Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical NCSExpert DIY(do it yourself)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 04:24 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wai_jai268
I have a dealer update done back in July 2011, don't know if it makes a difference, some people at E90 forum say it does, because it will cause a conflict with daten V41.
I'm not an expert on the newer software updates and the new datens. But if you got as far as you did you are probably setup okay.

Anyways, what I did was FA Write CAS and FRM taking out VO $838 in expert mode, then change to Revtor profile, and default all modules without removing the enable tracefile editor(? whats that?), then it gives me the error and malfunctions.
Re-try defaulting all modules after turning off the trace-file manipulation in the profile editor in the File menu of NCS. Use the the Expert profile for all of this. Just to be sure clear out your .man file first.

WHen you say original VO string, you mean the big tracefile in works folder, or just the tracefile each time I read a module (the smaller tracefile).
No, neither of those. It is a different file, and I *think* it is called FA.txt. It is generated every time you connect NCS to a vehicle. The file is just one line of text that is your Vehicle Order.

What do you think the dealer will say if I brough the car in?
Most likely the dealer won't be able to fix your problem. Unless there is a new software update that ISTA/P can push out to your car, at the end of that procedure, all of the modules are "defaulted"

Last edited by strobeyprobey; 09-06-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:29 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I think strobeyprobey is write, there is a FA textfile... really hope you still have it.
strobeyprobey and I (through millions of pm's) did figure out how to have the auto light stalk working. As he mentioned and probably you know, here in Canada; the city lights and headlights are ON no matter what.
My first attempt was the DRL modification,it worked fine for me, allowed me to use the bottoms lights as my DRL and have the headlight off...however I really wanted the AUTO stalk to work so we figured out to get rid of $838...and magic, car was coded (as a US one I guess)

Really sorry for you guys that have problems, I ran through problems my self and eventually worked them out.
If I knew, believe me I d help, some of you have 2011 cars and I can't help with that ... never even driven one.
Post on the sticky if you have, pm members,create a tread, someone out there knows whats up

If some members that have 2011 and have it working, come and help those guys

Cheers all.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:48 PM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So far so good,

I coded the Dig_Speedometer, Passenger Chime, and Auto A/C; however, when I try to SPEG and FRM modules I get this error:

Error in CABD! Look at CABI.ERR and ERROR.LOG
BIP-0009: Faulty BEST version of description file

I have the K+DCan cable with pins 8 and 7 soldered

I thought this cable should work for an '07 for all files. Tried the V38 and V41 datens. Any help?

Old 09-11-2011, 02:42 PM
alexs3d2
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SpyVsSpy
So far so good,

I coded the Dig_Speedometer, Passenger Chime, and Auto A/C; however, when I try to SPEG and FRM modules I get this error:

Error in CABD! Look at CABI.ERR and ERROR.LOG
BIP-0009: Faulty BEST version of description file

I have the K+DCan cable with pins 8 and 7 soldered

I thought this cable should work for an '07 for all files. Tried the V38 and V41 datens. Any help?
You need to use a newer version of EDIABAS: 7.2 will do!

Old 09-11-2011, 02:54 PM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
Thank you. I have the newer version but had not loaded it. I will give it a try. Do I stay with the V38 Datens? I don't think there is an install program for 7.2 do I just write over the existing files?

Writing over existing files gives me a "driver" error with NCS Expert.

Found how to install the updated EDIABAS from another NAM thread. Thanks again

Last edited by SpyVsSpy; 09-11-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:29 PM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
After unistalling and reinstalling to start fresh. I installed "Mini Cooper Coding" with the V38 Datens and verified it worked. I then copied and pasted "EDIABAS 7.2," pasted the older "EDIABAS.ini," installed the V41 Datens and then ran the associated "laden.bat" file. The only issue was recoding the changes. I had to download the ECU data, make changes, save the new ".MAN" file, then turn off NCS and EDIABAS, then started it back up and then Execute ECU. It worked great.

I code my R56:
Close Windows from FOB
Auto Doors Unlock
Double-Blink Emergency Flashers
Fogs and High Beams on together
Disable A/C Engagment from Auto Button
Enable Alarm Warning Light
Enable one-touch up for Driver & passenger windows

This is awesome Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:54 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear
so happy to read that.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:14 PM
threar
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the EDIABAS 7.2 update (make sure you copy it over the previous version, and then update EDIBAS.INI to the previous version, I made a clean copy first and that didn't work out) I was finally able to read FRM/FRM2 from my R60. I did notice that a few of the options on the R60 are different (but still seem to work as far as I've been able to test):

TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT -> FH_TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT_3R
VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL -> VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL_3R

I don't know how to test the DRL setting, but I do know the windows no longer interrupt if I open the door.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:38 PM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
I just coded my '07
BC_DIGITAL_V_KORRREKTUR
TUERAUF_STOP_MAUT
Both items worked and I added them to the spreadsheet. The Digital Speedometer correction was the hardest to verify. To the best of my knowledge it does work. With my new tires on I was 4mph off and now I am 2 mph off, so I am pretty confident it worked. NCSEXPERT is awesome.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:12 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Added the legal disclaimer removal to the spreadsheet.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:31 PM
GTECKO
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by GeoffreyM
Added the legal disclaimer removal to the spreadsheet.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:53 PM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
The guys over at bmwcoding.com have been doing some pretty amazing research and coding. I got their help on the legal disclaimer and they have also figured out how to make the video work while in motion. So now my daughter can watch video on the way to school. ;-)

Old 09-19-2011, 09:26 PM
threar
4th Gear
Success, the two features I finally wanted to modify: legal disclaimer and the video while in motion. Thanks GeoffreyM for the pointers.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:39 AM
TiggerGTO
3rd Gear
I can understand wanting to disable the legal disclaimer, but video while in motion -- really? It seems surprising that there is even a coding parameter to activate video while in motion on a screen visible to the driver. No offense, but I hope I am never on the same road as you guys.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:57 AM
Nimrandir
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by GeoffreyM
The guys over at bmwcoding.com have been doing some pretty amazing research and coding. I got their help on the legal disclaimer and they have also figured out how to make the video work while in motion. So now my daughter can watch video on the way to school. ;-)
Woah! Could u explain us how to do it ??

Old 09-21-2011, 05:39 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....full=1#post684

Go to post #176 for the pdf

Please make a donation if you use the info they have provided. If you are into coding, bmwcoding has a LOT of guys who are active and coding BMW products so there really is more info there than here. I am pretty much done coding, I have done everything I set out to do when I got the car. I love my car and I love what it can do.

Last edited by GeoffreyM; 09-21-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:44 AM
GeoffreyM
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TiggerGTO
I can understand wanting to disable the legal disclaimer, but video while in motion -- really? It seems surprising that there is even a coding parameter to activate video while in motion on a screen visible to the driver. No offense, but I hope I am never on the same road as you guys.
None taken, if I can #1 adjust the computer settings on my car, I think I am smart enough to be safe on the road
#2 not look at the video while I am driving and
#3 I really am not interested in watching Word Girl, although my daughter is.

Lastly, the man/woman on the road texting or talking on the phone is a hell of a lot more dangerous than the guy whose 8 year old is watch TV next to him.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:52 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
GeoffreyM - you are probably talking about my boy. He's always helping people - hit him up directly if you have more questions - he can help with all of it.

ncscodingisfun@gmail.com

Old 09-28-2011, 10:55 AM
TheCheatOSX
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
I seem to recall someone offering to change the service interval countdown values, maybe it was Way. Could have been Gen 1 only, I'm not sure. Has anyone done this with NCSExpert or maybe that is something DIS could do. Since I'm way out of service warranty it would be nice if they were set to what I actually use (7 K for oil) for a little extra reminder.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:24 PM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Anyone know whats wrong here? it happens right after i press CAS

Old 09-29-2011, 04:04 AM
TiggerGTO
3rd Gear
I've seen that problem before. When I saw it, I reseated the cable connection to the car, retried and had no problems after that. I don't know what else to suggest if you are seeing this problem every time.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:00 AM
trekker44
Neutral
I got the same error before

I received the same error when trying to code my 2010 MCC. It turned out my cable didn't have pins 7 and 8 shorted. When I soldered them together the problem was solved. Don't know if this would help you or not.

Originally Posted by Achilles honor
Anyone know whats wrong here? it happens right after i press CAS

Old 09-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Achilles honor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TiggerGTO
I've seen that problem before. When I saw it, I reseated the cable connection to the car, retried and had no problems after that. I don't know what else to suggest if you are seeing this problem every time.
i reseated the cable a bunch still isnt working blah
Originally Posted by trekker44
I received the same error when trying to code my 2010 MCC. It turned out my cable didn't have pins 7 and 8 shorted. When I soldered them together the problem was solved. Don't know if this would help you or not.
deff my last resort option

Old 10-11-2011, 05:21 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
On a separate thread, I read that you can disable TPMS through NCS Expert. Can anyone tell me the code I need to input to do so (if possible)?

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:13 PM
TheCheatOSX
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
The only TPMS disable I've seen is on the BMW Coding spreadsheet. You have to modify the Vehicle Order (VO) with: $2VB. I've NOT tested it as I lucked out with my early 2007 that did not have TPMS

TPMS Disable V.O. in FA string $2VB

Quick Reply: Electrical NCSExpert DIY(do it yourself)