F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Factory Alarm Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 09:45 AM
MiniMeR50
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Alarm Questions

So as I continue to go through my option list for my build, I'm a bit torn on a couple of items. Right now it's the alarm system.

I know that no car is truly 'theft-proof', you can only discourage the amateurs or slow down the professionals. What I don't know, is what the factory alarm option includes. For example, does it have a tilt sensor to sound if someone is attempting to have it towed or stealing the wheels? How about engine immobilization (I assume that is already standard on all Minis). Oh how it would be nice if Mini gave details about all of their options..

I'd love to head from those that purchased the alarm and was it worth it?

Old 10-04-2014, 01:23 PM
hotrunner
2nd Gear
In addition to your question, can the dealer install a Mini alarm system like yours after the car was produced. If yes, would it be the same as factory installed ? Any idea on the cost ?...thanks very much !

Old 10-04-2014, 01:36 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One thing I've read about the alarm, but I can't confirm, is that, without it, the car doesn't beep or flash when it locks.

MiniMeR50, there's a thread about what people wished they would have ordered.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-getting.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-options.html

The storage option is something people wish they got, because it comes with the power outlet and the storage floor in the back.
Some people expect the sports package has the sports suspension, but it does not.
Many people didn't realize there's no CD player.

Be sure to post your configuration before you order, maybe we can help.

Where in the world are you?

The White Roof Radio podcast said this week that the heated seats are luke warm.

Last edited by hammerhands; 10-04-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:19 PM
MiniMeR50
2nd Gear
Thanks for sharing the links and your thoughts. After much more reading, I'm pretty sure that the $500 factory alarm is very simple - just glass breakage (and the panic alarm/horn beep). No tilt sensor, no vibration sensor...basic. That's disappointing.

I'm located in Chicago, so I'm lucky in the number of dealers we have out here. I'm still working my configuration list, but once I'm done I'll be sure to post. The build is pretty loaded, including the Cold Weather package. I'm going to have to listen to that podcast, because $600 for an luke warm *** warmer will not make me happy.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:16 PM
MasterYoda
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by hammerhands
One thing I've read about the alarm, but I can't confirm, is that, without it, the car doesn't beep or flash when it locks.

MiniMeR50, there's a thread about what people wished they would have ordered.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-getting.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-options.html

The storage option is something people wish they got, because it comes with the power outlet and the storage floor in the back.
Some people expect the sports package has the sports suspension, but it does not.
Many people didn't realize there's no CD player.

Be sure to post your configuration before you order, maybe we can help.

Where in the world are you?

The White Roof Radio podcast said this week that the heated seats are luke warm.
The car does flash without the alarm. There is no beep though.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:31 PM
MiniMeR50
2nd Gear
So this is interesting, from the F56 Denmark option list

"7.021,24 for monitoring doors, bonnet and tailgate, including interior movement sensor, tilt sensor and emergency power siren, including anti-theft security system. Anti-theft alarm system activation display via LED in the interior mirror"

Of course this doesn't mean it applies to US-spec builds, but now I'm not sure (once again) what the alarm actually comes with. If it has tilt sensor, I want it and will throw my $500 at them. Why can't Mini make this easy?

Old 10-05-2014, 03:25 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 Owners Manual [it doesn't have much about the navigation or entertainment systems]
http://www.miniusa.com/content/dam/m...rd_Monitor.pdf

Page 42:
The concept When the vehicle is locked, the vehicle alarm system responds to:
▷Opening of a door, the hood or the tailgate.
▷Movements in the vehicle.
▷Changes in the vehicle tilt, e.g., during attempts to steal a wheel or when towing the car. ▷Interruptions in battery voltage.

The alarm system briefly indicates tampering:
▷Acoustic alarm.
▷By switching on the hazard warning system.
▷By flashing the daytime running lights
I live in a city that had a very high car-theft rate, the public insurer makes you install an immobilizer. My 2006 MINI didn't require one, I assume because of the MINI's theft deterent system [that you couldn't start the car without the electronics in the key].

Last edited by hammerhands; 10-05-2014 at 03:33 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:07 PM
MiniMeR50
2nd Gear
It'd be nice if our MAs were spot on all the time with the correct details. I understand that they aren't getting the clear answers from corporate...but still.