Electrical Countryman-Specific Coding - R60 Guide

Old 01-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Something else that needed to be added there is that the wire cluster that runs to the tach also does NOT have the wire needed to power the LEDs.

Hence, once the proper circuit in the BCM is found and tapped, we'll still need to run a new wire to the pin on the tach that is left out.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yikes!

This is an incredible example of determination! You guys are awesome! I wish I knew more about this stuff to be able to contribute in some worthwhile manner. I can create simple circuits and program an Arduino -- but something tells me that's my skills are at the "coloring book" level compared to "masters" level that GeoffreyM and theta have achieved!

(P.S. - GO PATS!)

Old 01-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Theta
6th Gear
It's the challenge that's fun.

Though, being an electrical and IT engineer helps.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:11 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Hmmm.....ok, but since we are looking at either the SPEG or the KOMBI I can't imagine that the LEDS are taking instruction from something in the BCM. I would bet that getting power to the LEDS from the circuit board or the like that is running them would work. My R60 has the DWA_VERBAUT set to activ and my side scuttles flash and my blinkers flash when ever I set my locks. Also if I set off the "alarm" all the lights flash as if the car had an alarm. Just no noise. So, I would guess that the "alarm" behaviors are controlled by computer not a junction. Hope that sheds some more light.

Edit: the guy who originally posted this, Cherobyl, coded the SPEG and the KOMBI, which would indicate to me that the tach(KOMBI) controls something and that the reason that we can't get it to work is a physical connection. I will try to compare my wife's R55 tach to mine and see if I can see the physical difference.

Last edited by GeoffreyM; 01-15-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:14 AM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Koopah
Yikes!

This is an incredible example of determination! You guys are awesome! I wish I knew more about this stuff to be able to contribute in some worthwhile manner. I can create simple circuits and program an Arduino -- but something tells me that's my skills are at the "coloring book" level compared to "masters" level that GeoffreyM and theta have achieved!

(P.S. - GO PATS!)

I know, i enjoy following these guys. you'll learn alot. they are very friendly and helpful. members like them is why i hang here

Last edited by countryman-s; 01-15-2012 at 07:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-15-2012, 07:20 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gly
hello,
in my old R55 (Clubman Cooper 2008) the LCD screen in the center of the tachometer could display the speed or time and temperature.
In my new countryman Cooper S November 2011 this screen can only display the speed.
is there a coding parameter to display the time and temp as in the clubman?

thank you
Yes you can. In the KOMBI module: DIG_SPEED_PERMANENT activ locks the speed in place ala newer models and night_activ allows it to scroll ala older models.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:21 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by countryman-s
I know, i enjoy following these guys. you'll learn alot. they are very friendly and helpful. members like them is why i hang here
So when are you going to let me code yours?!!?

Old 01-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Theta
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GeoffreyM
Yes you can. In the KOMBI module: DIG_SPEED_PERMANENT activ locks the speed in place ala newer models and night_activ allows it to scroll ala older models.
Good work, added to front page!

Old 01-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Theta
6th Gear
Hmmm.....ok, but since we are looking at either the SPEG or the KOMBI I can't imagine that the LEDS are taking instruction from something in the BCM. I would bet that getting power to the LEDS from the circuit board or the like that is running them would work. My R60 has the DWA_VERBAUT set to activ and my side scuttles flash and my blinkers flash when ever I set my locks. Also if I set off the "alarm" all the lights flash as if the car had an alarm. Just no noise. So, I would guess that the "alarm" behaviors are controlled by computer not a junction. Hope that sheds some more light.

Edit: the guy who originally posted this, Cherobyl, coded the SPEG and the KOMBI, which would indicate to me that the tach(KOMBI) controls something and that the reason that we can't get it to work is a physical connection. I will try to compare my wife's R55 tach to mine and see if I can see the physical difference.
Yep - I've spoken with Cherobyl several times about this which put me on the right track to figuring it out.

Like I said, it's not something you can simply give power to from a switched source (or anything inside the tach - the power there is for mechanical and illumination) unless you want it to be on at all the wrong times.

The only way to do it will be to bring the wire that's missing (even at the passenger junction) directly from the originating module to the blank pin on the rear of the tach plug. I'm going to send you a wiring diagram to show you what needs to be done, and where we need to look.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Theta
6th Gear
Actually, I'll post the schematics here, in the interest of sharing the info with other engineers down the road. This will get us going in the right direction for sure:

These are the most important files, but be aware they're in Vector (SVG) format because of the nature of the schematic. You can get the viewer here if you don't have any professional programs on your computer: http://www.adobe.com/svg/viewer/install/

Wiring Schematic 1
Wiring Schematic 2

Other files are attached to this post.

Attached Thumbnails Countryman-Specific Coding - R60 Guide-x9002-connector.png   Countryman-Specific Coding - R60 Guide-x9002-location.png  
Attached Files
Old 01-15-2012, 02:33 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
All yours to chase! I see the connection, but that's more than I wanna deal with.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Aww, crap!! I thought I had another sucker to help me with this!!

Old 01-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Note: Below info comes from a 2012 CM-S with an 11/2011 build date.

Just did this coding. It results in the center tach display element showing the ambient temperature on top and the clock underneath. The lower tach display element scrolls through the other options.

If you scroll one click past average speed, you see current speed for a second or two, and then the speed automatically transfers to the center tach display element (default behavior). The lower tach display element then shows the temperature and the odometer.

I am not sure if you can customize the content of the center tach display element when it is not showing the speed. Default (alternate) center tach display seems to be temp/clock only and not scrollable. Perhaps I just don't know how to display other content in the alternate display as my only other MINI is an R53.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
{snip}...Perhaps I just don't know how to display other content in the alternate display as my only other MINI is an R53.
So, I checked an R56 manual from 2008 and realized that the behavior produced by this change is exactly like the "old" R56 behavior. Thanks for this GeoffreyM!

Old 01-16-2012, 06:41 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Old 01-19-2012, 01:49 AM
gly
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot GeoffreyM;
I've received the câble and I will begin coding with this change tomorrow.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:20 PM
gly
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it works very well...
Thanks a lot...

Gilles

Old 01-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gly
it works very well...
Thanks a lot...

Gilles
Glad to hear it!

Old 01-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
So...I've been poking around as I become more familiar with changing the module setting and using the Expertmode to default a module. However, it occurred to me that it would be very handy if one could determine the Datens version used to last code the car. That way, one might be able to avoid making mistakes by used an older Datens file on a more recently coded module.

Do folks know of any way to determine coded Datens versions in advance to avert any potential of a mismatch?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:44 PM
Theta
6th Gear
So...I've been poking around as I become more familiar with changing the module setting and using the Expertmode to default a module. However, it occurred to me that it would be very handy if one could determine the Datens version used to last code the car. That way, one might be able to avoid making mistakes by used an older Datens file on a more recently coded module.

Do folks know of any way to determine coded Datens versions in advance to avert any potential of a mismatch?
In order to make sure we're all on the same page, the Datens version on the vehicle (in the DME) is constant, regardless of what version was last used to code it.

If you have v42 Datens, and use v45 Datens to code it - great, but the car still has the v42 Datens.

There is no automatic way, nor is there a use, to be able to see what the car was recently programmed with - only the current Datens version that resides on the vehicle's DME. If you were so inclined, you could compare the number of lines (code lines) in a trace file to other Daten versions that you have copes of. That seems like an awful lot of work for no reason.

If you had uploaded a v45 file to that v42 car with all sort of new options, then over-wrote it with a v44, you may well lose all of those extra lines. But, at the end of the day, the v42 car couldn't care less about those lines as it couldn't read it in the first place.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Originally Posted by theta
In order to make sure we're all on the same page...{snip}
OK, got it! Thanks.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Didn't mean for that to sound negative - I just wanted to make sure I was clear before anybody blamed me for not explaining thoroughly.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Didn't mean for that to sound negative - I just wanted to make sure I was clear before anybody blamed me for not explaining thoroughly.
It wasn't negative -- it was factual. Thank you!

Old 01-20-2012, 08:38 PM
youthanasia
3rd Gear
Just got my cable a couple of days ago. I'm reviewing (ringing it through google translate) the CHAMP TRC file and found this:

Code:
ENTWICKLER_MENUE
	nicht_aktiv
ENTWICKLER_MENUE_ASIEN
	nicht_aktiv
Anybody tried to turn this on? Google says it translates to:
Code:
DEVELOPER MENU
not active
ASIA DEVELOPER MENU
not active
Also, wondering what these properties do:
Code:
CDMM_USB_AUDIO_DOUBLE 
TERMINAL_UI

Last edited by youthanasia; 01-20-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:57 AM
hyde76
2nd Gear

To update your EDIABAS / NCS-EXPERT installs to the latest v45 datens, follow these steps (after you extract the file):

1) Copy all files in the /ECU directory to C:\EDIABAS\ECU
2) Copy all files in the /SGDAT directory to C:\NCSEXPER\SGDAT
3) Open the DATEN folder, and run LADEN.BAT

Your EDIABAS and NCS Expert should now be updated to the v45 datens, and you're back on your way to coding the newly-updated vehicles.
Theta, I followed your instructions to update to the new datens however I have one question in the update. Step 3, when I open my daten folder (under NCSEXPER) I don't have the LADEN.BAT file to run it. I have a folder under NCSEXPER called R56 and LADEN.BAT is in that folder.

What have I messed up here and should LADEN.BAT be run from the NCSEXPER folder or the R56 folder below it? It all seemed to run fine when I first did the install.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical Countryman-Specific Coding - R60 Guide