Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

2009 Factory JCW

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Factory JCW

Motoring file has posted the new 2009 factory JCW details,going to be quite a car....possibly 220hp ..take a look...What do you think?

Last edited by Mark Kurzius; 02-07-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:11 AM
JVAMINI
1st Gear
mmmm so sexy how much $$$$$$$?

Old 02-08-2008, 11:18 AM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Pretty sweet, but my car will be faster for far less $$$ once I get the rest of the ALTA goodies.

I just want those JCW wheels!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 11:37 AM
amazingrando
Auto on Sport Button guy
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be curious to see what Alta could do with the factory JCW coupled with the PnP ECU they offer...hmmmm...

Old 02-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rattmobbins
Pretty sweet, but my car will be faster for far less $$$ once I get the rest of the ALTA goodies.

I just want those JCW wheels!!!
Spoke to Someone today at Mini Corporate ...seems like this is going to be quite a car,the engine will be different from the standard S,new ECU and bigger turbo and Aprox 220 hp....new 6spd, shorter throw and stronger..new brakes and a catback exhaust,the wheels seem to be similar to the GP wheels...He said they will have more info in about a month...the car should be at the
Geneva show..this should get our juices flowing just a wee bit

Old 02-08-2008, 03:39 PM
rattmobbins
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mark Kurzius
Spoke to Someone today at Mini Corporate ...seems like this is going to be quite a car,the engine will be different from the standard S,new ECU and bigger turbo and Aprox 220 hp....new 6spd, shorter throw and stronger..new brakes and a catback exhaust,the wheels seem to be similar to the GP wheels...He said they will have more info in about a month...the car should be at the

Again I say, eh. I know it's gonna be cool, but not worth the extra money to me IMO.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:31 PM
chili_red07
5th Gear
Here's a link

Old 02-08-2008, 06:11 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
hmm.. the only thing im interested in is the revised tranny/clutch, brakes, and wheels. I wonder how the JCW brakes will compare with Wilwood.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:28 PM
woj
2nd Gear
I'll be heading down to the local Mini dealer to place a deposit tomorrow. I'll have to ask a friend in Geneva to get some pics for me

Old 02-08-2008, 07:53 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems like a street-legal Challenge!

Old 02-09-2008, 07:28 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There is something else to consider: for everyone going aftermarket, there are going to be concerns with the ability of the drivetrain to handle the extra power above and beyond what the Stage I kit delivered--if you read the Motoringfile article, the Stage I JCW stopped where it did because that was what the upper limits of what the engine/drivetrain was designed to handle. The stage II drivetrain has been significantly modified to handle the extra power.

Personally, I'm a little disappointed with Stage II. It addresses the engine (although for the life of me I can't figure out why LSD wasn't included) and brakes, but IMHO a Stage I with JCW suspension/rear sway bar and LSD will come in cheaper than the Stage II--probably significantly cheaper--and while not being as fast in a straight line, will perform better where it counts--on the track or autocross. I guess with BMW making the JCW a "special" car, I was thinking more along the lines of what they did with the GP...

Last edited by cct1; 02-09-2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's interesting the JCW has so many new parts. Maybe the current S motor/tranny can't really handle 220hp and the added torque. At least not in Mini's eyes.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:12 AM
davisflyer
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rattmobbins
Again I say, eh. I know it's gonna be cool, but not worth the extra money to me IMO.
Ahh yes, the time honored JCW battle. Is it worth the extra money. I went through this when I purchased my 06. What may not be worth something to someone, may be worth to another. I chose the JCW route knowing that everything was made to work together through extensive research AND with the full blessing of MINI, backed by the full warranty.

Not to take anything away from Alta or any other aftermarket company, but the fact is you may lose warranty coverage if you choose that route. Think of the extra cost of the JCW as R&D and warranty coverage, and it's worth every penny IMHO.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Msteadman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by davisflyer
Think of the extra cost of the JCW as R&D and warranty coverage, and it's worth every penny IMHO.
Agreed (and I went the ALTA route ).

Old 02-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by davisflyer
Ahh yes, the time honored JCW battle. Is it worth the extra money. I went through this when I purchased my 06. What may not be worth something to someone, may be worth to another. I chose the JCW route knowing that everything was made to work together through extensive research AND with the full blessing of MINI, backed by the full warranty.

Not to take anything away from Alta or any other aftermarket company, but the fact is you may lose warranty coverage if you choose that route. Think of the extra cost of the JCW as R&D and warranty coverage, and it's worth every penny IMHO.
So here we go...I too think the JCW route is definitely worth the extra money for the Mini Blessing and the BMW engineering.I couldn't be happier with my existing car and look forward to this new car coming.I have had the oppurtunity to speak with a Mini Corporate exec in NJ and someone in England at the factory.Nothing is cut in stone as to the exact specs for the car as yet and there should be more factory info soon.But one thing is for sure,this is going to be a great little car...Lets wait and see how they address the suspension issues..they have to do something to work along with the extra power,we can always make things work to our specific requirements.The Alta and other routes are always available but this new car is going to more of a brand offering and down the road far more attractive to the mini enthusiasts who like to drive a little faster and hopefully safer as well as having the warranty issues in place.It comes down to personal choice and whatever floats your boat...It will be interesting to see what they actually come up with...Take care and enjoy your cars

Old 02-09-2008, 12:14 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
The price will be probably at least $35K. Too much for me to afford.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:15 PM
lttletimmy
3rd Gear
I think it seems like an incredible car but if the price gets into used elise territory then to me the choice is obvious

Old 02-09-2008, 02:37 PM
rockridge
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope they reconsider some / most of the upgrade components for those of us with 2007 models.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by r56mini
The price will be probably at least $35K. Too much for me to afford.
I was thinking more like $40k. A non JCW can hit $35k.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Mark Kurzius
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lttletimmy
I think it seems like an incredible car but if the price gets into used elise territory then to me the choice is obvious
Two different animals,but I know how you feel...have you ever tried to get in and out of the Elise...I'm getting a little older and my back thinks the Mini is just a wee bit easier to deal with....

Old 02-09-2008, 04:06 PM
PGT
Banned
Originally Posted by Mark Kurzius
all good news, but it's still left in the dust by the competition. just 220hp? I bought my R53 months before the R56 launch and I justified it by saying I'd wait for the full-tilt-boogie JCW R56 and trade. <sigh> as pricey as the JCW will be, it has stiff competition. the '08 STI is now a 5dr hatch and has an underrated 300hp and AWD...$35k. A downpipe and reflash for $1200 yields 300whp and 360wtq. Even the Mazadaspeed3 for under $30k is quicker.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:40 PM
woj
2nd Gear
RE: PGT
I just don't see buying the JCW for the speed. There are many cars in that price range that are faster, the BMW 135i comes to mind as an example. I just placed money down for one today and I'd be willing to bet that the modded GTI that I am currently driving is faster in a straight line. I've had three GTIs and it is time for something new.
I'll be driving a stock 07 MCS hopefully by the beginning of next week and it's a matter of enjoying what you drive. To me the Minis are about having a blast driving, not about being the fastest around the block...just my two cents worth. I look forward to driving the MCS for the next 4-5 months and then I'll keep it as my winter car.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:28 PM
PGT
Banned
sure, but you're implying the cars I listed aren't fun. I've never driven the MS3, but the STI is a hoot

Old 02-09-2008, 05:35 PM
woj
2nd Gear
PGT:

not at all... I have good friends with Evos and STIs and they are quick and entertaining. I did drive an Elise once and that was even more fun.
All I trying to say is that it might be better if we viewed the JCW Mini as a sort of a M version of the MCS. FWD cars as a rule tend not to be the fastest in a straight line and in my eyes, I just don't view it those parameters.
We all have our viewpoints and I do not imply any thing.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
A modest MCS configuration is about $24k. Add the alleged $6500 cost for the new factory JCW and we're at $30.5k. I suppose the new components add up, but Ouch it's like MINI is charging for additional pieces not replacements!

Quick Reply: 2009 Factory JCW