F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Leaving VW for a 2015 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 05:25 PM
HillmanMinx
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving VW for a 2015 MCS

I have thought about owning a MINI going back to the first "new" MINIs. My first VW was a brand new `68 Bug; since then I have owned 3 GTIs, 2 Sciroccos, 1 GLI, MKV R32, and currently a 2011 Golf TDI.

This past weekend visited a local Dealer to check out the latest F56 MINI and tried one of the showroom MINIs on for size. Wow, the last time I sat in a MINI was 10 years ago and the F56's fit and finish blew me away!

I am planning on a test drive before October 1st and reading about your buying experiences may explain how buying a MINI is unique experience. I'm thinking of going off the deep end with a volcanic orange and black MCS with 6MT, sport and weather packages. Comparing the leatherette vs. cloth vs. leather seat selections will also help determine seat covering.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:10 PM
torpeau
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillmanMinx
Comparing the leatherette vs. cloth vs. leather seat selections will also help determine seat covering.
Surprisingly, the leathette is not ventilated. One of my few regrets is not getting the cloth version in my MCS.

Last edited by torpeau; 09-09-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:17 PM
tripleTurbo
2nd Gear
I test drove a 2012 TDi and it was a fairly boring drive. The engine had a bit of character but it felt like a big car. I guess VW's customers want that?
Test drove the mini and instantly sold!

Old 09-09-2014, 06:27 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Black Pearl are the seats to get. No debate.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:27 PM
richreef
3rd Gear
Might want to look at JCW package. carbon striped seats are awesome as well as the package.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:34 PM
Mrdi
5th Gear
Cloth or perforated leather
We got the Black Pearl, very nice

Old 09-10-2014, 05:14 AM
g34343greg
4th Gear
i'm ditching my snooze-mobile (aka '12 VW Golf TDI) for an MCS as well!

Mine will have leatherette seats if i ever get the thing, but the Black Pearl is great and I would recommend it (so long as you don't have dogs. I imagine it'd be hard to get hair off of it).

Old 09-10-2014, 07:01 AM
Nuke-em
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have thought about owning a MINI going back to the first "new" MINIs. My first VW was a brand new `68 Bug; since then I have owned 3 GTIs, 2 Sciroccos, 1 GLI, MKV R32, and currently a 2011 Golf TDI.

Comparing the leatherette vs. cloth vs. leather seat selections will also help determine seat covering.
Welcome to the club. I traded in an '07 A3 for my 2014 MCS. I've had no regrets.

As for seats, I would go leather or cloth. No offense to those that have the leatherette, but if I'm paying this much for a car, I either want the comfort/breathability of cloth or the look of real leather. The leatherette looks like vinyl (which it is) and doesn't breathe; I really don't see the point. That said, I went with the Satellite Grey leather seats.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:54 AM
HillmanMinx
1st Gear
Outstanding recommendations! It looks like cloth seats are the better MINI seat. How about the HK radio vs. stock? There seems to be a trend in moving from VWs to MINIs and my test driving a MCS auto this morning showed me all I needed to tip the scales to going MINI. My local MINI dealer is expecting truckloads of new MINIs early in October and may find my new MINI then; or, go the whole route and special order my MINI with the CLOTH SEATS or leather depending on total MSRP.

Thanks for the responses so far and how about your experiences in the buying process.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Nuke-em
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Outstanding recommendations! It looks like cloth seats are the better MINI seat. How about the HK radio vs. stock? There seems to be a trend in moving from VWs to MINIs and my test driving a MCS auto this morning showed me all I needed to tip the scales to going MINI.
Go with the HK - no question. Well worth the money.

The main reason I moved from Audi is because of the lack of a manual transmission on the new A3.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:18 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by J_L
Black Pearl are the seats to get. No debate.
This. Literally not up for debate. Excellent look and feel with cloth centers that don't get hot and leatherette bolsters that won't wear out over time. All for only $750.

I really like the HK system. It's not a hugely heavy hitting system, but it feels well balanced. The subs under the seats are a nice touch.

Last edited by VicSkimmr; 09-10-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:23 AM
MINIwuff
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Outstanding recommendations! It looks like cloth seats are the better MINI seat. How about the HK radio vs. stock? There seems to be a trend in moving from VWs to MINIs and my test driving a MCS auto this morning showed me all I needed to tip the scales to going MINI. My local MINI dealer is expecting truckloads of new MINIs early in October and may find my new MINI then; or, go the whole route and special order my MINI with the CLOTH SEATS or leather depending on total MSRP.

Thanks for the responses so far and how about your experiences in the buying process.
VWs and MINIs have always been a comparison and shared ownership experience back and forth. If you read some of the VW forums, there are a few MINI converts there as well. I am on my 18th VW (this one a TDI Beetle Convertible), but have also owned 3 MINIs and 3 BMWs as well. I love them both for different reasons, but (im)patiently waiting for the new F57 MINI Convertible. In fact, the main reason I have this current VW is that my previous MINI lease came due last year and I did not want an R57 and it is too early for the F57. So I thought I would check out the TDI - which I have to say that I LOVE. Sure, it is no where near as fun as the MINI, but 50mpg and a 600 mile cruising range with a folding lined snug soft top is nothing to sneeze at. Regarding convertibles, VW has this locked down tight. Their tops are the best in the industry.

Back on to the topic, however, Cloth or Leather seats are definitely preferred. For me, I want the JCW Cloth and Interior Pack - great looking and great value. No offense to those with leatherette, but I just don't get it. I live in SoCal and it just gets too hot and sticky. I will say that my experience with the new F56 has proven that the leatherette material is far better and far better looking than the R5x/R6x models, but I would still prefer cloth or leather (or a combination). My nearest dealer does not believe in cloth, LOL, so it would mean special ordering or using another dealer.

And my recommendation is for H/K for sure! Especially if you are looking at a Cooper. The sound quality is much better. Speaker count is vastly different as the base Cooper has four speakers (one in each door panel and one under each seat) despite what the website states (try finding the F to R fade control in a Cooper - sorry, it doesn't exist). Cooper S models increase the base radio count to 6 and H/K increases it to 12 speakers in both models.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:38 AM
torpeau
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIwuff
Back on to the topic, however, Cloth or Leather seats are definitely preferred. For me, I want the JCW Cloth and Interior Pack - great looking and great value. No offense to those with leatherette, but I just don't get it. I live in SoCal and it just gets too hot and sticky. I will say that my experience with the new F56 has proven that the leatherette material is far better and far better looking than the R5x/R6x models, but I would still prefer cloth or leather (or a combination). My nearest dealer does not believe in cloth, LOL, so it would mean special ordering or using another dealer.
Non ventilated/non breathing leatherette was a real disappointment when the MCS I ordered arrived. Shocking that the better MINI seats would come that way. I'd think cloth would be easier to care for than leather and certainly more comfortable than leatherette.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:16 AM
Diana De Van
3rd Gear
Welcome to the world of Mini from another heavy VW/Audi fan. Here's my 2cents...

Advantages of Leatherette:

1. Look the best after a few years (no sag, wrinkles, cloth stains)
2. None of your friends will know it's not leather
3. An animal wasn't harmed
4. Free holiday (with the money saved)

And let me add - to anyone who thinks the "leather breathes better" - I notice no discernible difference between the Leatherette and high grade leather I had in my Audi TTS. If sweat temperatures are present - you will sweat/stick to your leather.
Mini leather is not ventilated Mercedes leather.

If you really want the most comfortable, best breathing seats on a budget - do what us Aussies do and get some sheepskin covers. Oh hang on, that negates my point 3 above

Old 09-10-2014, 10:27 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Test drove one with Black Pearl cloth seats and they rock. Color is gray not black. HK sound is a must if you listen to music. VO is the color I chose when I went to put a deposit on one in April, which wasn't successful. So I got my R58 JCW from another dealer's stock. I'd wait for a bunch to show up in October at the dealership. I personally think you can see the colors and wheels a lot better in person than on the configurator. The Black Pearl seats are an excellent example of the difference.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:38 PM
HillmanMinx
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Diana De Van
Welcome to the world of Mini from another heavy VW/Audi fan. Here's my 2cents...

Advantages of Leatherette:

1. Look the best after a few years (no sag, wrinkles, cloth stains)
2. None of your friends will know it's not leather
3. An animal wasn't harmed
4. Free holiday (with the money saved)

And let me add - to anyone who thinks the "leather breathes better" - I notice no discernible difference between the Leatherette and high grade leather I had in my Audi TTS. If sweat temperatures are present - you will sweat/stick to your leather.
Mini leather is not ventilated Mercedes leather.

If you really want the most comfortable, best breathing seats on a budget - do what us Aussies do and get some sheepskin covers. Oh hang on, that negates my point 3 above
LOL on #3. Thanks for posting.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:40 PM
HillmanMinx
1st Gear
It's almost unanimous, cloth seats & HK tunes. Thanks again for your input!

Old 09-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Mrdi
5th Gear
For Sale:
Synthetic Sheepskin.
Contact your local SPCA