F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Things You Didn't Know Your F56 could do:

Old 05-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Nochaz01
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things You Didn't Know Your F56 could do:

I figured there should be a spot here for this as well since there are a lot of new items in the next generation model. I will start it off with the sunroof: You no longer have to hold the toggle to open, tap it 3 times to open all the way and 3 times to close it all the way. Any variation in between leaves it partially opened or closed.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Mrdi
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turn the steering wheel to restart the engine when the
Stop/Start option is active.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:48 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure what option it goes with but if you flip the switch to the driver side side-mirror adjustment, when you put it in reverse the passenger mirror adjusts to point to the ground. Don't like it? Put the switch to the passenger side.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:46 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by dwdyer
Not sure what option it goes with but if you flip the switch to the driver side side-mirror adjustment, when you put it in reverse the passenger mirror adjusts to point to the ground. Don't like it? Put the switch to the passenger side.
That's what makes it go down!! I've had it on the passenger side so I don't accidentally bring down the driver side.

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2014, 07:20 PM
ojedam64
3rd Gear
I was wondering about that too!

Here's a question...I parked my mini tonight in a way that I was looking at it from behind, I noticed that the led ring kept throbbing red at the top, then eventually stopped but the hazard button and headlight control switch and start stop button remained illuminated, then they all went out but the start stop. Then eventually the start stop went out too.

Is this the normal shutdown sequence? Anyone else notice this?

Old 05-06-2014, 09:34 PM
AWDBat
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ojedam64

Here's a question...I parked my mini tonight in a way that I was looking at it from behind, I noticed that the led ring kept throbbing red at the top, then eventually stopped but the hazard button and headlight control switch and start stop button remained illuminated, then they all went out but the start stop. Then eventually the start stop went out too.

I believe some of this lighting can be configured in the Lighting options (heartbeat lighting for the LED ring for example).

Old 05-06-2014, 10:57 PM
dwdyer
5th Gear
If you have the paddle shifters you can start the auto-stopped engine by downshifting to M1. Have to remember to upshift or it shifts a bit late for normal driving. Going to M/S mode does it too as the manual says.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:25 AM
CobraBob
5th Gear

Are you pushing the Start toggle once or twice when you shutdown? If you only push it once, you remain in the Ignition position and some of the lighting will remain on. Also the radio. If you push it a second time after the engine shuts off (clutch out with the manual) the ignition shuts off, too. Along with all of the lighting and the radio.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:51 AM
ojedam64
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CobraBob
Are you pushing the Start toggle once or twice when you shutdown? If you only push it once, you remain in the Ignition position and some of the lighting will remain on. Also the radio. If you push it a second time after the engine shuts off (clutch out with the manual) the ignition shuts off, too. Along with all of the lighting and the radio.
twice, I shut down the engine, then do it again it shuts down the radio and gauges...then I get out, lock the door (it beeps to set the alarm) and then all that stuff I said previously happens.

Does yours do this? I never noticed until it was night time.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:40 AM
dwdyer
5th Gear
The image of the car in the instrument cluster, when you've stopped the car and open the driver's door -- it winks at you.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:37 AM
msbragg
1st Gear
This was a new one to me coming from a 2008... The cruise control buttons for accelerate and decelerate have 2 notches. Push the button to the first notch and your cruise setting goes up/down by 1 mph. Push it to the second and it goes up/down by 5 mph. Very handy.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:02 AM
VYPUR
5th Gear
The image of the car in the instrument cluster, when you've stopped the car and open the driver's door -- it winks at you.
I saw a video of that, can't find it now of course. I wasn't sure if it was real or just for the ad.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:58 AM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
btw, this does NOT work on my car, so it's part of a package.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:20 PM
ojedam64
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by msbragg
This was a new one to me coming from a 2008... The cruise control buttons for accelerate and decelerate have 2 notches. Push the button to the first notch and your cruise setting goes up/down by 1 mph. Push it to the second and it goes up/down by 5 mph. Very handy.
yes very handy, i like that it gives you the digital speed selected. when slowing down if you hit the minus to lower the speed, it feels like its hitting the breaks because it slows you down quick. All other vehicles I've driven just coast to the lower speed.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:15 AM
peter314
5th Gear
After driving the F56 all day yesterday, This morning I found that you can voice command to any menu instead of navigating with the control wheel.

Also I noticed that when you shut the car off with one push of the Ignition button the lights and radio stay on, If you get out, close the door, and lock it everything shuts off as if you had pushed the Ignition twice.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:32 AM
blanc71
1st Gear
What do you mean it winks at you?

Old 05-09-2014, 08:10 AM
peter314
5th Gear
Old 05-09-2014, 06:57 PM
StevenZoz
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
yes very handy, i like that it gives you the digital speed selected. when slowing down if you hit the minus to lower the speed, it feels like its hitting the breaks because it slows you down quick. All other vehicles I've driven just coast to the lower speed.
That would be the 'dynamic' cruise control

Old 05-11-2014, 11:54 AM
shraz
3rd Gear
twice, I shut down the engine, then do it again it shuts down the radio and gauges...then I get out, lock the door (it beeps to set the alarm) and then all that stuff I said previously happens.

Does yours do this? I never noticed until it was night time.
1x stop, music still plays and lights are on. Mine stops everything when I lock the car.
2x stop, everything off.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:53 PM
fxdavis
2nd Gear
Haven't seen any updated videos in the owner's lounge, but here is a YouTube link which has a bunch of feature videos for the F56...

"https://www.youtube.com/user/MINIvideoCH"

Last edited by fxdavis; 05-11-2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Fixed Link
Old 05-19-2014, 07:55 PM
shraz
3rd Gear
Is this a standard feature? Mine doesn't do that. I did read the feature in the manual and how to turn it off by just flipping the the passenger side.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:57 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Originally Posted by shraz
Is this a standard feature? Mine doesn't do that. I did read the feature in the manual and how to turn it off by just flipping the the passenger side.
same here. must be included in an option. hopefully when more folks get involved with NCSExpert we'll be able to unlock some of these features.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:02 PM
shraz
3rd Gear
I read around, seems you need the folding mirrors package

Old 05-20-2014, 06:21 AM
SeppTB
4th Gear
Originally Posted by shraz
I read around, seems you need the folding mirrors package
Seems likely. Thankful the Cold Weather package adds powerfold mirrors... guess I can thank our ultra-snowy winters for something, snagged me a feature I may have otherwise missed.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:43 AM
dwdyer
5th Gear
The auto dimming mirrors forces you into the auto-folding side mirrors as well, for those that want it without the cold weather package.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F55/F56 Things You Didn't Know Your F56 could do: