JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW 2010 R56 JCW with S aero (not JCW Aero) ?

Old 08-24-2015, 08:23 AM
Philipangoo
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 R56 JCW with S aero (not JCW Aero) ?

I have been looking at a local dealer with a 2010 Mini JCW. On the Carfax report it says 2010 Mini Cooper S John Cooper Works GP Kit. I checked out the car and it looked great.

The only thing that threw me off was that it was a 2010 JCW and did not have the JCW Aero. Most publications I read state that the JCW should come with the aero lip, side skirts, rear. This car came with the factory S Aero, but it also has JCW badges on front, rear, and door sills. It has JCW brakes, a very aggressive exhaust note with burbles and pops.

I guess my question is, was it possible to order a 2010 JCW with the normal R56 S Aero kit ?

Here is a link to the car

http://www.texasimportsales.com/web/...Texas/1757046/

I have to say.. I think the aero kit looks good. But I just want to make sure its a Factory JCW and not a JCW Kit added on to a normal S. Also I know that it is over priced even if it is a full JCW. Was one of the first Minis that I test drove and I loved so I just want to have some info to go back and negotiate since I think the car should be in the 14k range.

Attached Thumbnails 2010 R56 JCW with S aero (not JCW Aero) ?-ng_800-1-.jpg  
Old 08-24-2015, 02:19 PM
gialluS85
Neutral
I've a JCW 2011...same problem...S bumper with jcw logo...
I know that only from 2012 mini JCW have JCW Aero Kit installed.

Is called JCW FACTORY

(Sorry for my bad english)

Old 08-24-2015, 02:42 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,964 Likes on 1,764 Posts

This is a Factory JCW 2010 , in that year the JCW aero body kit was an option. Which he / she did not get.

It has the rare Hypersport Aero kit .... but with the additional black band , painted arches. Also.

The hypersport is also called the sport Aero kit.

They took the badge from the front grille from factory and placed in the correct location on the lower grille.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-body-kit.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-24-2015, 02:51 PM
gialluS85
Neutral
Ok...then i think maybe it depend only from the year of production...i'm sure that.... only from Factory JCW 2012 , the JCW aero body kit wasn't an option.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:35 AM
Philipangoo
Neutral
Thanks for the info. The car looks really sweet and sounds awesome. After surfing this forum though I have become very weary of the N14. This forum is a great resource and after lurking for a while I hope to find the right car.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:28 AM
cmacattack
1st Gear
2009 model year was the first year of the JCW as an actual model and not a factory or dealer installed kit. The first few years of the JCW model that were made for the states were manufactured with the base bumpers and skirts and the JCW aero bumpers and skirts were installed at the port if that option was selected when purchased. That option was over a grand extra, so a lot of us JCW owners didn't opt for it when we purchased it. So you'll come across plenty of 09, 10, and 11 model year JCW's that do not have the aero kit, but they are still very much a true JCW model.

Also note that because the JCW aero kit was a port installed option you will also come across plenty of S models that have the JCW aero kit installed.

Last edited by cmacattack; 08-26-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by Philipangoo
Thanks for the info. The car looks really sweet and sounds awesome. After surfing this forum though I have become very weary of the N14. This forum is a great resource and after lurking for a while I hope to find the right car.

Welcome,

Looks like they also added black line trim and some other mods.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 08-26-2015, 11:46 AM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
The factory Aerodynamic Kit was option 7AR.

Build Specs for car ...

bmwarchive_org_tf97704.pdf

Old 08-26-2015, 10:03 PM
jacobj
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just a heads up, I drove the 2011 MCS this place has, and the car was good looking from the pictures, but in person was not quite as great, as well as having a very poorly maintained interior, with disintegrated ***** and buttons popping off. The car also did not want to turn over when I drove it. Priced in the same area as other MINI's in the area. Wouldn't buy the Chili Red MCS they have.

The location was also seemingly shady, and the people there seemed pretty disinterested in me. They did however let me drive the car on my own.

This car is one that must have come in within the last week, as it was not there when I looked. I don't know if this one is in a similar condition to what I drove, but beware.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:29 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Sorry it did not work out.

Found some info on the ferrarichat

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/tex...ort-sales.html

Old 08-27-2015, 12:55 PM
Philipangoo
Neutral
I have no issues with Texas Import Sales, have successfully bought a car from them in the past. They are a tad shady... but hey you do what you do to get a good deal. This actual car look like someone used cheap SEM trim paint to black out the headlight rings because it was really rough. They have had this car for some time since I saw it online first about 2 months ago. Surprisingly they wouldn't budge much on the price and given the unreliability of the N14 I figured I need to get this car around 14k so I have a decent amount saved up to do maintenance. There are definitely better deals in the marketplace here on namotoring for 2nd gen N14 JCWs so I will probably just keep looking.

Also I never knew about BMW Archive that is an awesome resource! Thanks for populating that build sheet it's good to know.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:08 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If those headlight rings are rough they may in fact be plasti dipped. If so, you can easily remove the black coating (assuming there is enought coats on it)

Old 09-01-2015, 06:38 PM
NYC-JCW
2nd Gear
I bought a 2011 "Factory" JCW new from MINI.. At the time the JCW areo kit was going to cost me $3-4,000.. on top of the price of the car.. I was upset but could't see myself paying more then I paid for my used cars in the past for plastic add ons...
I see people that bought an "S" and put the kit on.. It looks great but for that money I would have put it toward a JCW.. A lot of people here have bought S's and started to upgrade.. I looked at that as foolish... From my build S to a JCW was $7- 10K I don't remember... But when you have an S and add brakes thats $2-2,500..Then exhaust $1,000 +... upgrade the turbo the ecu... you just exceeded the price of a base JCW voided all warranties.. With all the design work done by factory engineers..I'd stick to them over most not all people selling aftermarket parts... The factory specs are underrated.. Book says JCW 0-60 in 6.2 with 208hp... I'm doing 0-60 in much less then 6 sec. My scan gauge (I know isn't that accurate) said 256hp on a run I did.. So I would sat 230hp at the crank realistic..
The insurance on a JCW was lower then an S... Most isurance looks at the history of the model... There are less JCWs imported and made plus most owners of new ones are a bit more mature so there are less "incidents" to show a higher risk..
I know a guy that took an "S" and prob put more then 10K in performance parts brakes nitrogen filled seats who knows.. bragging his car is the ****... 3 times I spanked him without trying... It maybe the transmission is better too or it could be the driver...
Good luck.. just remember how many drivers had the car before you and how did they drive the car and how did they take care of it?... When most by a high performance vehicle.. It will be driven..at least once in a while with a little umm.. I don't want to say abuse but... testing...

Old 09-05-2015, 06:56 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Just go to CarMax in north Austin. See Jessica. Tell her MalibuJoey sent you. She'll get you a good deal on a JCW. That's where I bought both my Minis and I'm in California hahaha

Low miles, dealer demos, Sunday drivers. Found a JCW in Kansas only 21K in 3 years and had it shipped to Austin. If you use the CarMax nation wide internet search and set your parameters you'll find something in a few weeks.

The N14 is not a bad engine. Just timing chain. Which BMW replaced mine free. But if you keep the oil level topped off which you should anyway there's no problem.

But I would get a 2013 JCW for about 21 grand. Plus get the extended warranty will set you back 24 grand.

If you can find a JCW for the low to mid teens probably crap. I wouldn't trust a high mileage JCW unless I really knew the owner. Easy to abuse these machines.

You have to spend 18-23 grand to get a good JCW used. Otherwise you're buying the above from slim shady.

Also the aero kit is a joke. For 1200 bucks the only real noticeable difference on a used JCW are the lower side strip panels with the air duct. If it's on there and not marked up - fine. Otherwise who cares?

Originally Posted by Philipangoo
I have no issues with Texas Import Sales, have successfully bought a car from them in the past. They are a tad shady... but hey you do what you do to get a good deal. This actual car look like someone used cheap SEM trim paint to black out the headlight rings because it was really rough. They have had this car for some time since I saw it online first about 2 months ago. Surprisingly they wouldn't budge much on the price and given the unreliability of the N14 I figured I need to get this car around 14k so I have a decent amount saved up to do maintenance. There are definitely better deals in the marketplace here on namotoring for 2nd gen N14 JCWs so I will probably just keep looking.

Also I never knew about BMW Archive that is an awesome resource! Thanks for populating that build sheet it's good to know.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:06 PM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Some points here NYC:

- not sure the turbo is different on an S v JCW

- not sure who you're covered with - but I have one of the nation's top 5 insurance companies and the lowest deal - they SURCHARGE A JCW and rightly so. CARFAX which the insurance companies use for VIN ID term the JCW as a GP KIT car. they're on to the model as a high performance production car.

- I always thought a JCW can do0-60 in 5 but nice to know.

- TOTALLY AGREE ON THE AERO KIT - b*llsh*t. It's a 1200 dollar markup on the sticker. It's the side skirt you notice. And for 1200 bucks who cares?

I HAVE AN 11 JCW TOO THANKS!

Originally Posted by NYC-JCW
I bought a 2011 "Factory" JCW new from MINI.. At the time the JCW areo kit was going to cost me $3-4,000.. on top of the price of the car.. I was upset but could't see myself paying more then I paid for my used cars in the past for plastic add ons...
I see people that bought an "S" and put the kit on.. It looks great but for that money I would have put it toward a JCW.. A lot of people here have bought S's and started to upgrade.. I looked at that as foolish... From my build S to a JCW was $7- 10K I don't remember... But when you have an S and add brakes thats $2-2,500..Then exhaust $1,000 +... upgrade the turbo the ecu... you just exceeded the price of a base JCW voided all warranties.. With all the design work done by factory engineers..I'd stick to them over most not all people selling aftermarket parts... The factory specs are underrated.. Book says JCW 0-60 in 6.2 with 208hp... I'm doing 0-60 in much less then 6 sec. My scan gauge (I know isn't that accurate) said 256hp on a run I did.. So I would sat 230hp at the crank realistic..
The insurance on a JCW was lower then an S... Most isurance looks at the history of the model... There are less JCWs imported and made plus most owners of new ones are a bit more mature so there are less "incidents" to show a higher risk..
I know a guy that took an "S" and prob put more then 10K in performance parts brakes nitrogen filled seats who knows.. bragging his car is the ****... 3 times I spanked him without trying... It maybe the transmission is better too or it could be the driver...
Good luck.. just remember how many drivers had the car before you and how did they drive the car and how did they take care of it?... When most by a high performance vehicle.. It will be driven..at least once in a while with a little umm.. I don't want to say abuse but... testing...

Old 09-13-2015, 02:55 PM
ma_ayo
Neutral
I have a factory 09 JCW with exact same bodykit and painted arches

Old 09-14-2015, 10:23 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Post up some pics.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:26 AM
ma_ayo
Neutral
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Post up some pics.
There it is :

and I love it!

Old 09-14-2015, 10:28 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Nice ,same silver also. Looks like you got the lounge leather and the Nav very nice.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:24 AM
malibujoey
4th Gear
nice. what year? like the painted arches.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:52 PM
Philipangoo
Neutral
I like that color. Reminds me of BMW silver grey, a color I had my E46 M3 in.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:31 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yes MINI has very close colors to BMW , some are the same just called different. MINI even used RR for the goodwood color. Think silk green was the same but called two different thinks when it all started in Gen 1

Old 09-16-2015, 11:51 AM
malibujoey
4th Gear
How

did you do your black trim. Older JCWs look so much better than the 15s. Painted arches. Not bulked up. Like the console better in the older ones and the bumpers.

Originally Posted by ma_ayo
There it is :

and I love it!

Old 09-16-2015, 11:54 AM
ma_ayo
Neutral
Originally Posted by malibujoey
did you do your black trim. Older JCWs look so much better than the 15s. Painted arches. Not bulked up. Like the console better in the older ones and the bumpers.
The painted arches came factory from the dealer (was an option).

The black contour headlight and taillight was made by me with PlastiDip, if that was your question?