Electrical Countryman-Specific Coding - R60 Guide

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:11 AM
nexiss
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the great information I really just wanted to disable the block on the mini connected/nav system to let my children watch video in motion via I pod/IPhone. I downloaded your Enable Video/DVD in Motion for Connected guide. IS all the information contained there in to complete this? and also is there an alternative method like mechinacllly? Thanks for the help.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Nimrandir
Theta do you think that by changing the center console buttons with one that have the sport button it will work (and of course coding it)? I don't have the sport button on my S, but i'd like to add it...
Sorry I missed your post - just saw this for some reason!

Unfortunately, you have a good idea that is going to be fairly difficult to make work in this case. Having done extensive research with Matt from FES (makers of the Auto SportPlus), I know the exact trace-route the sport command takes in the R60, and it's not mechanical like in the R56. There's not going to be an easy way to add that button on your sport.

I'd need to pull the wiring diagram on the Euro spec R60 S - do you know off hand why they don't have the sport button on the S? I know you have the start/stop button there, which is going to be hard to deal with (the US panel with the sport button do not have the start/stop button).

Basically, your panel wiring goes to the same place, but the middle-man (as it were) may not be able to interpret the sport signal (since it's a digital signal). I'm thinking this would take not only a new button panel, but also the secondary controller. Past that, I don't know if the BCM on your car is different than ours.

But, then again - it might only need that button panel and a quick code change. It's worth a shot!! If it doesn't work, let me know, and I'll try to work with you.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:20 AM
Theta
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nexiss
Thanks for the great information I really just wanted to disable the block on the mini connected/nav system to let my children watch video in motion via I pod/IPhone. I downloaded your Enable Video/DVD in Motion for Connected guide. IS all the information contained there in to complete this? and also is there an alternative method like mechinacllly? Thanks for the help.
Yep, that guide should take care of it for you!

There's no way mechanically to disable this - in most cars I've modded in the past, you simply ground the handbrake wire to fool the car into thinking it's parked. In most euro cars past 2007, and US card after 2009, this became fairly impossible (most started requiring expensive 'lockpick' tools).

Good news is that this is free versus other expensive tools on the market that do the same thing!

Old 12-12-2011, 06:21 AM
MadCow666
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by theta
Sorry I missed your post - just saw this for some reason!

Unfortunately, you have a good idea that is going to be fairly difficult to make work in this case. Having done extensive research with Matt from FES (makers of the Auto SportPlus), I know the exact trace-route the sport command takes in the R60, and it's not mechanical like in the R56. There's not going to be an easy way to add that button on your sport.

I'd need to pull the wiring diagram on the Euro spec R60 S - do you know off hand why they don't have the sport button on the S? I know you have the start/stop button there, which is going to be hard to deal with (the US panel with the sport button do not have the start/stop button).

Basically, your panel wiring goes to the same place, but the middle-man (as it were) may not be able to interpret the sport signal (since it's a digital signal). I'm thinking this would take not only a new button panel, but also the secondary controller. Past that, I don't know if the BCM on your car is different than ours.

But, then again - it might only need that button panel and a quick code change. It's worth a shot!! If it doesn't work, let me know, and I'll try to work with you.
I had the sport button retrofited in my SD, as the dealership forgot to add when they had to reorder it due to new codes in the system. Ofcourse i didn't pay for it myself, but afaik the bill ended up in something like 800USD (which isn't that much compared to other prices from BMWs mechanics).

Old 12-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Jeremy Brooks
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by theta
5) Unfortunately, like I was talking about before, we're going to just have to keep hitting the sport and DSC buttons every time we climb in. Sadly, it's the Mini re-design that caused this. Those buttons no longer use the same type of signaling, and instead pass through a module before going through the BCM.
Seems like this would be pretty easy to implement via an Arduino module that would sense car start, and then hit the buttons via a relay a few seconds later.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:04 AM
threar
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeremy Brooks
Seems like this would be pretty easy to implement via an Arduino module that would sense car start, and then hit the buttons via a relay a few seconds later.
For the R56 someone created the Auto SportPlus Module. I'd like to see this on the R60, but unsure if it's working.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Jeremy Brooks
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by threar
For the R56 someone created the Auto SportPlus Module. I'd like to see this on the R60, but unsure if it's working.
We have a similar module in our '06 Cooper S. It plugs in between the back of the center console switch module and the factory harness. Pretty slick.

Does anybody have a wiring spec for the CMS? I might build something like this when mine comes in, and would release the plans and programming under an open source license.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Threar, not sure if you were following some of my other threads, but I was working with Matt @ FES for a good 2 months solid. The Auto SportPlus will not work on the CMS. It has to do with the difference in the BUS type in the CMS. Long story short, it can't be done - trust me, I put a lot of work in on that.

Jeremy, I have access to the CMS wiring schematics, etc. The problem, as I've posted in other threads, is that unlike the Cooper S system that simply uses an open/short switch system, the CMS uses a BUS interrupt between the switch and the CANBUS. It's nothing that can be set as switched. :(

Old 12-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Quick update to this thread (sorry, I've been gone for a while with the holidays):

I just got updated to the latest Datens, and will be adding information as I find it from this new software revision. It's removed some options, but looks like it added others...

More info to come...

Old 12-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Jeremy Brooks
3rd Gear
Ah, I didn't see the other threads. That does complicate things.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:51 PM
Theta
6th Gear
No problem at all - I just wanted to share the info before anybody else wasted more time on it.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:27 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm waiting for the ability to set:

VERGRÖßERN_GETRÄNKEHALTER
aktiv

Last edited by Koopah; 12-27-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Theta
6th Gear
HA! Love it!!

I was driving an R56 for a few days, and I now hate my R60 cupholders even more.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:14 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Θ,

I'm waiting for my cable to be delivered and thinking about the changes to be made to our 2012 R60. A couple of questions:

1) I assume that the new datens file contains any new 2012 R60 settings, yes?

2) You've mentioned that some modules settings have been lost with the new file. Are the following still supported?

- Sunroof One-Touch
- Keyfob Closes Windows
- Unlock Doors when Key Removed
- Disable Startup Legalese
- Disable Overestimated Speed
- Disable Key Gong

TIA,

Last edited by Koopah; 01-06-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Bump for a update (if available) on the new datens file...

Old 01-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Still been very busy lately... perhaps I can get something done tonight...

It's been a while since I logged into the BMW ISIS gateway. Let me see what I can pull from my car, and cross-reference to the latest datens...

Old 01-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Out in the cold garage now (which is odd because it was pretty warm today) - making some progress...

Old 01-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Alright - I've made a good amount of progress. It turns out that my car was updated to the v45 datens, which are fairly elusive. However, I've grabbed the required parts, and put them all into another file on Google Docs for you all:

v45 R56 Datens -- Click 'Download Original' at the top right to download the entire RAR file.

To update your EDIABAS / NCS-EXPERT installs to the latest v45 datens, follow these steps (after you extract the file):

1) Copy all files in the /ECU directory to C:\EDIABAS\ECU
2) Copy all files in the /SGDAT directory to C:\NCSEXPER\SGDAT
3) Open the DATEN folder, and run LADEN.BAT

Your EDIABAS and NCS Expert should now be updated to the v45 datens, and you're back on your way to coding the newly-updated vehicles.

I'm going through all the old commands, and testing new ones as we speak. Updates soon!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 PM
youthanasia
3rd Gear
Theta, can you find anything about these on there?

* A2DP/Bluetooth Audio Streaming enable
* HD Radio enable
* Plugin (under Connected) enable
* Office (bluetooth function) enable
* USB Album art enable

Thanks for all your hard work!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Almost positive I saw something in there for HD radio... let me check on all those.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Here are a few of the settings you are looking for:

CHAMP Module

CDMM_BLUETOOTH_AUDIO
aktiv

CDMM_USB_COVER_ART
aktiv

Last edited by Theta; 01-05-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Wow, what a pain in the *** this one was to figure out:

CHAMP Module

RADIO_IBOC
aktiv

IBOC is "In-band on-channel" - an early designation for digital interleaved signal now known as HD Radio. That's the only enabler for HD Radio in there.

That takes care of what you were looking for. The other two (Plugin and Office) are part of the Connected on/off, and from what I can see, not separate lines. I will let you know if I see anything different later, though.

By the way, I'm not sure if they killed off these options in Canada, but keep in mind that these only work if the actual hardware supports the options. I can enable all the JCW options, but it won't do much for me.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:50 PM
hyde76
2nd Gear
I guess I don't understand a few of the questions here. My 2011 R60 has HD radio and I can enable it in the connected interface. Why would this have to be coded? Also, by default and way before coding my album art worked both on my ipod and USB connected MP3 files. Why would this need additional coding? Also, before coding, I've gotten Pandora to work from an android phone, just not easily but it did work over bluetooth. I too would love to see office. Thanks for the updated daten files!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Theta
6th Gear
I'm guessing since the user asked, his car may be different from ours. It is a different region, after all...

That's why I didn't add it to the main post, since this was just a single request.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:58 PM
youthanasia
3rd Gear
Because my car doesn't have it (11/10 build, 2011 Countryman with Nav/Connected). I'm doing some research as the service center is giving me the run-around. Thanks Theta! I'll ask the service centre about these. It should be the same hardware I'm hoping.

Quick Reply: Electrical Countryman-Specific Coding - R60 Guide