the aero kit and JCW wheels.
- Interior wise you have the blacked out gauges, jcw steering wheel and shift brake boot, JCW door sills, etc.

Once you start optioning up a Countryman S, the price starts to get quite comparable to a JCW, at least that is what I found.
 
  #12  
Old 01-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Z06_Pilot
Z06_Pilot is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 615
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 07BPB View Post
That is correct.

- The brakes are slightly upgraded compared to an S, plus they are painted red.
- Springs, shocks and I am pretty sure the swaybar is upgraded as well.
- Turbo, internals, intercooler are improved compared to the S.
- You also get the aero kit and JCW wheels.
- Interior wise you have the blacked out gauges, jcw steering wheel and shift brake boot, JCW door sills, etc.

Once you start optioning up a Countryman S, the price starts to get quite comparable to a JCW, at least that is what I found.
JCW also gets a heavy duty clutch which I like as well, and the upgraded brakes are Brembos on the front, and yea, the red is cool! Yes, you are correct about the rear ASB, but it still was not enough for me :-)
 
  #13  
Old 01-21-2015, 10:41 AM
Keysersozeh
Keysersozeh is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Norcal & Socal
Posts: 431
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am actually about to pull the trigger on ordering a 2015 JCW, I love my Coupe JCW but I need more space. I've been waiting for the F56 JCW, but really looking at my needs.. I need just a little more room than what the F56 can give.

This will be an automatic since I'll have to share this one and LA traffic is getting old in a manual.
 
  #14  
Old 01-21-2015, 03:45 PM
Island Don's Avatar
Island Don
Island Don is offline
3rd Gear
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 215
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 07BPB View Post
- Springs, shocks and I am pretty sure the swaybar is upgraded as well.
Actually, unless the JCW Countryman is vastly different from the Hatch/Roadster etc. flavors, the suspension is different in no way at all. Same springs, shocks, and sways.

This has always been the most insane thing about the JCW IMHO.

The JCW suspension is an option, and I believe either done at the port or the dealer - my understanding is that no JCWs come with it from the actual factory.
(Dealer installed it on my first JCW.)

I feel the brakes are quite superior, and the extra HP is noticeable as well. And the exhaust has just the right amount of increased growl.

I'm on my second JCW, so obviously I'm a fan.

Don
 
  #15  
Old 01-22-2016, 04:08 AM
1st JCW's Avatar
1st JCW
1st JCW is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Cumming GA
Posts: 56
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I ordered my 2016 JCW in late Oct and it came in late Nov. The dealer tracking was a little more comprehensive than the consumer level and it showed the car left England under the chunnel to Germany before being transported to port and ultimately to us. The dealer said BMW probably wanted to Q/A it before letting it go.

With over 2K on the ODO now he's performing past my expectations especially after owning a 2014 C7 Z51 that I traded (see photos).

As with the Vett, the 6spd Auto is not only quicker and faster top end, it's more economical. So far I've found I can drive easy in green mode with a mix of city/highway and average about 36mpg or manually shift using paddles in sport mode and get about 22mpg. Have to pay to play but playing is sure fun .

Car is pretty loaded with MiNi Yous Leather Lounge, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Pkg, Wired Pkg, Sport A/T, DDC, Rear view camera, alarm system, stripes, roof rails, rear fogs, LED Headlights w/cornering, parking assist, HUD, and satellite radio. List was $43,500. For me the parking assist is a waste as I'll probably never use it but just wanted the gizmo. Tried it once just for fun and it worked perfectly.
Originally Posted by Island Don View Post
Actually, unless the JCW Countryman is vastly different from the Hatch/Roadster etc. flavors, the suspension is different in no way at all. Same springs, shocks, and sways.

This has always been the most insane thing about the JCW IMHO.

The JCW suspension is an option, and I believe either done at the port or the dealer - my understanding is that no JCWs come with it from the actual factory.
(Dealer installed it on my first JCW.)

I feel the brakes are quite superior, and the extra HP is noticeable as well. And the exhaust has just the right amount of increased growl.

I'm on my second JCW, so obviously I'm a fan.

Don
 
Attached Thumbnails How  nice is the JCW AWD Automatic ?-3-dsc_1599.jpg   How  nice is the JCW AWD Automatic ?-1-dsc_1598.jpg   How  nice is the JCW AWD Automatic ?-2-dsc_1763.jpg   How  nice is the JCW AWD Automatic ?-1-20160103_112617.jpg   How  nice is the JCW AWD Automatic ?-imag0730.jpg  

How  nice is the JCW AWD Automatic ?-picasabackground-032.jpg  
  #16  
Old 01-22-2016, 04:40 AM
Z06_Pilot
Z06_Pilot is offline
5th Gear
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 615
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1st JCW View Post
I ordered my 2016 JCW in late Oct and it came in late Nov. The dealer tracking was a little more comprehensive than the consumer level and it showed the car left England under the chunnel to Germany before being transported to port and ultimately to us. The dealer said BMW probably wanted to Q/A it before letting it go.

With over 2K on the ODO now he's performing past my expectations especially after owning a 2014 C7 Z51 that I traded (see photos).

As with the Vett, the 6spd Auto is not only quicker and faster top end, it's more economical. So far I've found I can drive easy in green mode with a mix of city/highway and average about 36mpg or manually shift using paddles in sport mode and get about 22mpg. Have to pay to play but playing is sure fun .

Car is pretty loaded with MiNi Yous Leather Lounge, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Pkg, Wired Pkg, Sport A/T, DDC, Rear view camera, alarm system, stripes, roof rails, rear fogs, LED Headlights w/cornering, parking assist, HUD, and satellite radio. List was $43,500. For me the parking assist is a waste as I'll probably never use it but just wanted the gizmo. Tried it once just for fun and it worked perfectly.
Don't tell me you just used the words "economical" and "Corvette" in the same sentence. You don't have your foot in it enough....I guarantee you can get down below 20 MPG easily
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Ryephile
Suspension
104
06-25-2019 12:24 PM
igzekyativ
MINIs & Minis for Sale
31
02-07-2019 05:23 PM
theblackfalcon
JCW Garage
5
10-11-2015 09:49 AM
caiken
JCW Garage
33
08-27-2015 06:55 AM
ki7hy
F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+)
3
08-12-2015 07:07 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How nice is the JCW AWD Automatic ?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: